Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

Unread 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
VHS/BSO May 30th, 2007

i had my Vaginal Hysterectomy and BSO May 30th and went home three days later. my doctor removed everything.

i can say it was the worst thing i have ever gone through in my life. i almost walked back out when i was waiting for the nurse to take me upstairs. Two more seconds and i would have done it too! What killed me the most before surgery was they kept asking me "is someone here with you?" and i kept saying "no, i'm alone" over and over. Because i still had to talk to the anestetic person they couldn't give me anything to relax me. i finally met with everyone and my doctor came in and i started bawling my head off. Before i could hiccup i had something in my iv and was on my way.

i woke up in the worst pain 1 1/2 hours later. The doctor told me the pain meds they gave me in recovery would have stopped a normal persons heart. i was up in my room a few hours later. They insisted in giving me a morphine pump, even though i told them morphine didn't work well on me. Finally, as a friend of mine came around the corner and took one look at me and yelled to the nurse, they got me started on demerol shots and torodol instead. i was literally lying in his arms, screaming, crying and incoherant. It had been about... 12 hours at this point of pain. my blood pressure was about 80/47 as well.

We finally got a good handle on demoral and toridal for me to go on the pills, and for them to remove my cathetor. i got up and walked late in the evening on my second day in the hospital. i was just exhausted. i finally ate more solid food the morning of day three. i came home late that afternoon. i am still taking the demoral pills (100 mg) every six hours or so. i am also taking 1 mg of Estradiol a day and went through my first hot flash sweats in the hospital.

i was suprised that you really can't do anything! i was not prepared for the pain, the swollen stomach or the crying bouts i keep having.

i pretty much stay upstairs in my room, and am grateful my oldest daughter came out from CA to AZ to handle things with my 14 year old for me.

Before i left the hospital my doctor called and told me the pathology report said i had numerous cysts on my ovaries and tubes and also had cysts inside my tubes! He'd never seen a cyst actually inside the fallopian tube. He also said there was a mass growing inside my Uterus that he was going to assume was just a fybroid, but oncology would tell us that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

G'day girls , hope you are all behaving yourselves. The worst part really was the waiting... I'd specificaly chosen a particular day at a particular hosp, so I would get a particular anaesthetist, who then had to be somewhere else and Tuesday's list was cancelled. So knowing the anaesthetist who has Wed's list, and not being at all impressed by him, I tried all I could, short of waiting another 4-6 weeks, to get a different dr, with no sucess. I was stuck with an anaesthetist I had no confidence in. Didn't do much for my state of mind pre op, but as my DH said, all of his other pts had survived.
Anyhow, went to the OR about 9am ,climbed onto table , said hello to surgeon, assistant and a few staff members I knew, and dont remember another thing until after I was back in my room and hubby was waiting for me,God it was good to know he was there!
I was glad of the catheter that first night, although it was a litlle awkward remembering to bring the tube with me when I rolled over, it was nice not having to get up to the bathroom or on a pan!
I was suprised how well I felt the next am after cathheter out and a long shower and my own clothes ,but I still kept up with almost all the pain meds I was allowed. My story was I only had one chance to get 'high' legally so I may as well make the most of it!! As it turns out, most meds are a bit "smart" and dont get you high until after they've covered the pain.

Got home Saturday lunchtime and have been doing pretty well, hubby is funny telling me to stop doing things and then spending the next half hour yelling at teenage girls to do it. It would actually be easier for me to do the small stuff and not have the yelling, but at least he means well, and the girls are doing what I cant. Our eldest is in her final year of school so there is a bit of stressing out in that department.

Today was a surprise for me, I just didn't feel great to start with and then had an overwhelming bout of pain, I almost fainted, so spent the rest of the morning on the lounge , I didn't even feel guilty! Things will only get better for all of us ,keep up the good work of healing and hope to meet you again later.

luv tania
Unread 06-05-2007, 02:49 AM

Hello ladies...Well today things took a turn for the worse and my low grade temp went crazy and got pretty high with alot of pelvic pain and pressure.. Doctor sent me to the ER where they diagnosed an early case of pelvic cellulitis and sent me home on two heavy duty antibiotics and increased rest and fluids, I have to follow up in the doctors office in a couple days to be sure that my WBC count is decreasing or the next step is IV antibiotics..
SO it was kind of an icky day...But I am taking it in stride and keeping my head held high..It will all be over soon and in the end it will be totally worth it!!
I will check back in tomorrow, and hopefully I will be feeling better from the antibiotics and decreased fever..

Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 07:07 AM

Welcome home Sisters glad all of you are home recovering. hang in there it will get better. had my hyst. on May 29th vag. hyst took utures tubes and ovaries . Thoughts and Prayers are with you. Hugs (:
Unread 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM

Deeber, I had the dermabond for my laparoscopy cuts. It's amazing how that holds the area together, although, I know that wouldn't compare to the area that you're talking about. I think it was a little shiny at first but that went away. I'm already pretty much healed in 2 areas. The bigger area is still red and not healed but definitely sticking together.
Unread 06-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Thanks Jasminy. I know it shouldn't be any different than when I had the staples removed the day I left the hospital after my first c-section - it's odd the sense of security you get from a few steri-strips. This time, it just looks so unnatural, like something you'd see on a Garbage Pail Kid (basically a demented Cabbage Patch Doll for those sisters over 40 - just like to keep everyone in the loop). The Dr. said it would absorb into the skin, so I assume that's what will happen when the shine goes away.
Unread 06-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Deeber - I also have the dermabond. It's a little odd to think I'm held together with human superglue! Mine's not so shiny, but does seem to get caught on clothing, so I've been keeping them covered with bandaids. I have also found that wearing the super low-rise jeans seem to hit in just the right area that the bloated belly isn't in the way. I was getting sick of my limited wardrobe of elastic waist-bands! For those of you with teens, raid their closets if the sizes are close.

Today, I'm not doind quite as well. I'm achier than I was. I think part of it is that I have been driving (my doctor told me to do whatever I felt able to do except sex and lifting as long as I wasn't DUI) about 40 minutes one way to drop off my kids at camp. That time in the car is getting to me. If you're going to drive, I'd recommend shorter trips.
Unread 06-05-2007, 11:30 PM

I also have the dermabond..I agree it is so strange to think that I am held together by superglue!! LOL I thought the same thing about the staples that he used inside me that he said will stay there forever..I thought "wow I have office supplies living in my belly" LOL....
So my pain is alot better today, but I am still running a temperature so I kinda feel fluish and just sorta icky all over, but more of a sick feeling. I am trying to stay positive and so I am holding onto the fact that my surgical feeling/pain has definitly improved tremendously and I am getting around great!!
I am feeling positive that my antibiotics will work for me and I won't have to head back into the hospital for IV antibiotics.
Prayers and Hugs to all my Sisters..Take care and keep resting and pampering yourself!!

Echo
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM

well here I am on the other side....55 hrs poste op, sitting at my dining room table and catching up with all the news.
To say all went well is an understatement... text book for a LAVH. home within the 24 hrs (only kept waiting for med's & DR letter)
I am sore and tummy's like a football, I do keep napping but other than that I'm quite shocked I feel this well. Even the V bleeding isn't what I expected more like a spotting... and I never thought passing gas would be so welcome
Every best wish to all other I will be thinking of you all in your recovery times
Lesley xx
perhaps I should add they took my ovaries & cervix too (there are probably initials for this but I have cotton wool brain atm)
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Hello My Post Op Friends!!

I just came from pre-op and posted to chlee and all the other princesses to be..........I feel a little lost......I know I'm on the other side.......but I feel so much compassion for them as I know everything they are thinking and feeling....

Today is my first day that I feel like myself again..........still tired ....but NO PAIN!! Doing more....but still weak....My only complication was I weaned myself off of meds the 3rd day and ended up back in the hospital due to shortness of breath.......turned out the bruising and blood went to my diaphram and caused pressure which caused the shortness of breath. All is good now. SO STAY ON MEDS TILL YOUR READY TO COME OFF!!!! I didn't have any pain so I thought it was ok...........NOT!!!!!!!!

Glad its over
Oceanmist

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register