Questions for diabetic sisters about HRT and PCOS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for diabetic sisters about HRT and PCOS Questions for diabetic sisters about HRT and PCOS

Unread 06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Questions for diabetic sisters about HRT and PCOS

I am having both a hysterectomy and an oopherectomy on June 5th and I have no children due to PCOS. My doctor wants me to have HRT because I am only 29 and we are concerned about the risks of heart disease because PCOS increases the risk of heart disease post menopause. My concern is, I want to know if anyone else has PCOS and if any bad side effects to insulin resistance was noted (am also a diabetic). I am dealing ok with not being able to have my own children, however, I am scared to death and reality is hitting. If it weren't for the pain, I wouldn't be having the surgery. I could use all the help I could get.

Thx

LKM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Hi Lisa and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! I had the same surgery you are scheduled to have, but for entirely different reasons, so I can't share anything with you from my own experience. However, I hope members who have experienced the same medical issues as you will be along soon to offer their support.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 06-02-2007, 07:51 PM

HI Lkm,

Having your ovaries removed does not affect PCOS. What problems you are having now, they will continue. The one exception I have read about from other members here is that sometimes removing the ovaries can decrease the testosterone levels so that they are in the normal range. I found that was not the case for me.

I take my metformin, spironolactone and my HRT, I walk everyday. I try to eat right. My health is actually improving.

Have you tried the other treatments for PCOS?

s,
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2007, 02:49 PM

I have tried the other "fix-its". I am currently on metformin and my dr is hopeful that with lowered testosterone by removing my ovaries (which are about the size of grapefruits), my excess hair growth and acne will improve. My diabetes is in an acceptable range of 75-130 with few spikes(the largest being 156 after eating 12 s'mores).

I had lost weight down to 185 but between the stress of being a full-time student and the stress of having a total jerk as a boyfriend kick me out, then moving in with my parents-I am now at 235 lbs.

My other doctor is co-ordinating with my gyn and they are going to raise my estrogen levels with the HRT (mine are EXTREMELY low currently) and they both want to get me started on a new lifestyle of eating and exercise in order to lose about 95-105 lbs in the next 2 years.

I just didn't know how this surgery will affect my PCOS and I am SOOOO sorry that your surgery didn't help your PCOS. Thanx for answering me!

Lisa
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:18 AM

Lisa,

You may want to check out www.soulcysters.com which is a site dedicated to PCOS and the latest studies. There is still much to be learned about it since no one knows for sure what causes it. Spironolactone is a common successful treatment for hyperandrogenism. You may want to try it before agreeing to have your ovaries removed.

You want to be sure you are making the very best choice for you before agreeing to have your ovaries removed.

s and Best wishes,
Kay
Unread 06-12-2007, 01:03 PM

Dear Kay,

it turns out that getting my ovaries removed was the best thing for all involved. They took a picture of what they removed at my insistance and my ovaries were both each bigger than my uterus. They were only going to remove my ovaries and tubes, but had to remove the uterus due to all the scar tissue attaching my ovaries to my uterus it would have been impossible to keep it without damaging it.

That and I had had cervical cancer cells removed a year ago Feb. so they wanted to take the cervix as a precautionary measure so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I have already lost 11lbs in the week since the surgery-actually right after getting home my sister had me step on a scale and I had lost the weight. Even though the doctor used a vertical incision and it is killing me, it still hurts less than the pain I had been feeling prior to the surgery, so I am happy and am only on Estrogen due to my three doctors (gyn, fam prac, and PCOS) agreeing that that would be the best course of action due to my lab results.

Thank you for all the support and help! It has really helped me when I was scared most.
Unread 06-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Hi Lisa,

I'm so happy for you. It sounds like you are on the road to improving the quality of your life. I hope your recovery continues smoothly.

s,
Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register