Three Days Left!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three Days Left!! Three Days Left!!

Unread 05-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Three Days Left!!

Hello Ladies. I've got three days left to prepare myself for this surgery Saturday. I think I have everything purchased that I might need per all your wonderful suggestions. I bought the body pillow, I have a 'grabber', I've set up a guest bedroom near the bathroom with a lower bed than my own. I have a small fridge in the bedroom loaded with juices, jello cups, fruit cups, popsicles and water bottles. I shopped for soft foods, noodlecups, mac and cheese and things that will be easy for my family to fix for me. I bought granny panties...which are pretty much what I wear anyway...and front hook bras. I got a robe, soft soled ballet slippers for the hospital and a package of piddle pads...if the trot to the bathroom proves too much, too fast.
I've paid all the bills. I wrote down a list of phone numbers for my family to make some calls. I gave my son the combo to the safe and keys to my PO Box. I'm trying to cover every detail...it's keeping my mind off the surgery. My little laptop here has been overheating and I worry about it spontaneously combusting so I treated myself to a new laptop yesterday following the PAT appointment. This way I'll be able to continue to drive you all crazy with my questions post-op.

The nurse in PAT asked if I had any questions about a hysterectomy and I said my 'sistas' took care of all that for me....she inquired who my 'sistas' were and I told her about this wonderful site. She was absolutely thrilled to learn of this forum and wrote down the url and is posting it near her desk for future 'sistas'.

I had an EKG yesterday even though I had the heart stress test Friday as my two doctors weren't coordinated...but the results were normal.

It hasn't even been two weeks yet since I was diagnosed and this has been a whirlwind for me...everything has moved so rapidly in my mind....I wish my body would catch up!!! I've been instructed to take that xanax before I go to bed Friday night and also upon awakening before I leave for the surgery....I have my wristband in my purse...I guess all that is left to do now is WAIT!!

Did anyone sleep the night before?

Well, I can't say that I'm not terrified still. I'm hoping one day I might be able to laugh at myself for all my prior panic. But I know you ladies has been there and done that too so you've all understood what this is like for me.

My heart just aches for all the young women on this forum that are facing this. I'm an old broad and have had my 'innards' around a long time...I don't think I'll be missing them...but I soooo sympathize with you young gals that are facing this also.

Unlike others, I fit the profile to a T. I have every risk factor, every symptom...even the average age at diagonosis. I hope I have a very unextrordinary surgery and recovery. My docs say the high blood pressure, diabetes and asthma don't concern them. At some point this week I will let God take over and rest.

Thank you each for all your support and information...I don't know what I would have done without all of you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Three Days Left!!

(((((newssnoop)))))

Sounds like you're well prepared. I hope everything goes well with your surgery Saturday. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Be sure to check in on that new laptop computer and let us know how you're doing when you're able.

Big s,

Lisa
Unread 05-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Three Days Left!!

You have been in a whirlwind, your tale makes me dizzy. Soon the whole affair will be done and over with and you'll be home resting on your sofa. Best of luck newssnoop and hope only good results for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Three Days Left!!

Oh my, does that sound familiar. I, too had a whirlwind from diagnosis to surgery -- also on a Saturday, at a Jewish hospital with a Lebanese surgeon no less. That was over 3 1/2 years ago. The waiting was the hardest part, 10 days for me.

It sounds like you have things under control -- perhaps more than you will need. But better to be prepared than to need something done after the surgery.

Yes, I did sleep the night before, but the night was short. We had a 2 hour drive to the hospital and I had to be there by 6:30 am. We have a lot of animals here on the mini-farm and they all had to be fed before we left. So, 3 am was the wakeup call.

You will do fine. It's really amazing how one copes after the surgery. The emphasis then is on getting better. Most people do have an uneventful recovery and in a couple of days are home. I was cautioned not to do too much in those first days and my gyn/onc ordered me to not get out of pajamas for the first 2 weeks. That was to remind me and everyone around me that I was not supposed to do anything and just recover. It was hard because the weather was grand and eventually I got dressed up to take a little walk around the farm.

I was reading in Newsweek this week an article about pain. One thing that hit home was the recommendation to give pain killers so the brain doesn't learn that pain is the "normal" thing. Take those painkillers on schedule and you will heal faster and better. I followed that advise and had no problems after the surgery. Don't try to be a hero and bear the pain. It only slows down the recovery. But also don't overdo the exercise, lifting, housework, etc as that can also cause problems. Take it easy and let the body heal.

Good luck with your surgery and I'm sure you will do just fine.

Linda
Unread 05-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Three Days Left!!

Hey newssnoop!

Sounds like you're well prepared! We'll all be with you in spirit on Saturday and beyond.

I actually did sleep the night before, but my surgery wasn't until 2:00 p.m. the next day, so I had the whole morning to agonize (and nearly dehydrate!). You're going to do great!!!!

Best of luck and hugs!
monami
Unread 05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Three Days Left!!

i am quite impressed by your preparations! sounds like you have been for the last few weeks. so now, when you return home from the it is your turn to be taken care of

fulky

ps - there may be some minor "problems in area so make sure you take the stool softens they give ya

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register