Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

Unread 06-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

It's been a week and a day since my surgery and physically I'm really doing great. I finally got my regular pants on today (thank goodness because I only had three things to wear). My tummy is still a little swollen, but not enough to make my pants tight. The main place I'm sore now is the inside of my thighs for some reason. I've been taking Metamucel and eating dried apricots like candy (I hate prunes) just to keep things going. It seems to be working. I never know when I really have to urinate except in the middle of the night. I don't have that "Oh I have to go" urge anymore (unless it's the middle of the night). I hate the fact that I didn't know beforehand how long it would take to recover from this surgery (and it's my fault for not doing enough research). I thought I would be fine after two weeks because I read it on other websites. I just can't wrap my mind around how I could have three c-sections and recover so quickly from them and it take so long to recover from this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2007, 09:59 PM

Had TAH/BSO on May 30th, came home one week ago today.
Not doing too bad but not as 'back to normal' as I had expected. Guess I had unrealistic expectations of coming home, feeling a bit sore and tired but otherwise ready to take on the world. Still have some pain, mostly on right half of incision - stings everytime I cough, sneeze, stretch or try to lay down. Hopefully it will ease up one day soon. DH is being a gem - treats me like I am a delicate flower

Had my first real teary meltdown this afternoon. All because DH was having problems taking care of my flower beds - too many weeds and not much patience. Tears made him feel bad which was not my intention. He is trying his best to take care of all the little things that I love, like my struggling perennial beds. I know all of this has been hard on him - he is not used to there ever being much that goes wrong with me. The whole surgery thing terrified him although he has had several surgeries over the years. He had read horror stories on the web about women nearly dying during surgery or having horrible complications. I told him he needs to visit the men's page here at HysterSisters

Thanks to all the sisters out there for being such great listeners! There is nothing like the support of women who have walked this same path.

Best wishes to all for a speedy recovery

Zinnialu
Unread 06-09-2007, 10:40 PM

I am having a great day today. A little sore on the left incision and tire out easily but otherwise I am doing great. I ventured out today for some total princess pampering and got a manicure and pedicure and that helps me to feel a little better!! LOL
I am still taking the 2 antibiotics and that seems to be kicking the infection out pretty well. I am sooooooo hoping that I will get released to go back to work after my post-op on Monday. I am wayyyy bored I would rather be sore and busy then sore and bored out of my mind!!
Take care ladies...I think I am finally on the uphill swing of things!! WEE-HAW!!! I am ready to do the dance of the healed!!!

I am wishing you all a speedy recovery!!

Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM

I had my TAH on the 30th, ovaries and cervix too. Not sure how many of the women here had their surgery for PCOS, but that's my story. Long story, but I've tried just about every treatment and this was the last option. They found 2 tumors (neither was cancerous), and the right ovary was very difficult to remove due to its size.

I was up and walking the day after surgery, took several laps around my floor, and could hardly sit still. The day of surgery I did feel awful, but thankfully that passed quickly. I only had the catheter for that first night, and didn't need the IV after that either. Funny story, I actually farted when the nurse was removing the catheter, and I was SO embarassed!! She thought it was just great! What a weird world...

I stayed in the hospital 3 nights, probably one night longer than I needed to, but at least when I went home I was confident that I was well on my way to recovery. I didn't require much pain medication in the hospital, apart from that first day. It seems that on-Q pump under my incision did wonders.

I've been home one week now, and I'm only taking the Vicadin at night, mostly so I get to sleep faster. I normally sleep on my stomach, so it's been difficult for me to get comfortable.

My main complaint at this point is the surface skin pain on my stomach. Any time something touches my skin it's painful. Has anyone else experienced this? I've been rubbing hydrocortizone cream on it, and that does help a bit. It's definitely NOT a pain coming from inside, it doesn't hurt at all when I'm not wearing anything.

This site has been helpful; it's great to know I'm not alone in this.
Unread 06-09-2007, 10:53 PM

I had a TLH on May 30th out of the hospital and home by the evening of the 31st. Was supposed to keep both ovaries, but due to a rather large and unseen fibroid, the right fallopian tube and ovary had to go. I live alone which is a little tough because I probably don't baby myself nearly as much as I should. Help shows up on Friday's and I'm blessed to have it. I have been surprised at how much better I feel after the surgery and am making sure to walk a bit every day. Truly thinking about incorporating benefiber into my daily diet, those first couple bm's brought me to tears. Looking foward to seeing what week two brings!
Unread 06-10-2007, 05:58 AM

Hi Everyone,

I had my TAH/BSO June 4, 2007 at 11:30 am..woke up pretty nauseated in post-op & of course in alot of pain, but the nursing staff pretty much too care of that.

