Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

Unread 06-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 11,2007

Hi Everyone!! I am home now. I had my surgery Monday 6-11. I am going to nap now, but I promise I will be on here soon. xoxoxoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
endometriosis recurrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinem67
I do have a question though: my doc told me that I should not get endo again as everything is now "out", yet I've read online that this is not true and it can come back. I am 39 y/o, and am now on the Climara patch, .75 mg. My doc said that is was my remaining ovary that was the endometriosis culprit because of the hormones, but now that he's giving me hormones, what's the difference? I have a good doctor, but he has not bedside manner and always seems in a hurry. He is a good surgeon though however. I wish all of you who are recovering well and hope you are being lazy like me right now. Thank you to those who answer my question, I really appreciate it!
Since my surprise diagnosis during my hyst last week, I have been researching the same thing. Some doctors believe it is not conclusive either way. Most literature says that estrogen feeds endo (and fibroids). That seems to indicate that the only sure way to not have a recurrence is to not take estrogen. Some doctors say that it can only recur if there was any left and they "got it all." I wouldn't bet my life on a cocky doctor. My doctor says that it would be best not to go on it. If I do choose hormones, I must have progesterone also to counteract the estrogen. (Most docs still say that progesterone is only needed in women with a uterus; this is not true, especially if endo was involved.)

My doc gave me the lowest dose prempro today to take if I felt like I needed it. I have been reading https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&page=10&pp=10 and think that I will try it NO HRT. I will do calcium with D to prevent old bones and Omega 3 to prevent old skin. If I get brain fog or headaches that nothing else will relieve, only then do I plan to go HRT.

That is the plan, but other than headaches (which may be from a bladder/yeast infection) I'm not yet under attack.

Let me know what you decide. Maybe we could start a new thread for those of us newbies who are deciding to use HRT or not.
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Its a personal decision for everyone, but I am glad you started this question. I cannot have hormones because I have breast cancer, so that lets me out. My aunt had her hyst years ago and has been on Prempro sucessfully without problems.. So its just the individual body I guess.

I'd like to know more about vitamins and what I should be taking to prevent the skin and bone problems. Headaches are an unwelcomed enemy of mine, geesh, I hope I dont get any...

Blessings
Peachy
prophylactic TAH/BSO June 6th
breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM

Yes, I called the on-call doc last night, I was about to go nuts.. I had such incredible pain under my ribs and he explained thats the left over fluid they use to rinse you out AND the gas that gets trapped inside. That part was right, today its gone. Yes, I have NOT slept since two nights b4 the surgery. Last night I knocked myself out w/ativan and that was only a few hrs. I have been in so much pain. They didn't offer Fentynyl patch.. They gave me IV morphine, demerol and Dilaudid, all causing horrible reactions. I have been on nothing but Tylenol since coming home. The gas x was not helpful, I did drink some tea. I still have fevers, but not as high. I am taking one 500mg Tylenol instead of two and Amoxicillin 500 every 8 hrs. They dont really know the cause of the infection. My urine is clear, although I am noticing an odor. They say thats a vaginal stitch! Hmmmm. I just want the fever to break and for me to get well faster.. I've never had any patience.. Time to get some huh?

I thank you for your reply and I wish you blessings..
Peachy
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Fever

Hi. I developed a fever Monday, maybe sooner, but I was taking so much Tylenol, it may have been delayed. At any rate, there aren't any outward signs of trouble. The navel incision is a little red, and my urine has an odor of something different, but they said thats a vaginal stitch, not an infection. At any rate, they started Amox. last night, so far I have taken 4 500mg caps. I hope that locks up whatever it is... I dont want to have to go back to hospital, I did NOT have a nice experience there. Not only that, I can not have IV meds, have severe allergies to a lot of meds.

Anyone having fevers that are basically unexplained? What could be brewing inside that isn't showing itself?? No bleeding, nothing really..

