Pre-op preparation suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op preparation suggestions Pre-op preparation suggestions

Unread 06-23-2001, 10:56 AM
Pre-op preparation suggestions

I am 34 and was diagnosed by my gyn with adenomyosis. I have been having excruciatingly painful periods for the past 3 months and have developed cramping and daily pain between periods.
I am scheduled for a lavh on July 11. I would like to hear some suggestions on how to prepare my household, family and myself. I would also like to hear any suggestions for a list of items that I will be needing post-op. I know that it probably sounds weird, but I'm looking forward to the relief from the daily pain and the debilitating cramps during my periods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2001, 12:32 PM
Pre-op preparation suggestions

Hi Kimmiejay!

First, let me say welcome to hystersisters! You are in the right place. One thing you will find is that looking forward to the relief is NORMAL. In fact it's what got most of us through the horribly emotional pre-op days when we were scared to death!!!!

One of the things I did to prepare was go through all the pull-down menus on the home page here for pre-op. There are some lists and other things on there that were incredibly helpful. Also, use the "search" option (top of screen under ad) to search for things you're specifically interested in: questions to ask at pre-op, prepare or preparation, etc. Keep the searches general so you get more stuff. Two searches I highly recommend: "pillow police" and posts by "Music Lady Linda". Those two searches turned up some incredibly helpful information about recovery time that led me to schedule 6 weeks off instead of 3 and determine to do LESS than I thought I would after surgery. Remember, you may not have much of an incision but your internal stitches will all be the same so you need to be prepared for recovery just like a TAH - just no external incision to cause that discomfort.

As far as preparing your household: Make a list of things only you can do and things you would like to do before surgery, and then start at the top and do what you can. Realize that everything won't get done and you'll have to settle after surgery for the best others can do. Freeze some of the meals you like best. Move things to waist/chest level because you can't bend over for a while! Stock up on good books to read and movies to watch.

As far as preparing your family: Explain how you are having MAJOR surgery and tell them you will have up to 100 stitches internally. Discuss how you can work as a team to help you recover as quickly and uneventfully as possible. Even the littlest ones can help in some ways. One hint some of the ladies here suggest is wearing your PJs even when you feel good because as soon as you're "dressed" some folks think you are "working" and doing mom stuff again.

A couple suggestions personally: First, don't be surprised if you feel a lot better than you expect. Except for a few days, I've had less pain and less fatigue than I expected. However I did NOT give in to the temptation to do more ... just kept on resting. I assumed I was doing well BECAUSE I was resting and didn't want to find out if that wasn't true. Second, practice pre-op for getting in/out of chairs in ways that don't strain the tummy muscles. After surgery they are numb and you can strain them without realizing it.

Post-op needs: GAS-X or something similar. Expect some tough days with gas. You'll need it. Avoid gassy foods, walk and take Gas-X after meals, and then lay on your side for a few minutes so gas doesn't go to tummy. Beyond that you won't need much other than things to help your household run smoothly in your absence. I bought gauze, lotion, etc. ... didn't use any of it.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help you in any more specific ways.

Rosa
Unread 06-23-2001, 01:34 PM
welcome

Dear Kimmiejay,
So glad you found this site! With Rosa's excellent post and the pull down menus she suggested, you will be well prepared! Hyster Sisters helped me so much I actually enjoyed the preparation time and my recovery was much easier than I expected. If only we could figure out a way to shorten the waiting time and lengthen the recovery time (when it is pleasant)!

Keep reading, posting and talking everything over with your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register