Is there such a thing as a vaginal supracervical hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is there such a thing as a vaginal supracervical hyst? Is there such a thing as a vaginal supracervical hyst?

Unread 05-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Is there such a thing as a vaginal supracervical hyst?

Hello O Wise Women of Hysterland,

After experiencing a lot of emotions (anger, frustration, grief, sadness) over the idea of losing my cervix (and any future vaginal orgasms) in a TVH set for 7/31/07, I spoke with my dr and questioned the medical necessity of removing my cervix. WOW!! I received a surprising answer!! She told me the only reason why she scheduled me for TVH was b/c she did not know how to do a hyst w/o removing the cervix as well! Ladies---This is a perfect reason why we ask questions!!! Wholey-Moley!!! I was speechless!

My gyn said that she would refer me to a urogyn who could do [B]"a surgery"[/b] where I could keep my cervix. Only problem is that he is retiring this year! So now I don't know if he will take me as a patient before he retires or pass me on to the new person.

Long story short...now I need to find an alternative surgery the is less invasive than a TAH but that allows me to keep my cervix. I've done some research and found that LSH is the way to go, but I understand that only very skilled surgeons are trained to perform laproscopic surgeries. Is there such a thing as a vaginal supracervical hyst? Meaning they remove the uterus through an incision in the anterior (top) part of the vagina?

Any information from you WONDERFUL WOMEN would be incredibily helpful!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Hi Steffie,

I had a LSH and kept my cervix and ovaries. I am really glad I was a candidate for the less invasive hyst. I had two small hip incisions and a belly button incision and the surgery was done laparoscopically.

I cannot answer your question about leaving the cervix with a vaginal. From what I understand, the cervix is the ~neck~ of the uterus and is between the uterus and the vaginal area. So - the cervix is kinda like a middle-man.

I have been on Hyster Sisters 3 yrs now and I am seeing more and more laparoscopic Hyster Sisters. Yes - a laparoscopic hyst does take more training for the Dr. - that is true.

You might check out the ~Suggest a Doctor ~ link on Hyster Sisters. There may be some recommended Drs in your state and area.

Mary
Unread 05-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historylady
I cannot answer your question about leaving the cervix with a vaginal. From what I understand, the cervix is the ~neck~ of the uterus and is between the uterus and the vaginal area. So - the cervix is kinda like a middle-man.
Hi Mary!
Oh, believe me I totally understand that the cervix is the middle man ...What I'm trying to figure out is if the uterus can be removed from the body through a small incision in the vaginal canal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historylady
You might check out the ~Suggest a Doctor ~ link on Hyster Sisters. There may be some recommended Drs in your state and area.
The only problem using Suggest a Doctor is that I belong to a major HMO here in Colorado. I'm bound to use their drs if I want the surgery paid for. One of the few times I wish I didn't have an HMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Hi Steffie,

Both my sisters needed to find Drs who took their insurance plans. One sister had a TVH in Montana and my other sister just had a LSH last Wed. in So CA. Both have been very pleased with their surgery results.

Best wishes again~

Mary
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungphak
only very skilled surgeons are trained to perform laproscopic surgeries.
I would only want a "very skilled surgeon" to work on me anyway

It's my understanding that vaginal surgery will remove the cervix, just because the cervix is the first one out.

Are you a candidate to keep your cervix? I was a victim of prolapse, so keeping cervix was not a good option for me.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 05-31-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twysmilng
Are you a candidate to keep your cervix? I was a victim of prolapse, so keeping cervix was not a good options for me.
Hiya Twysmilng!!

I sure hope I am a candidate to keep my cervix...had discussion w/ dr. yesterday and point blank asked her if there was any medical reason why I could not keep my cervix. She told me "NO!". She simply said that she does not have the training to perform anything but TVH, so LSHs are out of her skill set. She said that she will refer me to a urogyn, but I did not ask if he was qualified to perform LSH, but she mentioned something about TAHs.

I really don't want a TAH b/c the recovery is so much longer. Plus, I don't know if I am a candidate for TAH as I carry a lot of my weight in my tummy. Dr would have to cut through a lot of tummy fat. (only 50 lbs overweight, but carry most of that in my tummy area)
Unread 05-31-2007, 10:18 AM

i have been through what you have..my first gyn wanted to remove my cervix and once i started questioning him about it, he said he didnt know how to do it any other way without an abdominal cut. he also removes ovaries at the same time because "over 45, everything comes out". i left that practice quickly. i found a wonderful surgeon 2 hours from my home in a big teaching hospital. he said i was a perfect candidate for an lsh. he totally agreed with not removing my cervix or ovaries for two reasons...they were healthy and he didnt see any need for me to be put into surgical menopause. sometimes the 2 hour drives seems inconvenient but then i remember what he has done for me and i'm SO grateful. the only way my life has changed is that i dont get a period. explore your other options and find a dr that can do an lsh. my life was completely back to normal in all ways in 2 weeks after my surgery.
Unread 05-31-2007, 10:32 AM

i dont think there is such a thing as a vaginal supracervical hyst. i believe with all vaginal hysterectomies, the cervix has to be removed.
Unread 05-31-2007, 12:16 PM

Hey Dressed!!

I am so glad that you have validated my feeling re: my cervix. I think you are right, that my choices (if I want to keep my cervix) is to have an TAH or an LSH (preferred). My only BIG issue is that I belong to a major HMO and really don't have the luxury of shopping around. I, unfortunately, cannot afford to cover the cost of surgery as an out of pocket expense. My only hope is to talk to my gyn again and find out what my other surgical options are and who can perform which surgeries. Geez! What a pain! But better than the alternative.

I did find some research about a new procedure called a CISH. It is my understanding that this procedure is so new here in the U.S. that not many drs would be properly trained. From what I understand a CISH "cores" through the center of the cervix into the uterus, which is also cored. Through the new opening in the cervix, the rest of the uterus is broken up and removed through this opening. They say that the coring does not affect sexual sensation, but I have to admit, it sounds like it would. Do you or any hystersister know anything more about CISH?

Re: my orginial post about vaginal supracervical hyst, I just wondered why a surgeon couldn't remove the uterine pieces through an incision at the top (not at the back where my cervix is) of my vaginal canal?? My surgeon would have to make a cut there anyway to insert the TVT (sling). Maybe they just don't do it that way...
Unread 05-31-2007, 12:26 PM

we belong to an hmo also. as long as the surgeon you pick is in your hmo, wouldnt the surgery be covered? i dont know if all hmo's are the same. we have to go to a participating physician.
i havent heard of the cish but it sounds very interesting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register