Stay away from Ibuprofin?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stay away from Ibuprofin?? Stay away from Ibuprofin??

Unread 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Stay away from Ibuprofin??

My DR has told me not take any ibuprofin 6 weeks out from my surgery date. Has anyone else been told this? If so, is there any medication I can take? My Lortabs, suddenly, make me sick and are not really helping. But can I take tylenol for headaches? I have not been able to reach the DR and am afraid to take anything else.
Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2007, 01:36 PM

That was the only thing i took(advil)..The Lortabs made me sick as well..call Dr to see if tylenol is ok and or if he can give you a scipt for something else..Just keep tryin to get in touch..
Feel better..
Unread 05-31-2007, 01:45 PM

It's a blood thinner, I could take Tylenol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2007, 02:05 PM

Well, please check with your dr., but mine said no Ibuprofin for 5 days prior to surgery and that Tylenol and Darvocet were okay. And I did take them because I was in pain up until surgery.

Take care.
Unread 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM

I was also told no Ibuprofen for 5 days prior to surgery, but was told that Tylenol is ok. Ibuprofen can thin your blood out before surgery that is probably why they don't want you to take it. I hope you feel better.

Melissa
Unread 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM

As mentioned, ibuprophen can thin your blood, as can aspirin, so those meds are usually not allowed when surgery is involved. Tylenol is often okay but some doctors still restrict its usage within a few days of surgery.

Talk to your doctor about your specific pain issues and find out exactly what you can take!

Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM

Oh, my! I hadn't heard this. I'm on prescription strength Aleve. It is also an nsaid. My surgery is Wed. Should I stop taking them? Aunt Flo will do me in for sure!
Unread 05-31-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarm
Oh, my! I hadn't heard this. I'm on prescription strength Aleve. It is also an nsaid. My surgery is Wed. Should I stop taking them? Aunt Flo will do me in for sure!
Call your doctor ASAP and ask what you should do.
Unread 05-31-2007, 05:34 PM

I found this out Last halloween when I had my kidney stones blasted, I have had a fw surguries before then but never knew that tehy prefer you to not take Motrin, well any blood thinners at least 5 days before because something about it can cause you to bleed a lot? And its like with a broken limb , no blood thinners!! But yet the Motrin and such is a great pain reliver huh??
Unread 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM

I wasn't told by my doc to not take anything before surgery. Weird, eh, how all docs are different?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register