Anyone using Premarin Cream? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone using Premarin Cream? Anyone using Premarin Cream?

Unread 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Anyone using Premarin Cream?

My Dr. gave me a perscription for 2 months to help with vaginal healing and lubrication. At 6 weeks I had not healed and still had stitches. I think he snipped some because I have been seeing them for the last week. Anyway, he gave me a perscription for Premarin Cream to help healing and I am still not sure if I want to use it. I am very cautious about estrogen, because I have always had more than my share. I still have my ovaries and I tested as high as someone in their young 20s before my surgery. I am 52, but my mother did not enter menopause until she was 60. I worry about estrogen related side effects. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? I don't want to mess my hormones up because I am very even and good emotionally right now. I also worry about clots and cancer - lots in my family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Hi!

I haven't used Premarin vaginal estrogen but I do have experience with two other kinds--Vagifem and compounded estriol cream. Both were effective for treating the vaginal dryness they were prescribed to treat. I wasn't prescribed it for healing tissues but I have read that Premarin vaginal cream is very effective for that purpose. Little, if any, of it will act systemically. It generally is going to remain just in the vaginal tissues.

How long does your doctor want you to use this cream? Will you consider using it until your vaginal tissues are healed? After you're healed you could ask your doctor about a non-hormone product to use for lubrication or there are vaginal estrogens to try which aren't as strong as the Premarin cream if you need to continue using vaginal estrogen. There's more information in this link to an article called Vaginal Dryness.

Hopefully someone who has experience using this cream will be along soon to reply.

s
Unread 05-31-2007, 05:57 AM

Hi...

I had a lot of problems healing after surgery and was prescribed a vaginal oestrogen cream, which really helped. My understanding is that vaginal oestrogen is too weak and does not stay in the system long enough to cause any damage to people who have had hysterectomies.

I tend to agree with April Dawn. Try it for two months to heal, then maybe try a non oestrogen cream for dryness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM

Thanks to you both for your helpful replies. I just don't want to have problems with clots and such --I tend to get side-effects from medications so I am usually reluctant at first.

I did purchase some over-the-counter creams, and I am not sure about the compounded creams because I have heard that they are not regulated and that they can vary in amounts based on who mixes them. Also, I do not know where I would go that my insurance would cover to get a Dr. who will compound something for me.

Thanks again, I am thinking about it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register