Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 - Page 58 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

Unread 07-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

Sapphi: My take on Donneys problem is that the stretching is involuntary[u] and therin lies the problem---I have that too but to a lesser extent. I too think it is due to our just lying in bed in basically one position all night---I do wake up periodiaclly & make myself roll over, which is possibly why my 'stretches are not so severe---

what do you think donney--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Hi Sapphiresp Thank You for telling me this . I slept on a heat pad last night and took a musle relaxer it helped some to but I still felt like I needed to strech Ghee this is so unreal! I will look up the exercise program I appreciate your telling me I'm not alone feeling this way .I hope I have not already hurt myself but this has been a wild ride .I was thinking I was feeling so much better then the pains hit in my loer stomach round the incision that were just awful.Being round the 4th I was busier company was here I may of overdone it as well. Thank You I love this site it is helping me understand things Dr.'s don't even tell us! donney
Unread 07-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Streching after T/ A/H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSore
Sapphi: My take on Donneys problem is that the stretching is involuntary[u] and therin lies the problem---I have that too but to a lesser extent. I too think it is due to our just lying in bed in basically one position all night---I do wake up periodiaclly & make myself roll over, which is possibly why my 'stretches are not so severe---

what do you think donney--
Hi forever sore maybe my body is saying get out of the Lazy boy now and go to bed! I have dreaded the going back to bed ! I will tho if that is what it takes to stop my streching cause it really does hurt me lower belly inscion site and near bladder. So I will try the bed tonight.Thank you so much! donney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2007, 12:03 PM

....but I am listening to the gals who are saying weeks 4-6 are the most dangerous, because I am sure they are!
Honestly, I am struggling (ala Flylady) with the "loving myself" enough to let others do for me and to heal well.

Kay[/quote]

Hello Kay and All,
Hey Kay, I've been doing the Flylady program for years and OMG is it helping with my recovery process. Whenever I get/got the urge to do anything a little borderline, I would time myself for 15 minutes or set a SAFE limit on how much time I would devote to the task. We can all do some things for 15 minutes..... The site helps you make lists, get organized and get things DONE without killing yourself or biting off more than you can chew, so to speak.
I honestly believe that sitting or lying on your BUTT at this stage of the game can lead to weight gain, depression and laziness of sorts- and family & friends will help with what we need if we make a SPECIFIC list and ASK them.
My Dr said weeks 4-12 are the most important time in healing for several reasons; inner repairs are almost healed, outer stitches are about finished, hormone issues are present, emotions are most fragile because of all the time we've had on our hands, work & finances & sexual frustration or fear of the upcoming event/pain are present, etc etc.
Consider hiring a cleaning lady for a couple weeks to do the "heavy stuff" or call Kirby to borrow/try out a self propelled model, etc. Look for solutions........is the point... Keep a list of what you need help with, what you would like done, or needs fixing, carried from one room to the other, etc, to utulize the muscles of others. When someone asks what you need help with, you'll be able to remember exactly....... I kept catching myself saying I can't think of anything (right this second) then would kick myself after company or visitors left. That's when you feel stranded and helpless.....
JMHO that our families want to get past this eventually and have some attention on them for a change, while enjoying the summer & family time!! It's natural and a cry we should listen to closely. All things are possible!!
I really have trouble reading some of the posts and seeing how dependent and down right demanding some post hysters appear to be, not just on family and friends, but some still are on painkillers, prescription narcotics, etc. Working at a hospital, I have seen too much in the ER over the years. ALL medications have interactions and side effects- i.e. narcotics cause constipation, stool softeners cause gas, most cause irratibility, inability to drive, etc. You don't know how you REALLY feel until you move forward.
This is just my humble opinion, for what its worth.
Unread 07-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Good afternoon sisters!

I just want all of you wonderful women to know that I am here to support you however I can. This is a SUPPORT website and I am so thankful to have you all here and if there is anything I can to do to help you gals, just let me know. And the way I look at it, if reading this site bothers some of you, well, no one is forcing you to do so.

