My letter to my family & friends | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My letter to my family & friends My letter to my family & friends

Unread 06-10-2007, 03:24 PM
My letter to my family & friends

I finally found a way to get some tension off my chest... and in what I think is a healthy way... I will be sending out the following letter to many of my family and friends tomorrow... and I thought I would share it with my sisters as well. Anyhow, here goes:

Dear family and friends,

Some of you may have already heard the news, and others may have not, so if I am repeating myself, I apologize ahead of time. On the 20th of June I will be going in for surgery. This time it is very major (to me anyway) and I am very scared, nervous, anxious… you name it, I feel it. I will be having a total hysterectomy (removal of uterus & cervix). At the present time, my doctor is planning on leaving my tubes and ovaries, as long as nothing is wrong with them. He will also be doing a lot of reconstructive stuff while he’s in there. I should be in the hospital for one or two days.

I think my doctor will do a great job. I have all the confidence in him in the world. He will be performing this surgery at ******Hospital of ******, GA. I have also heard many great things about this hospital in general, which does put my mind slightly at ease.

I am writing this letter to let everyone know that I need you to keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I really do not like asking for help, but this time I will need it. I will be off of work for a minimum of six weeks. I will have to have a catheter in for a minimum of one week also. Sigh. This will definitely NOT be any fun. But I am looking forward to the end result. I don’t want to get into tons of details, but one of the reasons that I am having this surgery is due to the prolapse of my uterus… basically it is trying to “fall” out of my body. Because I have had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix before, my doc will be removing it as well.

Anyhow, enough about that… I wanted to take a moment to tell you (each of you) that I love you and miss you. I haven’t seen many of you for quite some time… and I know I don’t call often enough, but please don’t think that I have forgotten you. True… I may be writing a “blanket statement” by sending the same letter out to each of you, but I am just under too much stress to write a personal letter to each… and I feel it is important to at least let you know how I feel.

I am minimally worried about going “under the knife” and not waking up… but that is the least of my worries. However, because it is always a possibility, this is why I am taking a moment to write this letter… just in case. I am very worried about the pain afterwards. I have been on pain meds already for quite some time and it worries me that they won’t give me something strong enough afterwards. But, I will talk to them on the 13th during my pre-op and explain my concerns.

I am truly lucky that I have Jay. He will be here by my side through it all. Brandon will be here with me to for the first week to week-and-a-half. Jordan will be coming up here mid July after I have recovered for a few weeks. Please feel free to call or write, but also understand that after the surgery I may not be up to talking… in other words, please don’t take it personal.

I want each of you to know that I think of you often… I really do. I get so caught up in my busy life, that I don’t always have time to tell you that you are loved, missed and thought of often. If anything were to ever happen to me, please remember that. We (as people) may not always take the time that we should, but that doesn’t mean the thought isn’t there. Does that make sense?

Anyhow, I’m going to stop here… I feel like I am just rambling. Again, please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Feel free to call, but please do not call me on the 20th. If I choose not to talk… again please do not take it as a personal insult. I’m going through a lot right now and I feel like I am on a rollercoaster ride of emotional havoc!
With loving thoughts, Desirée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Hi!
I think that is a lovely letter.
Good luck with everything.

Lizzy
Unread 06-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Dear dolphin,
My thoughts and prayers are with you also. I had my TAH - kept ovaries on May 30, 2007 with successful, virtually pain free and uneventful outcome so far. May your wishes come true and every thing turn out the way you just wanted . Your relatives and friends are very blessed to know you. Thanks for sharing your family and friends letter with all of us .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks for both comments I'm not too sure they feel blessed to know me lately... I've been complaining so much

I just needed to get it out somehow... and since I am so much better at writing my feelings than talking... I figured it was the best way to do it. I DO feel much better now though.

Pre-op is on wednesday... I think I will feel better after that too... then I will know more of what to expect... of course that'll probably get me worried all over again too...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.... up and down on the rollercoaster
Unread 06-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Good luck, dolphin, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers .
Unread 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM

What a great letter! I wrote the beginning part when I sent an email out to all my friends and family but not the more touching parts. Wish I would have seen that earlier!
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the complement blue-moon I really didn't think much about it when I wrote it... just needed to put something down on paper, know what I mean? My DH is sending them off today... I kinda fill silly for actually sending them, but o'well. Once I wrote it... DH said he would make sure they were sent.
Unread 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM

what a great DH.
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:52 PM

Desiree, that was a wonderful letter! I'm glad you took the time to do such a wonderufl thing for your family and friends!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register