Blessings to all.
Peachy
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Hi everybody! Yay, I'm home and recovering. I had my TAH on June 7th, my ovaries are intact and healthy but surgery lasted longer than 2 hrs. My bladder had to be cut away from the uterus as it was attached to it and placed it in the right place. Uterus and cervix are gone. I came home on Sunday, June 10th. I had a very good experience at the hospital, the nurses took such good care of me, I was so glad! I'm still in a lot of pain. I'm on percocet and motrin 800 mg. I'm going bonkers though as I'm only allowed to stay in one area, upstairs or downstairs. My appetite is still not quite back yet. Luckily I have no problems with BM (I eat 5 prunes everyday), gassy but manageable. Now I'm a little worried about my husband as he's been on my case lately (I'm very short-fused). My doctor took the staples out yesterday and I'll be going back to see him in 10 days. Overall, I'm glad it's over and thank you for everyone's support and prayers.
Unread 06-13-2007, 09:30 PM

I too was quite gassy in the hospital. My sister in law came for a visit the day after surgery. I asked her what I could do to get rid of the bloating and she suggested Prune Juice or gingerale. (She is a nurse at a different hospital) I drank 4 oz of prune juice that evening and all of my gas was relieved by the next morning. Plus I got diarrhea. But it got everything moving. I think the diarrhea was mostly because of the bowel prep before surgery. Awful stuff. I have never peed out of my butt that much before.

One side of the incision has healed quite nicely, but the other side is ozzing a bit. I am not too concerned yet, because there really isn't any redness but I am keeping an eye on it. There was a fair bit of bleeding right away from this area.
Anyone else have incisions that are seeming slow to heal?
Unread 06-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Surgery was 6/08/07

This is the 3rd time I have tried to post on this post-op forum and I am hoping it actually gets posted this time! Since I have been posting in other areas, it isn't like I don't know what I am doing -- so here goes, again!!

My surgery was on Friday, June 8th about 1pm. Following the procedure, the doctor said all went well and there were no surprises or complications. He removed my uterus and cervix and tightened everything up. I was quite miserable after surgery until they increased pain meds to a dosage that worked. I had told them in pre-op that morphine made me itch and that that was the only IV pain med I'd had in the past. I was told itching is a common reaction to IV pain meds so I might not actually be allergic to it. Unless I imagined this in my surgical fog - they started giving it to me anyway - as I remember someone saying "oh, look at that. She really is allergic to it. Give her ----." I don't remember what I ended up getting, but I remember opening my eyes, looking at my arm and seeing a red stripe starting up it.

I was not impressed with some of the care at the hospital I was at and I would definitely choose a different one in the future. Another thing was mentioning episotomy type stitches to my nurse, and she told me "all my stitches were internal. That there weren't any on the outside." WRONG, I do have them. I finally looked today, as they were "pinching" - and they still do! I just wonder if they will dissolve on their own, as my post op appt isn't until end of next week. Fortunately, my doctor asked if someone had removed the packing, and since nobody had to that point - he did it. A few hours later someone came in to do it - too late! I was also able to get rid of the catheter Sat. AM and have not had any problem with urinating or BMs, thank goodness. Of course, I had been taking prunes, prune juice, stool softeners, etc. since coming home which helped.
I wasn't given any post-op care instructions either. If I had not been reading post op care here and in a book I have -- I could have really messed up something! I was told that if I have severe abdominal pain or foul discharge, etc. to call right away. There is an odor, but from what I have been reading - it seems like that could be from the stitches. Is this correct?
[I do hope to mention some of the issues with my dr when I go in for a follow-up.] I came home about 7 on Sat. night, altho the insurance co had said to "start the clock" for 18 hours post surgery. When my doctor figured it out, I would have been released about 30 minutes after his visit Sat. AM. He said he wasn't doing that as he wanted to make sure I was doing ok.

Since being home, I am doing ok overall. I am sore of course, have been taking it easy and enjoying having others fixing dinner, etc. I have had gas and some bloating but hopefully that will subside soon.

I watered a couple flower boxes with a 2 Qt. pitcher yesterday and felt that -- so it would seem that holding a hose would be less taxing!

My DH's 'boss' had a TAH last fall, so she has 'enlightened' him on what it is like to go thru this procedure! She told him to work from home so he could be here all week, in case I needed him! She told him today that week 2 was harder on her than week 1, but she wasn't sure why. DH will be out of town starting Tuesday for a week, so he will miss week 2.

My DD and DgD both live here so they will be able to help and I have several friends who have offered to help. In the meantime I plan to read some week 2 post op comments to see what is typical!

I am thankful for HS and all the words of wisdom and encouragement!

Debbie

06-08-07 TVH, A&P repair for uterine and bladder prolapse
Kept ovaries.
Unread 06-14-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunieB
haha, too funny sazzy that you would mention the watering flowers with the garden hose, as I was just going to start a post about doing that. I have been wondering if I could start doing that yet, and I guess you just gave me the answer!!

yah you better take it easy, no hose, either one, for awhile, HEHE!
Unread 06-14-2007, 08:33 AM

laughed so hard.......haha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register