Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 - Page 54 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

Unread 07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

Hey ladies,
Yes I know the feeling of all of you!! I went back to work on Monday and could only work a half a day. I was exhausted when I got home. So I called the doctor to write me a note to only do half days this week. Also, my incision has been hurting. I have cleaned it and put something over it so it wont rub against my clothes. I just took a 600m motrin for pain. I have learned that I can't do what I want to do........just do what I need to do. We all need to give ourselves time to heal. Most women I have talked to have taken the full six weeks from work. I am thinking maybe I should have done that. Oh well......take care ladies and I hope we all will be feeling a lot better soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2007, 08:09 PM

Update:

Went to the doc. Had to get cauterized AGAIN (which he says is pretty rare). Like an idiot, it slipped my mind to take pain pills in advance. Yikes! That was a mistake! It was painful!

He still seems to think I'm on the "extreme outer edge" of normal. He said most people feel MUCH better by now and so should I. He's not exactly worried yet, but thinking it's time for things to start changing. He wants me to go back to my Urologist (who has still not seen me since surgery!!!) And then he mentioned we might have to go back in a "fix that". At the time, I was too upset to ask what needed to be fixed.

Otherwise, he asked about my bowels and bladder. He gave me a prescription to control the odor, but thinks it's normal. And he loaded me up on narcotics to take on my trip! he he.

Hopefully I'll feel a million times better after a week on the beach. If not, I'm afraid I won't like what's on the other side of vacation....

freebtrfly - I too am SO SICK OF MYSELF and my complaining. I'm usually a bundle of energy and silliness. In fact, I didn't even want to admit I'm still feeling bad because I'm so sick of it! But people around got concerned about my slow movements and weren't buying the, "I feel fine" routine.

poohads
Unread 07-03-2007, 08:16 PM

Poohads,

I know what you mean...usually I'm full of life and running at warp speed...i can barely think of speed walking and not clear why. Its nice to know I'm still normal

I'm sorry you had to be cauterized AGAIN...that totally stinks...and I'm definately afraid of that...were you just spotting or heavier? I'm down to spotting pink...often but a little less. Which isn't saying much.

I hope you have a chance to take care of yourself and enjoy the beach! Try and have some fun...nice way to lounge...legally! We'll be back to our old selves in no time at all. Try and have some fun...you deserve it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2007, 10:13 PM

Poohads,
You are not alone as these other ladies have replied. I was beginning to feel like I flunked recovery. I am 4 weeks today and I feel like I am going in reverse now.
Still spotting, sometimes reddish pink other times brown.(had silver nitrate at week 2 and 3) with weird odor that doctor said would go away when bleeding stops.

Bloated, tender abdomen. All positions are uncomfortable after 30 minutes.

Still have intestinal pain and gas, even with Gas-X.
Has anyone noticed that when they lie down at night the gas really starts rumbling?

At least I am sleeping ok most nights and my Climara patch is keeping the hot flashes in check.

Just getting discouraged because I was feeling pretty good last week and then gradually felt worse since. I don't think I am over doing it but then my doctor didn't give me ANY guidelines and so I have been doing what feels ok, which isn't a lot. How do we know if this is just normal healing?
I go back to work on the 17th so if I am not feeling any better I will go see surgeon 12th or 13th.
I guess I should redo my user name HIMOT
"Healing in my own time"
Debbie
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:08 AM
re: feelings of setbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskie1
You are not alone as these other ladies have replied. I was beginning to feel like I flunked recovery. I am 4 weeks today and I feel like I am going in reverse now.
Still spotting, sometimes reddish pink other times brown.

Still have intestinal pain and gas, even with Gas-X.
Has anyone noticed that when they lie down at night the gas really starts rumbling?

Just getting discouraged . . . . . . . How do we know if this is just normal healing?
I guess I should redo my user name HIMOT
"Healing in my own time"
Debbie

I hear ya! I am approaching 4 weeks this Friday, and mentally want to think I am "back to normal." However, my body is quick to let me know that it is in charge and if I need a reminder - boom! I'll get a backache, abdominal cramp, feel drained, etc.

I really had not been bleeding since surgery, but this week I started noticing a bit more 'staining' on the pantyliner, and some bleeding after BMs (pulled a stitch??).

As for gas - sometimes I have a major musical procession going on and it is weird as it rumbles around in there, from side to side and back & forth -- but rarely comes out! (Thank goodness!)

I decided to work all day today (family daycare provider), and even with laying down this afternoon while my kids slept, my backache got worse. I have a helper (while recovering) so I am not picking anyone up, she helps with meals, and other things so I am not even attempting to do all of what I usually do. I needed to go to the grocery store tonight, so had DH go with me to load and unload groceries. Even with their help - I decided I needed a pain pill.