ANYWAY.....I'm 4wks out and the two main problems I am having is SERIOUS fatigue when I normally would never be tired, insomnia in a BAD way, and pain on the inside of my belly. I'm sure some of my fatigue is due to not sleeping well, because each and every night I cannot get to sleep until about 3am. It's really bizarre since I'm an 11pm person. I've tried all the home remedies and nothing seems to work and I'm really frustrated. Once I get to sleep I'll get about 6-7 hrs, which is about normal for me anyway, but then all throughout the day I feel like I'm really exhausted and just need to sit down, lay down, something. Is this due to the operation you think or my ovaries being gone? (I'm on estrogen, fyi). It's almost debilitating fatigue as it completely interrupts my day. Luckily I own my own company & set my own hours (which are very few right now!), so I can rest when I need to, but like many of you, I feel the need to make excuses when I need a nap to my DH. He doesn't care, but I feel like a big wimp.

Then I've still got sharp pains on the right and left parts of my abdomen that are not caused by gas or constipation -- I'm sure of that! It's where the ovary was cut out and where my biggest patch of endo was removed, but gosh it's sore. I take ibuprofen all day and it doesn't help that much...I hope there is nothing really wrong. Who knows how fast scar tissue/adhesions can grow back or how long these types of things take to heal up? I'm walking about 2 miles everyday (1 in a.m., 1 at night), eating right, taking care of myself and not overdoing it. I can do most things I need to do around the house and have learned to stop when I need to. (A major milestone for me!) I'm cooking for the fam but my DH does the shopping now, thank God. So, I know I'm trying my best and hate to read that some people here think we are "demanding" and "dependent" -- I hope that post didn't hurt too many feelings out there -- don't let it. Take care of yourselves the best way YOU know how and remember you have friends here. Hugs to all! Cris
Unread 07-08-2007, 03:24 PM
fatigue post op

Cris,

Feeling really tired is completely normal, you are only just a month post op and you are working some of the time and cooking for your family....!!! Fatigue is to be expected for the first few MONTHS, even up to around 6 months. If you can´t sleep can you maybe try getting up and doing something like watch a DVD or similar, rather than laying there feeling frustrated. For the first two weeks after my second surgery I had to get up every 90 minutes during the night to go to the toilet and it was SO exhausting.........and painful, sometimes it took me 15 mins to get out of bed on my own when in hospital.....now i am finally able to go through the night but I only get 7 hours in one go and still need to rest for 2 hours during the day as well (I am nearly 3 weeks post second op which was just over 2 weeks after first TAH).

You´ve probably already tried them but a glass of wine, eating your meal earlier....resting earlier in the day and not too late.....I still have a glass of milk before I go to bed as it helps me sleep and that is something I never did before, also I no longer like tea or coffee, so am not drinking that..........very strange....and i am not taking any painkillers at all......

anyway this is meant to be supportive and not critical so hope its coming across as that.....I just think youa re expecting a lot of yourself when you a re doing more than a lot of other post hyster women!!

Take care, chill and relax....

Sapphi
Unread 07-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenIllinois
....but I am listening to the gals who are saying weeks 4-6 are the most dangerous, because I am sure they are!
Honestly, I am struggling (ala Flylady) with the "loving myself" enough to let others do for me and to heal well.

Kay
Hello Kay and All,
Hey Kay, I've been doing the Flylady program for years and OMG is it helping with my recovery process. Whenever I get/got the urge to do anything a little borderline, I would time myself for 15 minutes or set a SAFE limit on how much time I would devote to the task. We can all do some things for 15 minutes..... The site helps you make lists, get organized and get things DONE without killing yourself or biting off more than you can chew, so to speak.
I honestly believe that sitting or lying on your BUTT at this stage of the game can lead to weight gain, depression and laziness of sorts- and family & friends will help with what we need if we make a SPECIFIC list and ASK them.
My Dr said weeks 4-12 are the most important time in healing for several reasons; inner repairs are almost healed, outer stitches are about finished, hormone issues are present, emotions are most fragile because of all the time we've had on our hands, work & finances & sexual frustration or fear of the upcoming event/pain are present, etc etc.
Consider hiring a cleaning lady for a couple weeks to do the "heavy stuff" or call Kirby to borrow/try out a self propelled model, etc. Look for solutions........is the point... Keep a list of what you need help with, what you would like done, or needs fixing, carried from one room to the other, etc, to utulize the muscles of others. When someone asks what you need help with, you'll be able to remember exactly....... I kept catching myself saying I can't think of anything (right this second) then would kick myself after company or visitors left. That's when you feel stranded and helpless.....
JMHO that our families want to get past this eventually and have some attention on them for a change, while enjoying the summer & family time!! It's natural and a cry we should listen to closely. All things are possible!!
I really have trouble reading some of the posts and seeing how dependent and down right demanding some post hysters appear to be, not just on family and friends, but some still are on painkillers, prescription narcotics, etc. Working at a hospital, I have seen too much in the ER over the years. ALL medications have interactions and side effects- i.e. narcotics cause constipation, stool softeners cause gas, most cause irratibility, inability to drive, etc. You don't know how you REALLY feel until you move forward.
This is just my humble opinion, for what its worth.[/quote]

