Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 - Page 52 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

Unread 07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

EndocT
My dr said to use an over the counter relief for constipation. It's called Senecot and it is high
fiber. I haven't had any problems since the 1st week when I took a laxative and WOW! I WILL NEVER do that again! I'd rather wait for nature! LOL!

Your Sister in healing!
lgh2007 (Lisa H)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM

happyhyster82 -

endocat - I took 3 colace dayat bedtime for the first 1 1/2 weeks, the dropped to 2 a day for a few days and then down to 1 a day. I stopped taking them about 4 days ago and so far so good. Maybe your body is relying on them, I would take all 3 at bedtime for a few days ten decrease it by one pill over the next few days, but that is me. It is not a bad idea to call the doc. I stopped taking them because I was having very soft frequent BMs and I was getting tired of spending all day on the toilet! HAHA! Hoping you get relief and answers soon.
Unread 07-02-2007, 05:09 PM

so i have a quetion along the same lines. My dr was going to put my bladder in a sling--(I said, No were are not we are tying it up) then I brought up getting rid of the reason for the bladder being out of place (the fibroids pushing down on it) so we did the hysterectomy--then all of a sudeen we were not doing a repair of the3 bladder we were doing a reapir of the herniated vaginal wall. well fine--i didnot go to meical school--BUT after I strained to Have a BM on say the 25th--I have been p-ing about 10 to 13 times day--isn't that excessive????--or am I still healing?? i think I was going that often before the surgery.--Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Happy Birthday Happyhyster! I hope you did absolutely nothing during the party.

Went to the doctor today - still having a lot of pain on the left side of my incision every time I move, it's warm to the touch and hard underneath and Saturday morning when I heaved swelly belly up to look at it, I could have sworn it was open in a couple of places. Super Uck! I debated all weekend and decided this morning, the hell with it, call the doctor (Why is it so hard to make that call???). They had me come in and fortunately, the open incision was an illusion. Either that or the 10 lbs of Bacitracin I smeared on it this weekend worked like a charm, The rest was still there, though. Also, I'm running a low grade fever despite the 800 mg of Motrin. And my blood pressure's high, so it's back on Darvocet (high blood pressure indicates pain). Sigh. Anyway, I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on Thursday - the doc declined to make any guesses, but did say she didn't think it would require more surgery. Woo hoo! I went into work this morning and felt okay but she said to take it easy. I was SO hoping not to have to run those reports from home.
Unread 07-02-2007, 09:41 PM

freebutrfly

Can always count on you for a good chuckle & smile
TMI - starting keegles for release (hopefully) on 10th after DR visit :bigwink:
Unread 07-02-2007, 11:55 PM

Hi ladies, I've been gone since 6/29 and just caught up w/ all your posts. It's nearly 1:00am right now and I just cannot sleep a wink...so I came here. Anyone else having insomnia? What's up w/ this? Also, okay, my swellybelly is NOT going down! AAARRRGGGHH! The top part of my belly is almost normal, but around the insicion it is still very swollen on top of it and it hurts. When I don't take Advil or anything, I'm in real pain here. Tomorrow is 4 wks post op (TAH w/ last ovary removed & endo scraped off all over the place!), so I don't know if this is normal. It doesn't look normal and I'm not overweight, so it really stands out. I still can't wear my jeans and I'm walking everyday. It's really frustrating... My energy is good, too good really as I can't get to sleep, maybe due to Patchy (my new patch on my hip -- HRT). I just feel like a really blobby person right now and hate looking in the mirror. "IT" stands out -- the thing under my skin. My scar is really quite red now too, I guess it's healing, eh? I also get twitchy pains a lot that stop me in my tracks, but at least I'm making tracks! I'm all over this town I live in; movies, shopping, walking trails, etc., and I'm feeling pretty good if I take Advil, but when it wears off, oh my goodness. I have to take it like clockwork. Can someone tell me if this is normal or should I call my doctor, which I REALLY don't want to. I do not want him touching me until I'm not so sore! Thanks y'all!
Cris
Unread 07-03-2007, 01:30 AM

Cris,
If your scar is red and hot then it may indicate an infection - I do think you need to see your doctor to be sure. I had to have second op due to infection and you don´t want that I can assure you!! My hyster (TAH) was 6 June but then had second surgery on 19 june........followed by intensive antibiotics IV and only been out of hosp since 25 june.........

I am amazed at how many people here are going back to work after 3 or 4 weeks!! In Europe the MINIMUM time off work is 6 weeks and for many people it is 8 or 12 weeks............so if you are pushing yourselves to get back to work and then struggling with it, don´t!! Is this the norm in the US or are you jsut super fit (or workaholic!!) ladies?

