Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

Unread 06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

Hey Everyone well seven days post and seven days until the catheter comes out. Everything is going great. Not sleeping very well because of the whole catheter thing, so a bit tired. Mood wise I fell pretty good. My 3 year old son is driving me crazy because I can not tend to his every demand in the matter of seconds. Well speak of the DS I have to go see whats wrong with him now.. Glad to here you are all doing well. I believe this is the smartest choice I have ever made in my life..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Hi! Ladies,
Thanks all for your replies. This has been a learning experience to me. Had TAH (utherus and cervix removed) - due to fibroids, heavy bleeding with clots, and anemia, but kept the ovaries (doctor said they look healthy). The hardest part was the prep - the day before the surgery. A couple of months before had provera and Lupron shots treatment to keep hemoglobin level normal. A week before the operation, doctor made appts. to meet an anesthesiologist, at least one other doctor who did explain/repeat the procedure, did more blood test to check the hemoglobin level, had a chest x-ray, EKG test.

The day before the surgery, My female doctor gave specifics of just eating a light breakfast by 8 AM then have clear liquids until midnight (at 6PM took orally the Bowel Preparation: Fleets Phosphosoda 1.5 oz mixed with 4 oz of clear liquid, 8:30PM Freets enema, and 9PM orally Fleets phosphosoda 1.5 oz. 4oz liquid again) The next morning, just drank some water. Nothing after 9:30AM on the day of the operation. Got admitted at 11AM on 5-30. The operation was around 12:45PM. The operation went well, no transfusion needed, due to concern with hemoglobin level - border line anemic. Couldn't remember anything except for feeling very sleepy in the operating room. Woke up in the recovery room at around 4:00PM and wheeled to the private room at around 4:30PM. Doctor took some pictures of the uterus (don't know how, but could share it if it is possible).

Had catheter the first day, removed the next day. Had IV liquids removed the 2 day (IV connection kept until the end of hospital stay - Sat. 6-2; had soft meals the next morning; had regular urine evacuation after catheter off and had regular daily BM after the 3rd day (Fri. evening); passed gas 2nd day ok. During the hospital stay, I drank hot water, tea, cranberry juice and ate jello as much as I could to help in the digestion. Walked after every meal and whenever I could. Have pain medicine regularly (the nurse recommended it before it gets out of hand) first day with the pump 14 times (once/15 min. intervals) after that just vicodin every 4 hrs./Ibuprofen every 6hrs. Using vicodin at night (it helps me sleep) the Ibuprofen I use in the day time and to help reduce swelling when needed.

To keep from developing pneumonia, the patients had to breathe on this tube called "inspidometer"(sp); and to not develop blood cloths - besides walking, patients had this straps for the legs that gave regularly compressions or massages to the legs when lying on the bed. Made many friends at the hospital, too. Asked questions. At home, I tried to eat high in fiber and low in red meat diets. The doctor gave me stool softeners just in case, but haven't taken any yet. Feel fine except for the pain once in a while due to bloated feeling and maybe the end stitches that might be pulling some muscles.

One good tip about going up and down the stairs learned from a hystersister at the hospital - do it backwards or side ways. It really keep the pain down. Thanks for all your imput and hope you have a speedy and less eventful recovery.

My prayers and thoughts are with all of you.
Unread 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Had LSH on 6/4 surgery was delayed due to emergency. We got started aroung 11:15am I was in recovery by 1:15pm and back home in my own bed by 3:30pm. Feeling good, tired and a little sore, no ain med's. Walking and moving fine. Pain in right shoulder is begining to lessen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2007, 04:48 PM

So I have been on my anitbiotics now for 24 hours and I think I finally kicked my fever!! Woo-Hoo!! SO that is a good sign I go to the doctors tomorrow to check on my WBC count and they said as long as it is decreasing then they will keep me on the meds I am on with no worries and I should keep feeling better. So I am hopeful! Today has all around been a better day I feel better all the way around. Moving around alot better and not feeling so sluggish and tired. Wee-Haw better days are ahead!!
Unread 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Today was actually the first day that I wasn't feeling weak and sluggish. I ventured out to pay a bill, return some library books, go to the post office. It wasn't so bad, but I did have some spotting today-- very pale red. Anyone else?
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM

Kellycd - I'm having the spotting too. LIke yours, pale red. I watch it for signs that I may be doing too much. If it increases, that means there's extra fresh blood somewhere - slow down. I'm off the percocet, the itching was driving me crazy, so I figured Tylenol PM would also help with the pain/sleep issues. There's no longer what I'd call real pain - just a general achiness in the groin area.

Echobrandy - Glad to see you're progressing. Keep those WBS up girl. We're sending positive thoughts your way.
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Doing Well

Had my TAH on May 29th, home on the 31st. Still pretty sore but doing well. I was up and walking the afternoon after surgery. Was ready to go home the next morning but they had me stay another day. It was ok. The Swelly Belly band is a god send. My OB/GYN was quite impressed with it too and good news ladies,,,my insurance is reimbursing me for it. If the surgeon will write a script for it, mine was willing to cover it. Best of luck to all recent hyst patients. This site is so encouraging.
Unread 06-07-2007, 05:41 PM

Okay ladies I got some good news and bad news today.The good news is that we have the infection on the RUN...but not quite at the speed it should be running...UGH!! So on Monday I have to get a CT scan to check on the ever apparent swelly belly that apparently appears like an "acute abdomen" to the doctor. So I go back on Monday to follow-up..NO worries though positive thoughts all the way!!!!
KellyCD & Jvititoe:
On another note though some of you are talking about having some spotting, I had absolutely none (WEE-HAW) until yesterday, and my doctor said that around days 9-10 the sutures in the vaginal cuff began to dissipate and cause some minor bleeding.
Unread 06-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the spotting. I haven't had any either, but I'll keep an eye on it. My right side has been hurting the past few days. No where near my abdomen - more right along the bottom of my rib cage. I'm thinking that I'm just holding my body to protect my stomach and causing a strain on that side. Anyone else?
Unread 06-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Yep, having the under the rib pain only on the left side. It's been a little over a week and feel like there is a lot of bruising through out the abdomen and pelvis area.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register