Karen: I have a friend who felt like you do. She had 2 abdominal surgeries and a c-section---and THOUGHT all was well. last year she needed a TAH. upon leaving my friends surgery, her doctor sought out her DH and chewed his <Please do not override the website censor> out royally. she told him she was never allowed to heal properly after the other abdoninal surgeries. He/she Knew this because of all the adheasions & such that was found when the dr went in to do ths surgry. the surgery was long, very difficult--and risky because of the things that healed wrong after her other surgeries.. the dr then said my friend was to do NO work of any kind for 6 to 8 weeks[u].--period. so you see it is just not anyones idea of the situation, or them having the opportunity to get "pampered". Even if a person is feeling well after this surgery, they are not ACTUALLY well enough to be back at work full tilt. we must all take care of ourselves now, so we will not have trouble later, and thus be able to care for our loved ones in the manner we/they would like. "just my worth"
Unread 07-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Christinem: I agree totally with your entire post. I hope you are feeling better and I hope you continue to improve.
I am glad to hear you are taking care of yourself.

One day we will look back on this and hopefully not remember all the rough spots. But be glad we did it. (& before I had the TAH, I spoke to many many ladies who had the surgey, previously. Not one said "I wish i hadn't of done it. "--- not one said, "oh make sure you need it first"--Every one of them said --"oh you will NEVER be sorry."That surgery was the best thing I ever did."

all thru this long recovery I am holding on to those comments. as should we all. One day we will be at that place ourselves.
Unread 07-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Hello ladies,
I am having the same problem, not sleeping all the way through the night and pain and soreness. I also get tired very quickly. Today I went to church and I am the directress of the youth choir and I was directing them and when I got home I was in pain. Still in pain now. I took my meds and going to bed. I keep forgetting that this surgery was major and that my insides need to heel also. I went to the doctor on Thursday and found out that I have an infection. He put me on the antibotics and half days at work. I get depressed because I can't do the things I use to do yet. Oh well, I will get there. Take care ladies
Unread 07-08-2007, 11:48 PM

Thanks Sapphi and Foreversore ( I hope you get to change that name soon!) Y'all are so sweet! I swear I'm not trying to do too much -- do y'all think cooking is too much, because HEY if it is, nothing like some Chinese take out, Subway, pizza, yum! I mean, I can stop if I HAVE to! hee hee Today I didn't walk at all because the raining in East Tx is intense. Even my dog doesn't want to go outside, so I finished up my 4th book then most stupidly took my stepson to see the new Transformers movie....it was 2:45 mins. long!!! Aaaarrrggghh! That kind of sitting really bothers me, but I took a few (much needed) breaks throughout the film. I was telling my DH all about this site & my new buds, and how I feel guiltly having to rest every few hours and his repsonse was, "Hey, I love it when you're resting because then you're not asking me to do anything!" Cute, huh? Plus he said when I'm resting my body is healing, but over the last week, I'll do stuff for about 1-2 hrs, then go watch TV or lie w/ the htg pad (my favorite healing tool, fyi). Last night I watched a movie called "Dejavu" w/ Denzel Wash. and it was really cool; I need to watch the 2nd half again as it is tricky, but I'd recommend it.

Tonight I took Melatonin & some herbal tea, but that was about 2 hrs ago, and since I can't get sleepy thought I'd come here. I've had major surgery before, a 2 level back fusion to be exact, but never exp. this level of fatigue. Even when I had an LAVH it wasn't this bad. It's really weird, and as I type this I can hear my DH slightly snoring and I think "Lucky!!!"

Before I go, if there is anyone who had endomtetriosis cut/burned off w/ a TAH, please tell me if you're having pain. I truly, truly am and would like for it to stop now. I did read as I searched this site, I think on the page for husbands, that when there is endo recovery is worse. Who knows, but I sure am having to practice patience, and I think it's so much harder w/ ourselves. Night ladies! Hope you all sleep well. Cris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register