I, too, get discouraged. But, I am guessing we are all fairly normal since we are experiencing similar things. There are a few exceptions I've noticed withother posters - but a lot of us are in the 'boat.'

We just need to take care of ourselves and remind ourselves daily - "I am worth putting me first for now." "I am worth it. I am worth it. I am worth it. I . . . ."

Happy 4th to all US sisters.

Debbie

TVH, A&P repair, kept ovaries 6-08-07
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Poohads,

I'm sorry to hear you are still having trouble...you had a TVH, is that right? I had a TAH and am totally still hurting. It REALLY makes me mad when the docs or nurses tell us how we "ought" to be feeling, esp. when the dr is male. I've been having some trouble w/ my healing and the main reason I don't want to call the dr.'s office (as many have advised me to) is because of this situation exactly. I feel like he'll think I'm a wimp, or that his nurse will be a smart-alleck, or that they will act like I have a mental problem. In 10/06 though I went to a female gyn. because my right ovary had completely dropped inside of me! It nearly came out! Anyway, she did a laproscopic procedure, took it out, said the other one was fine and that was that. ONE MONTH later I was in pain, and little did I know at the time that adhesions grow back very quickly. Anyway, I called her and got that kind of runaround, like there was something "wrong" w/ me. I went in to see her at my 1 mo. post-op and told her I was really hurting. She did a ultrasound and said everything looked find and she "didn't know" why I was still hurting. WELL, 8 mo. later, after living w/ bad pain all this time, I went back to her again. I got the exact same answers. So I sought a 2nd opinion and found a doc here in Tyler exp. w/ endometriosis, adhesions, etc. He told me the ONLY way to really see endometriosis is by opening a woman up. He said you CANNOT see it w/ an ultrasound or the small spots w/ a laproscope. Therefore, I had this TAH and he found endo all over the place. Then, where that other ovary had dropped and been taken out, he found a piece of endo the size of a quarter and said that's why I was hurting in that one area. He also said the left ovary was covered in adhesions. So I am really mad at the 1st doctor for not believing me. By the time I saw this doc, my insides were killing me so he put me on the lowest dose of Hydrocodone. I took this for about 10 days before surgery, and now he tells me the reason I am hurting so much is because I took that medicine before surgery and my body has grown tolerant so now the pain meds don't work as well. But HE'S the one who prescribed the stuff and I didn't know it wouldn't work as well afterwards, I'm not a nurse. I would not have taken it beforehand knowing this. He's one of those really good surgeons who is very hard to talk to. He always seems very rushed, so much so that he put me on the wrong floor of the hosp. where no one had exp. w/ ob-gyn patients. Yet, he did find out what was wrong so it's a catch-22. Anyway, I'm very sore still and quite puffy around the incision. I'm just trying to tough it out like a big girl when I feel like wailing at times! I really hate being uncomfortable w/ my doctor and wish I could tell him what's going on & feel like I have the time to ask him the questions I need to ask. This is the only place I can come to and find out if my recovery is normal or not. I wish you lots of luck an don't let anyone tell you what you "should" feel, we're all individuals with different bodies. Eeewww that makes me so mad he told you what he did! I sympathize w/ ya sister! Cris
Unread 07-04-2007, 08:12 AM
4 week check in

Today marks 4 weeks for me. I've officially missed one period, and believe me, I don't miss it at all.

Someone mentioned those on the boat and the exceptions. I must be one of the exceptions. I feel fine. I seldom nap, though I do lay down and read or do a Soduko several times a day. I can get up and go for the day with only a few breaks, and I take a 2 mile walk each morning. I can drive myself to errands, and feel okay when I return. I have energy and feel that I could do about anything.

I don't do lifting or anything strenuous but walk. Part of the reason I may be an exception is that I am a teacher (and don't have to worry about work for a few months) with a husband who is a stay at home dad and two teens to do jobs I shouldn't.

I have nothing in there but a brand new vaginal cuff. I've had no bleeding or spotting since the hospital and no pain pills for weeks. PTL!

I'm sorry there are so many of you having such a difficult time. I do get sore sometimes. I do feel my incision sting on occasion. I can wear my regular pants, but I have this glop of skin hanging two inches over my incision. That glop is bigger and more tender in the evenings or after I walk or stand for long periods. I have been having power surges. They aren't too bad, but they are definitely there.

We are all still healing, and we all need to follow our doctor's orders and not overdo---whether we are in the boat or floating in the shallows.

I hope today is your turning point for all good things to happen in your recovery.
Unread 07-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your kinds words of encouragement!!!! It helps! It's so nice to know I'm not the only "wimp" (I've always considered myself to be especially tough in the past...sigh).

