Ovarian Low Malignant Potential Tumor - Borderline | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Low Malignant Potential Tumor - Borderline Ovarian Low Malignant Potential Tumor - Borderline

Unread 05-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Ovarian Low Malignant Potential Tumor - Borderline

I am confused. My oncologist report diagnosed me with Stage 1C - I was assuming that that was an ovarian cancer stage - but now I am being told that it is a low malignant tumor stage...which is correct? Did I have ovarian cancer or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Did he give you a copy of your pathology report or say anything about needing further treatment? I had the same thing and told I didn't need any further treatment, just more frequent doctor visits post-op. I went every three months for the first two years and then every six months (current schedule). My surgery was seven years ago.
Unread 05-29-2007, 06:37 PM

My visits are the same. My CA125 results were 504 presurgry so I had to get more blood work. He diagnosed me with Stage 1C - I was under the impression it was 1C ovarian cancer - not 1C Borderline Low Malignant Tumor. One doctor says that it is cancer the other says it is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2007, 07:01 PM

That is the question that I hear all the time. I have survived this LMP status for seven years. What does the doctor tell you? Mine said I had a possible recurrence rate of 6-7%. I have heard different things from different people. What you need to do is pick one doctor and listen to him or her. Do not let others tell you it is something else. If you are comfortable with the doctor you have, stick with him or her. I am part of another website support group and have had this one person insist it is cancer. I chose to believe my doctor when he said to me, "You don't need chemo because you don't have cancer!" He's the one with the medical license, not her. When I first went to see my Gyn-Onc, he asked if I go online. I said, "Yes." His response was, "Don't believe everything you read." It was good advice. My tumors (both ovaries) were "mucinous mullerian."
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:10 AM

My understanding is that it is not always easy to draw the line between cancer and not-cancer.
Cancerous cells are abnormal and multiply rapidly. The difficult question becmes how abnormal and how rapidly multiplying before you call it cancer? So some cells fall into a sort of grey area where they are not exactly normal but not obviously cancer.
Perhaps the thing to remember is that no matter what you call it, it doesnt change the kind of cells you had. So whether it is LMP or "precancer" or "early cancer" you need to feel comfortable that your doctor knows its characteristics and how to proceed with surveillance. If you are not confident, by all means get another opinion.
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:46 PM

Are both doctors Gynecologic Oncologists? If not, can you get an appointment with one.
Unread 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM

I've never been on this board before - I usually look over on "road less traveled" - because I've had pain ever since my surgery in 2004.

Anyway I noticed this "low malignant tumor" and it struck a chord because they said my tumor was some odd kind and that it was "probably" not malignent, and the doctor used the term pre-cancerous. And that the primary tumor was "smooth muscle with limited experience" I also had a lot of fluid in my abdomen and other symptoms that made them think ovarian cancer - but the blood test didn't show high levels.

They never did any follow up and I no longer see that doctor. Does this sound similar to others experience ? I had always assumed it either was or wasn't cancer ?
Unread 05-30-2007, 07:39 PM
babies are mentioned

Hi there

I was diagnosed with borderline ovarian cancer---I have the more rare type which is the endometriod ( There is serious, mucinous, and clear cells). Serious and mucinous are the most common type. What you will find is that there is alot of argument with this type.

what is known about it there is a very slight risk that it can go into ovarian cancer or even benign it can be destructive. My brother-in-law had a form of this same tumor called pseudomyxoma peritoni---it was pretty destructive but was more destructive at the time he was diagnosed his doctor gave peritoneal chemotherapy (which most doctors don't do any more)---which made him developed leukemia. He is 11 years out and NED with either diagnosis.

I was diagnosed a year ago after having twins with IVF ICIS---I believe due to the hyperstimulation of my ovaries pushed me into this diagnosis. Gyn/Onc want me to have hysterectomy and remove my remaining ovary---I told them I will wait and be monitor till my twins are older. I feel I am more at risk to hurt my pelvic floor then get ovarian cancer at this point.

With all the research I did on borderline----I look at it as small potential going into cancer. What I recommend do alot of research---find out more of what you have follow up with gyn/onc if you don't like what he said go to someone else.

Best wishes
Heidi
Unread 05-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Sanchez,

It would be helpful if you had a copy of your post surgical pathology report. Based on what you have written, smooth muscle tumors are usually called sarcomas. These tumors can arise in your smooth muscles or what are called involuntary muscles. Involuntary muscles are those that work all of the time without you commanding them. For example, your heart, stomach, lungs and your uterus are all involuntary muscles.

From your brief description, it sounds as though you had some type of uterine sarcoma. These tumors, based on what is seen under the microscope, can be of low malignant potential.

You also mention that it was an "odd" tumor. These types of tumors are VERY rare and I can see where it may have been described to you as odd.

Even though it has been a few years, you may want to have your tumor reviewed by a pathology department in a cancer center. (perhaps you already have) Since these tumors are so rare, most doctors and hospitals do send them to major centers for a second opinion. It is so important for them to be diagnosed correctly because follow-up is very different for this type of finding vs. the more common forms of uterine tumors.

Please bear in mind that the information I am providing to you is solely based on what little information was included in your post. Also, I am not a medical professional, just a fellow hyster sister. It sounds as though you might be questioning your follow-up or at the very least have some lingering questions regarding the outcome of your surgery. Your post suggests that you have changed docs and hopefully you can ask any and all questions of your new doctor! I am certain that you are in the very capable hands of a great gyn/onc who is familiar with your path report from your surgery.

Beachball
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:23 PM

Thank you very much for the advice. I have unfortunately been in the hands of a very fast-food in and out the door type HMO, whose main goal seems to to imply that my on-going disabling pain is no big deal. I have grown increasingly concerned though as the constant abdominal and pelvic pain just keeps increasing and I now have constant pain in my ribs as well and trouble breathing sometimes. I will dig up my report and try to get seen by someone competent.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register