Sapphi
Unread 07-03-2007, 05:05 AM

Cris -
Agree with Sapphi. If incision is very red & hot then possible infection. As for swelly belly & insomnia that seems to be fairly common. There was a whole tread regarding insomnia - some interesting suggestions to deal with it. (Do a search with word & should show thread) BTW, it's 3am here & I am on site posting due it. I'm in 3rd week but have been doing better with sleep after I saw my acupuncturist & started taking Floradix (Iron with herbs, get at health food store). Have also been doing really well until last Friday. Self employed & #1 client has projects so I ended up going to meeting then working at my office 1/2 of last week. Paid dearly for it as I had to take pain meds Friday - Sunday. Took Motrin to sleep last night but.... Anyway unfortunately this seems to be "normal." Keep hearing & reading that during fourth week we will notice a big difference.

Sapphi -
I hope you are feeling better since having to go back to the hospital.
No I would not say we here in US are "superfit." IMHO, more along the "workaholic" lines. Unfortunately unlike Europe the norm here seems that you always have to be on the go or doing something. Relaxing or "taking time" is sometimes seen as being lazy, and for we feel guilty taking time off. In addition health care is great (assuming you have insurance) but again insurance is a for profit business that has to answer to shareholders so sometimes you are, shall we say "nudged" back to work possibly a little earlier or like myself self-employed so if work is available you take it. Some times it's merely a financial issue.
Unread 07-03-2007, 07:34 AM

endocat is right about the work thing: seems none of us will allow ourselves time to relax or even to recover. Our society seems to believe you should fill every moment of every day with activity. God forbid we should take one minute to feel peace and stillness -- or get well after major surgery!

But I admit it now, I too am guilty of this. I'm self-employed and went back to work last Thursday because I just didn't feel I could put off my clients anymore. I've worked every day since then (Sat & Sun t00!) and have felt HORRIBLE!! But yet I kept going. I'm made several sales (and therefore plenty of that money I'm so addicted to), but I have PAID in my body. I have not stopped hurting. Even started taking narcotic pain medicine again at night (haven't done that since week 1!) Wish I would not have gone back - it was a mistake - but can't back out now.........sob...

Today is my week 4 and I'm still having problems and think I should call my doctor. Before I do, is anyone else still having?

1) Significant pain, especially while sitting upright?

2) Bleeding - pink like a light period. (Despite cauterization, I've never stopped bleeding since surgery)

3) That weird odor? So disgusting and odd.

4) More trouble with BMs. (I didn't have trouble after surgery but have started now. I know some other posters have mentioned this. Is it still a problem?)

I'm supposed to go on vacation for a week to our beachhouse on Friday. Really looking forward to getting a BREAK since this recovery and now work has been so stressful to me. However, it's an 11-hour car ride there. And I currenly can't sit in the car for 11 minutes without pain! I might have to skip the much-needed vacation and get left behind while all my family goes to the beach. What am I going to do?????

Sorry to be so negative. I feel like I've waited patiently for all this to improve, but 4 weeks out I still don't feel any better than a normal period! Makes me question why I put myself through this if it won't solve anything.....
Unread 07-03-2007, 08:05 AM

"Today is my week 4 and I'm still having problems and think I should call my doctor. Before I do, is anyone else still having?

1) Significant pain, especially while sitting upright?

2) Bleeding - pink like a light period. (Despite cauterization, I've never stopped bleeding since surgery)

3) That weird odor? So disgusting and odd.

4) More trouble with BMs. (I didn't have trouble after surgery but have started now. I know some other posters have mentioned this. Is it still a problem?)"

What kind of work do you do? It is very tough when you are self-employed. My DH was self-employed when he had carpal tunnel surgery, and since he was our breadwinner, he went back before they ok'ed him. (He's a carpenter.) Mind you he was able to use the other arm so it wasn't THAT big a deal, plus we're talking outpatient corrective surgery vs. major inpatient, but still that's how it had to be. It does make it seem like I am a wimp when I just don't do things around here though.

To answer your questions:

1. Mostly any pain I have is while standing. I find that walking is fine but standing about is not. End of last week (right at the 3-week mark) I was in enough pain to take the motrin again (hadn't in quite a while) and a large bit of the pain was back pain, I thought maybe I had a kidney infection from where the pain was. In a couple of days it was gone so I am assuming it was healing pain???

Now I just have mild cramping like beginning of a period pain. I mentioned it and it seems to be normal. Cute, huh? WTH is cramping in there if they took out that dumb uterus?

2. I had a TVH, so I've not stopped bleeding yet. UGH...it's fluctuating between bright red to pinkish to brown on rare occasion, but it's always there. Some days more than others (activity increases it.)

3. Have not had the weird odor that people talk about...but maybe it's due to the TVH and not TAH? Different sutures?

4. Yeah, the whole constipation thing puzzles me. I am the Poster Child for IBS with diarrhea (Didn't you just want to know that about me???) So let me tell you how odd this is. I haven't had to resort to any meds (because this body knows how to poo!) but it's been more of a strain which again, is very very weird for me. I thought maybe I was "cured" of the IBS but I ate stupidly on Friday night and NO...it's still there.

I would definitely call your doctor, though. It can't hurt and you've pain them some good money...or your insurance has.

Kay

p.s. wow...I've edited this 3 times~duh! But wanted to add that I hope you get to go on the vacation. I really think you do need to talk to the doc about it hurting so much in the car...that does seem extreme.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register