For those who are feeling better, you give me hope that brighter days are ahead. I'm so ready to miss my first [non-pregnant!!!!] period. Really thought it would be July 2007. Oh well... maybe August...? I just hope I don't have to have a 2nd surgery!!!! I'm not sure I could face any more weeks of recovery!

Eskie 1 - I agree with everything you said! And I too am especially discouraged - to the point I'm embarrassed to admit I don't feel good, even to my Dr. I pray this gets better soon.

christinem67 - Yes, I had a TVH. Makes one wonder why I'm still having as much difficulty as women who had the harder surgery. But my GYN is pretty supportive. He's starting to worry about why I'm not better. My Urologist, on the other hand, is the one I could harm. He hasn't seen me once since surgery. And my GYN seems to think my discomfort is related to my bladder surgery more than my hyst. My GYN has referred me back to the Uro 2x since surgery, but the Uro's office couldn't "fit me in" -- for a POST-OP FOLLOW UP!!!!!
I say, "Make time!" If you "can't", that's just bad medicine!!! But enough about him.

I'm packing now and filling my Vicodin prescription for the trip. I'm praying that I will recover on the beach through the magical healing powers of sand. Maybe getting away from work, and cleaning, and some of the kids (2 are going to camp that week, and 1 is staying with a friend's family so he can work - his idea) will help.

Happy Fourth to everyone!!!

poohads
Unread 07-04-2007, 01:38 PM
slow recovery club

ChristineM, that sounds like a horrible time. I HATE it when docs tell you to do something and then "blame" you for doing it. They said my incision has healed beautifully but there's a hard, hot lumpy area underneath and every single time I move or sit upright for more than a few minutes, I get a horrible burning pain that starts under the incision and shoots down into my groin. It takes at least half an hour to calm down after I stop moving. The pain makes my heart pound and brings tears to my eyes and right now I don't care anymore about being a wimp or if my pain threshold is just too low or something. I'm exhausted and I've had enough! She prescribed low dose hydrocodone and I'm taking it, so there. I'll worry about habit-forming later. And on Thursday, when I go for an ultrasound to see what the lump is about, if she says something even vaguely disapproving about my taking pain meds, I'm gonna slap her. And if I run out, I'm gonna ask for more, dammit. And if I catch myself apologizing when I do it, I'm gonna slap myself! Guess which kind of day I'm having today? Who needs fireworks? I'm about to blow my top! Even my cats are staying out of the way - I can't help it, my breath hisses involuntarily when the pain hits, and the poor things think I'm angry at them. I apologize but they just look at me like I'm crazy. I guess I am. Very frustrating.
Unread 07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
My body is Boss, my body is Boss, my . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kftsnana
(post in part
However, my body is quick to let me know that it is in charge and if I need a reminder - boom! I'll get a backache, abdominal cramp, feel drained, etc.

I really had not been bleeding since surgery, but this week I started noticing a bit more 'staining' on the pantyliner, and some bleeding after BMs (pulled a stitch??).

As for gas - sometimes I have a major musical procession going on and it is weird as it rumbles around in there, from side to side and back & forth -- but rarely comes out! (Thank goodness!)

I decided to work all day today (family daycare provider), and even with laying down this afternoon while my kids slept, my backache got worse. I have a helper (while recovering) so I am not picking anyone up, she helps with meals, and other things so I am not even attempting to do all of what I usually do. I needed to go to the grocery store tonight, so had DH go with me to load and unload groceries. Even with their help - I decided I needed a pain pill.

Happy 4th to all US sisters.

Debbie

TVH, A&P repair, kept ovaries 6-08-07

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ok, MY BODY IS BOSS! I hate to admit it.

I originally wrote the above post at 2:00AM this morning, and soon found out that my body had other ideas about how my day went. Today, I am tired, which I expected. My back still hurts - common almost-daily thing since surgery. The gas has stepped it up a few paces to BOTH rumbling and exiting (sorry). And the slight bleeding that I might have been having - decided to "kick it up" a couple notches too.

So, most of the day has been spent laying on the couch, with very brief activity in between. It is ok really as I know I still need to take it easy. It is just that while mentally I am ready to get back to normal, internally I am not.

Our older DD40, 2 DgD and DD's friend are coming over to cook out, etc. in a while. While we haven't seen them in a while & I am glad to see them, they won't stay more than a few hours. Our 11 year old DgD will stay and spend a few days but, unfortunately her younger sister 2.5 yrs old won't be - I am not up to it.
[Last week this DD seemed to realize that, but last night she was talking about both of them staying. I thought "what do you think has changed in four days?" Anyway, I left her a message that only DgD11 is staying and maybe later in the summer they can both come back to stay.]

Today's chant: take it easy, take it easy, take it easy!!

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register