I got out 2 days later-pretty sore of course but glad to get out of the hospital. The nursing staff was incredible-best stay I have ever had. Glad to be off morphine pump and catheter. I wanted to get my bladder going on my own..and glad I did.

Prelim reports said everything looked good. Very odd since the CA-125 was in 100's when they took blood. I am very anemic; however so I am taking iron pills. FINALLY, just had a BM (day 6) after taking some MOM. The opiates they give on top of not doing much was just causing my bowels to say "NO WAY"-I'm taking just the 800 Motrin when I need it; I think I am recuperating pretty well.

I should be in surgical menopause; I have had NO symptoms of anything. My gyn said my age (49) might have sonething to do with that..other than feeling alittle warm I am pretty tame:-)

Just thought I would pop in on here and say hello. It's certainly not the easiest surgery-but, it certainly was not the worst I have ever had.

Wishing you all a peaceful day.
Unread 06-10-2007, 03:26 PM
3rd day home and recovering well

Hello Ladies ,
I have been home three days now and each day is better.
I had L-Ovary L-tube ,cervixs and also uterus taken. The large mass was not cancer THANK YOU LORD!!!! I still have alot of swelling in lower back and of course stomach. But for the most part walkin as much as i can and starting to go a lil insane from being bored. But i will check in later my tummy is itching so bad!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 06-10-2007, 05:47 PM

HI ladies yesterday was a great day and so I went out and pampered myself a bit getting a manicure and pedicure when I got home I wasn't really any more sore just very tired. So far today I am just really tired. I am so excited that I figured out a way to sleep on my side without it hurting too much, I am not a back sleeper and that was starting to really bother my sleeping patterns,as if the hyster insomnia is not enough LOL..
I am a little scared that my doctor originally told me before the infection that he might release me to go back to work at my appt on Monday. I am on my feet in a busy family practice office for 9 hours a day, and if getting my nails done took it out of me I am not sure how well that will work...hmmmm....
After I got home last night I did have a bit of a strange event that worried me a little, I went to the bathroom and had a large (**TMI**) amount of mucusy discharge with blood streaks in it, which I believe is a sign that I overdid it during the day, which again has me concerned for going back to work only 2 weeks out.
Take care sisters,
Echo
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:40 AM

Well, I had my first follow-up to check the incisions. Those are healing nicely. My dr. did clear me for a month vacation that involves driving from FL to IL then NC and back to FL. The only hitch is that I will be gone when he'd want to do the 6 week follow up to check for vaginal healing. As a result, I won't be able to have intercourse until my follow-up which is Aug 7th. That's wouldn't be so bad, except that my husband left last week for a business trip, and we won't see each other until July 7th. We'll have 9 days together before he leaves to go overseas for a few weeks, will return then back overseas for 2 months. Our intimacy has always been a great part of our relationship. Although I talk to him every day and email frequently, I really miss the feel of him. Knowing that that part of the relationship may not be there until he returns (late Sept - early Oct) is devastating. I've felt like crying ever since the Dr. told me. I missed DH before, but somehow it seems that he's even farther away than before.

Also, the Dr. made no mention of HRT or asked me about how my body was adjusting to life without hormones. So far, this have been tolerable (mild insomnia, a little moody) but I'm managing. But the Dr. left before I even had a chance to ask (could be he was late for his next appt considering he was 1/2 late for mine at 8AM). Has anyone else talked to their Dr. about HRT, or is it normal to delay until the last follow-up or what? This Dr. isn't my usual GYN, but a partner to my Dr. who no longer performs surgery. I don't know what to expect from this guy, so any insight you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for your support.
Unread 06-11-2007, 09:06 AM

jvititoe... i had a complete hyst on the 29th of May. Dr. wanted to put me on hormone replacement. I disagreed. I'm 46 and had already started the menopause journey before my surgery. I take a great supplement daily from GNC for menopause. The only thing that I have really noticed is sweats at night, but they are no big deal since I have experienced this before. All is going well. Talk to you Dr. and get all your facts before going on HRT. Kimmy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register