Biopsy Results--It's Back | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Biopsy Results--It's Back Biopsy Results--It's Back

Unread 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Biopsy Results--It's Back

My biopsy showed that my endometrial cancer has returned in two spots in my chest. I kindof figured that would be the outcome. I'll start 6 rounds of Adriamycin/Cisplatin on Monday. Have any of you ladies had this particular combination? I'm a little apprehensive about the Adriamycin, otherwise known as the "Red Devil"! I will be able to get 4 treatments out of the way before teachers start back August 17th. I'm in a tough spot in that I have to work one more year before I qualify for full retirement benefits and the retired teacher insurance program. My oncologist was adamant that he does not want me to quit working; he wants me to stay busy, and knows that in my case, an idle mind can be dangerous! He said he'll get me through these treatments. Thank goodness I have a couple of months off. Any information will be appreciated.

This will teach me to not be so vain about my eyelashes!

Adrienne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2007, 05:55 PM

(((Adrienne)))

I'm so sorry to hear that you have a recurrence to deal with. How unfair! Glad to hear you will be able to get most of your chemo finished before school starts again in the fall. I hope this drug combo is just exactly what you need to get back to dancing--this time with NERD.

Keeping you in my thoughts and 'ers.

Unread 06-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Hi Teacher2...

I'm one of those also - I had no desire to spend another summer recovering from surgery (this was the 2nd summer since I started working that I didn't have to work during the summer to stay on top of the bills)- but here I go again.... I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago (the other summer I didn't work) - they found uteran cancer then, but it required no further treatment - now with an enlarged ovary and multiple cysts the ovaries are coming out in a couple of weeks and they are preparing for the possibility of ovarian cancer.

Apprehensive - I understand very well! My thoughts are with you with your treatment and the upcoming school year. (I'm 8 years away from 30...yikes!)

Jana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Hi Adrienne
I am so sorry to hear your cancer returned. Your doctors seem right on top of things and looks like you will be able to start the new school year. While I don't have info on that chemo, I am certain if any of the ladies here have used it or know about it they will respond.
I will be keeping you in prayer and pls let us know how you are doing.
s
Unread 06-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Hi, Adrienne,
After reading posts over the years about the side effects of chemo, I have to say that it really ends up being a very individual thing.....your personal chemistry and constitution, the dosage and frequency of the drug. Given all that, I have had Doxil/Cisplatin in 2003 (doxil is a different form of adriamycin) and then last year adriamycin as a single agent.

I was only able to take the D/C in 2003 for 4 treatments every 4 weeks because the C was so hard on my blood counts.....they really took a dive.....it was very unexpected according to my team and that is why I say it's very individual. Nausea was a problem for me then. I tried Zofran but it wasn't enough and ended with Emend. The nurses at that time did not think the culprit was the doxil. I think cisplatin has a reputation for increased nausea.

Last year, I had 7 treatments of A at a reduced dose every 3 weeks. They gave me Aloxi via IV for nausea prior to infusion and I had no problem with nausea....maybe a little queasiness but not like the D/C. They were proactive in keeping me on schedule with Neulasta for the WBC.

My hair thinned with both doxil and adriamycin....never lost it all. I hope my post doesn't muddy the waters too much for you. The best to you on Monday!!!!!!

P.S. I also worked during chemo in 2003 although the week after chemo I was tired and again dealing with the nausea/queasiness.
Unread 06-09-2007, 08:18 PM

Aw crap!

I was truly hoping this not to be the case for you. But, I know you're a strong lady with a courageous spirit who will deal with this like a trooper!

Hugs & Prayers!
monami
Unread 06-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Sort of the same

Quote:
"Adriamycin/Cisplatin on Monday. Have any of you ladies had this particular combination?"
Hi, Adrienne,
I'm in arm one (Doxorubicin, Cisplatin, Paclitaxel) of the clinical trial GOG 0209 and here's a link in case you're interested in learning more about it.
http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/GOG-0209

Doxorubicin is the generic of Adriamycin. (Doxil is a bit different from what the chemo nurses told me. It's a form but it has different side effects.)

