Not only HOT flashes but COLD flashes anyone else experiencing this??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not only HOT flashes but COLD flashes anyone else experiencing this??? Not only HOT flashes but COLD flashes anyone else experiencing this???

Unread 06-25-2001, 06:12 PM
Not only HOT flashes but COLD flashes anyone else experiencing this???

First just a quick THANK YOU FOR HAVING THIS SITE.. :)
It's helped so much...
I had a total hysterectomy on June 8th 2001... I'm not on est, yet because I had endro and it was very bad,(plus ovarian cysts, the right ovary was twice it's normal size, I had fibroids and a fiborma) and the Dr wanted to wait till I was 4 weeks post op.. anyway.. I started having MAJOR COLD flashes..and a few HOT flashes.. about 6 days ago, are the cold flashes normal?? Am I imagining them., or does it have to do with surgery recovery more so then sugerigical menopause?? My iron was very very low pre-op even though I was on slow Fe and I did loose a lot of blood during surgery. Just wanted to know if this was normal...
Thank you
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2001, 06:49 PM

Don't know if it is normal or not but I too have cold flashes. Even after three months. I dont leave home with out taking a long sleeved shirt with me. Chills will suddenly come over me just as quickly as a hot flash will but last longer. I have spoke to my HDDR. about it and he shrugged his shoulders. I think he thought I was talking through my hat. Don't know what else to do but dress in layers. Sounds funny when the temp out side is eighty eight.
The best to you.
Unread 06-25-2001, 08:13 PM
cold flashes!!!!

Cold flashes definitely occur....I had them before my hysterectomy...I'm 55 and I had them from about 50 on....seems like I would just chill like crazy and the next second I'd be burning up....my poor DH and son.....it was crazy.....I haven't had anything like that since surgery as they put me on the patch immediately....hallelujah....and so far no horrible heat flashes either!!!

As soon as you get on your HRT it should stop....hopefully!

Hugs to you all
sheilac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2001, 09:01 PM
Hi wrmheart!

I had cold flashes...more like the chills. My Dr. told me that they were the body`s way of saying it needed rest. Even if you don`t think you are tired, your body is exhausted. You are not that far out from major surgery.

Also...at 3 weeks you begin to 'feel' your surgery more as the anesthesia is finally leaving your system. Be sure to drink lots of water to help flush the toxins from surgery.

Now back to the couch and rest, rest, rest!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 06-26-2001, 06:17 PM

Don't know about cold flashes being normal but oh, yeah, I have them too, sometimes it almost seems I go from a cold flash to a hot flash and back again! It's gotten to the point that if we go out to eat at a restaurant, I always take a jacket, and I end up taking it off and putting it on several times during the meal!
I used to always be cold, at least the hot flashes are a change!
Unread 06-26-2001, 06:34 PM
Hot and Cold Flashes - Pre and Post Hyst

I started HRT in January (estrace and prometrium) due to low FSH levels. I was having hot flashes for about 6 months - although living in Florida in the summer, it was hard to tell if it was "flashes" or just hot and humid. I had the chills/sweats pre-surgery when I was in an air-conditioned building/room - kept a jacket to put on/take off depending on what I was feeling at the time. At home I'd turn the thermostat up/down every 1/2 hour or so cause I couldn't find a comfortable temp...I live alone w/my cat so I had control of the thermostat.

Now I'm 4 weeks post op and find that it's easier to leave the windows open and sit in front of a fan (drinking lots of water and allowing my body to cool via a good sweat - it's usually in the 70's to lower 90's and it's a HUMID heat - I prefer the humid to dry heat). I turn on the air conditioner at night for sleeping with a fan running - using only a sheet. I gave up trying to use air conditoning while awake cause it seemed I kept going from being too hot - to - too cold. I see my Gyn next week - will check with her to see if increasing estrace dosage will help - especially when I go back to work and sweating in front of a fan in scanty clothing is not an option (I work in a pharmacy and it's usually kept cool - also has a business casual dress code).

Noni
Unread 06-26-2001, 07:00 PM

COLD FLASHES. More like ICE flashes.
I had those when I started going into menopause a couple of years before my tah. It was around the same time that I started having hot flashes. I would wake up during the middle of the night shivering, with my teeth almost chattering. I kept an extra blanket by my side of the bed and would slip on my long terry robe under the covers. It would last for just a few minutes and then turn into a hot flash. Soon afterwards we got my HRT straightened out and I haven't had one since
Unread 06-26-2001, 08:23 PM

Yeah, they are completely normal.

Fluctuating hormone levels confuse the "thermostat" in your body. It thinks that the core body temperature is plunging, so it "flashes hot." It rushes in all the mechanisms for warming up the core temperature--which of course doesn't need it, so you end up a sweaty red faced mess. So, other signals say, "are you nuts" to the thermostat and rush in to drop the body temperature again, causing the body to "flash cold."

So, hot flashes, cold flashes, and even the constant "is it warm in here?" are all normal. Anesthesia itself can trigger them, but of course for most of us it's the hormones bouncing around. I have to say though, even though they're normal, it's nice not to have them.
Unread 06-26-2001, 09:00 PM

Thank you everyone who responded, it helps SO much knowing I'm not totally crazy.. I did read that vitamin E 800mg a day can help with hot flashes if you aren't taking HRT, I'm thinking it will also help with the cold flashes.. It can't hurt to take that at least till July 13th I see my gyno again...
Unread 06-27-2001, 04:54 AM

Studies show that you'll get better help from black cohosh (brand name Remifemin) than from vitamin E. If you do try the vitamin E, use Natural (says 100% d-alpha whatsis instead of dl-alpha whatsis). The synthetic does not have the same effect in studies.

There's more on black cohosh on the pulldown menu at www.hormonejungle.com

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register