To Drink or Not to Drink? That is the Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Drink or Not to Drink? That is the Question To Drink or Not to Drink? That is the Question

Unread 06-03-2007, 09:34 AM
To Drink or Not to Drink? That is the Question

I am five weeks post op. Last weekend we went to a neighborhood barbeque. I drank one of those pre-mixed vodka coolers. Within twenty minutes I was in the emergency room with an oxygen mask stuck to my face. I had tightness in my chest and both of my shoulders suddenly felt the same way they do when I have spent the day with bra straps that are too tight. I was also short of breath. They ran tests and determined that my heart was fine. My blood pressure was a little high...but that was probably just from the stress of the situation. After about half an hour I felt fine and they sent me home. I felt like an idiot. Then last night it was very hot outside and DH made me a vodka and 7-up with a little cranberry juice. Within minutes I was having the same symptoms as last week. I layed down and did some deep breathing and was fine in about twenty minutes. My doctor never said anything about alcohol consumption. Has anyone else had problems like this? Is it too soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2007, 09:50 AM

are you still on your pain meds?
Unread 06-03-2007, 09:53 AM

Nope....I have been pretty lucky and haven't really needed anything for pain since about week two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Sounds like an allergic reaction. I would avoid alcohol at the moment if it has this effect on you and make an appt to see the docs. Best wishes.
Unread 06-03-2007, 10:14 AM

i have not attempted it yet, i too have not been on pain meds since around week 2.. i HATE the way they make me feel so have been just toughing it out.. i have however been suddenly craving a cocktail... i rarely drink so this is kind of odd for me.. after reading your post i think i will wait maybe the drinks are triggering a panic attack?
Unread 06-03-2007, 01:34 PM

i am 1+ year post-op from my tah/bso and let me tell you, i cannot handle hard liquor anymore.
i have tried a few times over the past year-- just one drink triggers a vomiting attack (usually a couple hours later). Doesn't seem to matter what kind of liquor it is. Never had this problem before.
red wine (small amount) is the only alcoholic beverage i can consume.
no more margaritas, or bloody marys for me. i am not a heavy drinker by any means, just a social thing... but it is definitely a weird post-op issue. wonder if anyone else has this liquor = vomiting "problem"??? is this common?
Unread 06-03-2007, 01:46 PM

You may want to stay away from the vodka! Try a wine cooler. Something premixed and less heavy on your stomach. I am coming up on my 3rd week and had three beers the other night. It didn't make me sick but WOW did I get buzzed... I switched to water. Didn't want to fall, OH man I would have been in pain if I had. My belly is still sooooooooo sore.
Unread 06-03-2007, 02:58 PM

I couldn't have coffee for 1 month. I had a de-caf 2 days ago and I was fine. Finally. I don't drink booze (maybe 1 X a year).
Unread 06-03-2007, 02:59 PM

Coffee was making me want to throw up.
Unread 06-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks everybody....if this was the middle of winter I wouldn't even care....but it is starting to feel like summer...and on a hot day....well you know. I have had no problems with coffee....strange how everyone is so different. Thanks again...I like this forum...it's friendly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register