I do the first two chemos on one day and the Paclitaxel on the third. It is easier than I thought it would be. I pretty much feel back to normal by day 5 or 6 or 7 after the third chemo with a lot of energy days 7 thru 14. I've felt more normal sooner in recent rounds (but I wasn't battling strep throat, blood poisoning and a few other minor things after recent rounds like I was after the first three rounds.) Praying that Round Seven goes well.

I like your doctor's attitude about helping you through this. He sounds like a keeper.

You might ask him for a prescription for an antacid to help your stomach feel better. I've only taken 3 Zofran and in each case I think the nausea feeling resolved itself before the Zofran had time to work. I think the Antacid makes a big difference.

I had a severe itching which I think is, in reality, numbness / tingling but I have a prescription for something that wipes out the itching within 30 minutes and I only use it about once a week.

If you p-m me, I'll find links to other things I've posted about this. Or answer any other questions you might have as you go through this.

I'm getting ready to do round seven (my last).

Are you having a MUGA test before you start the Adry?

Will they give you a Nuelasta shot to boost blood cells after chemo?

We are pretty much doing the same thing only I'm doing a third chemo and an extra round. I haven't lost all my hair yet but I can count the number of hairs I have left in my formerly bushy brows and lashes. The majority of head hair fell out around Round Two and I have a wig. Brows have been more gradual but started using Lancome eyebrow pencil around Round Four, I think.

and prayers,
Kate
Unread 06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Chemo dyslexia

Ah, a prime example of what I call "chemo dyslexia:"
  Quote:
I do the first two chemos on one day and the Paclitaxel on the third.
Should read "... Paxlitaxel on the second."

Eat smaller meals more often on the days following chemo. This will help with the queasy feeling. My stand-by is Lean Cuisine Glazed Chicken which I heat and reheat until I finish eating it over the course of 3-4 hours. Baked potatoes are another food that helped before I started on the anti-acid.

Cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs, apples, toast and Edy's frozen yogurt-like ice cream are other foods I found comforting to eat.

Beef may not taste good to you or not the same.

Drink lots of water. I keep a bottle of water on my head board/night stand on the day(s) I sleep most of the day so it's there to sip every hour or so when I wake up but don't want to get up to get water.

There is a thread "Chemo tips" if you do a search, you'll find it. Several people mentioned things that helped them on it.

Wishing you the best. You can do this.
Kate
Unread 06-10-2007, 05:32 PM

So sorry you that you have to go through further treatments. I had adriamycin and cisplatin but I also had taxol. I had the Mugga test before treatments. My oncologist was agressive with the anti nausea meds so I never really even vomited ---- just felt sick some. The taxol I think was the one that made my feet numb and body ache. I had the a/c on one day and was there most of day. I did have shots for both red and white blood cells and although they both dropped they were manageable. Usually I felt good until day 3 or 4 after treatment and then better by mid second week. Third week I worked 40 hours, week 2 only part time. Best wishes.
Unread 06-10-2007, 08:14 PM

Thank you for all of your replies. I am really anxious about starting this new regimen tomorrow, but have tried to stay busy today with housecleaning and laundry. I did have a 2-D Echocardiogram on Tuesday and the onc. said I'd be having them after every second treatment. I'll have to ask him about the MUGA--I didn't know what that was but checked the website for my hospital and that test is available at the heart center. I will have Aloxi with my premeds, and will have Neupogen shots every other day for at least the first two weeks after each treatment. When I had taxol/carbo a few months ago, I started with Neulasta but couldn't tolerate the bone pain, and I find Neupogen to be no problem. I will probably be getting Aranesp shots regularly, too, as I have in the past. Tomorrow, I will be sent home with a saline drip and a pump, to keep me hydrated for 24 hours, and I'll also need to drink lots of water because of the Cisplatin. That's hard--water is not my favorite (I'm a Diet Coke girl) but my husband brought home several bottles of flavored water today and I'll try them. Thanks for the reminder about an antacid; I did have heartburn a couple of days after taxol/carbo and I took Pepcid AC, which helped a lot. I need to make sure we still have some in the cupboard. I can be sick all I want this summer, but I am going to have to be able to manage it well once school starts up again. Ok, I have my big girl panties on now and I'll just deal with it!

Adrienne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register