epidurals for pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

epidurals for pain epidurals for pain

Unread 06-25-2001, 05:23 PM
epidurals for pain

Hi , I'd like to here experiences of women who have had an epidural for pain relief post surgically.
How long can it be kept going?How well did it work for you?
Thanks , redhead38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2001, 06:07 PM
epidurals for pain

Hi redhead!

You might try searching "epidural" on the search engine to find past threads on this topic. There have been many discussions.

Hope you find some good answers!

Karen
Unread 06-30-2001, 07:37 AM
epidurals for pain

Hi Redhead, My doc. suggested an epidural versus general anesth. for my surgery. I was sorta hesitant about it because the thought of a needle in my back was very scary. He said he had done about 20 surgeries this way and his patients all liked it better. So I said what the heck, I'll go for it and I am glad I did. First of all, it was totally painless. The needle is so fine, you dont really feel it at all. Then in about a minute you start feeling numb from the chest down. It wasnt a bad feeling just odd. I was very groggy. Then they started the procedure. I couldnt feel anything but I could tell that they were doing something (almost like a pulling and tugging feeling). They asked how I was doing and when I told them I wasnt in pain but I could tell that they were doing the surgery, they immediately put something stronger in my IV and then next thing I knew, I was in recovery! I was never sick or nauseated. I was still some numb when I got to my room but most of it had worn off. I would definiately consider this procedure. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2001, 11:17 AM
epidurals for pain

I have had 2 epidurals for 2 different surgeries. I never felt any kind of pain during either one.
But one concern I have about using an epidural for this kind of surgery is the apparent need to walk as soon as possible after the surgery to help move the gas out of your body plus to aid in moving the bowels.
After both my epidurals I couldn't walk for hours and even when I could it was only with a nurse on each side and my feet just kind of slid along with them. I also found it difficult to have a bowel movement after the epidural.
I have a spot on my spine where the epidural was administred that has been numb since, not a big area not even an inch in diameter. I was told it is nerve damage from the needle insertion. Now this has not caused me any problems in anyway but it is there.

On the other hand general anth. has it's faults as well. There is the nausea and possible headache. It also takes much longer to leave your system.

I would suggest talking this over at length with your DR and with a anesthesiologist they can give you this best picture for the pros and cons of each of these drugs.

I do understand your concerns it isn't an easy decision to make.

I'm still not decided which I will have...I have 5 days to make up my mind.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register