Navel Pain - 8 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Navel Pain - 8 weeks post-op Navel Pain - 8 weeks post-op

Unread 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Naval Pain

I had surgery 8 weeks ago and am having severe naval pain. I have a problem with any material touching my naval area, obviously I can not go outside as I have to keep my mid area clear of any clothing. Has anyone had a similar situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Navel Pain - 8 weeks post-op

Sosore, I am 3.5 weeks post. Dr had to cut up through my belly button and I have those pains sometimes. They are really stabbing but mine go away pretty qucikly. It seems to flare up for an hour or so then go away and I am not sure why.
Unread 06-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Me too ... 8 weeks out

I haven't been on the forums since May 13. It's been so long I don't remember the acronym for my surgery ... Total Abdominal Hysterectomy with both ovaries removed and cervix ... anywho I've made an appointment with my doctor (seeing him on Tuesday) .... due to navel pain, swelling, and if I just brush the area it hurts. I came online tonight because the waiting is horrific ... just like it was for the hysterectomy itself. Sometimes it actually feels like period cramps. I thought it was just the process of healing, but was talked into calling the doctor. The nurse said it wasn't normal, so I have an appointment. I hope there are answers here before Tuesday, but if not, I will check back to let you know what was up. Course we have to preface it by saying ... call the doctor, eveyrone is an individual. My hope and calculations are that so many nerve endings were cut during the surergy and we're now starting to feel the nerves healing (my doctor said it would take about 3 months for tthe nerves to heal). Good luck and let's hope we can have some answers here. I have to keep remembering with the surgery that it was the waiting that was really the worst for me ... I've had no complications and was back to work in 5 weeks. (I was lucky/blessed, I know).

to both of you and let's hope for some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Naval Pain

Tracy,
I went to my doctor last week and he said he did not know what was causing the naval pain. I could be a nerve or the incision. I hope you have more luck with your doctor. MY doctor told me if I still have pain in two months to come back.
Sandy
Unread 06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Naval Pain as well

I had surgery May 14th and I also have naval pain and am very sensative to pain. I had laproscopic abdominal hyst. I was thinking I had been over doing it but it others have the same pain maybe it is something else. I have to work and it is uncomfortable to be at work 8-9 hours a day with the pain.
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Saw doc

My pain is not only navel-related, but I also have a swelly belly throughout the day and the entire abdoman is tender to the touch and gets worse as the day progresses. Saw my doc today (what a sweetie) ... he checked me for possibility of hernia at the internal sutures (all clear) and then we discussed the nerves. I had a TAH (both ovaries and cervix removed) and he said that research shows we only get back 1cm/week of our feelings in the abdoman back because the nerves were cut. The feelings I am having is related to the healing of those nerves. If it doesn't go away at 6 months he wants to se me again, but there is nothing to worry about. He said it was better safe than sorry and was happy that I came in about this. So my suggestion is, as all princesses always preface, call your doctor if you haven't already. If you already have ... give it some more time and if you're still not comfortable with what your doctor said, force the issue. Become your own patient advocate. I don't think we should ever accept, "I don't know" with the doctor leaving it at that. THAT is NOT what we pay them for. If they don't know, then find out or send us to someone who will. My mind is at ease because I trust my doc. Good luck to all of you.
Unread 06-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Naval Pain

Tracy,

Thaks for the info. I had everything removed includng my appendicts. My doctor told me to come back in two months but he is not as nice as your doctor. My doctor said he didn't know what it was and gave me no clue and no explanation about what it could be.

I hope we both heal soon.

Sandy
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:54 PM

At week 5, called gyn/oco, still in pain. Told me I shouldn't be in pain by week 4, thought I had uti. Took antibiotics. Week 7 still in pain, came in for appt, told me nothing wrong and just some people heal slower. Well, I'm now 9 weeks out from my total hyst and I'm still in pain. I take 6 tylenol and 12 advil a day and I'm still not comfortable. If I don't take the painkillers, can't touch my stomach. I tried calling the gyn/oco except gyn/oco has not returned my call. I called my regular gyn and reg gyn said call gyn/oco. I'm ready to ditch the gyn/oco. I wasn't in this much pain when I had my memectomy! I don't think anyone is unreasonable when you want an end to the pain! The surgery is suppose to make you better, not worse!
Unread 06-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Naval pain

I know exactly what you are going through. After two months I am in still in pain. My doctor didn't seem the least bit interested that I am having such a bad time. He told me to come back in two months. I have not been outside my home (only to go to the doctor) since I came home from the hospital. I have a hard time putting clothing anywhere near my naval area. I have tried aspirin etc. but nothing helps. I don't know what to do.
Sandy
Unread 06-22-2007, 05:30 PM

The combo worked, tylenol and advil together. Forget about the instructions. I take the extended release tylenol which works for 8 hours instead of the 4 and then 2 advil or motrin every 4 hours. Yeah, I know it is bad for your stomach but the gyn/onc doesn't care. Think I should report the dr. to the pain management center or lack of! I can't even sit for more than 15 minutes before the pain starts on my right side and then my left. Went to a movie, couldn't even enjoy it since I was in so much pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register