Smoothies, anyone?? Great recipes. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Smoothies, anyone?? Great recipes. Smoothies, anyone?? Great recipes.

Unread 06-25-2001, 09:40 PM
Smoothies, anyone?? Great recipes.

I found some great recipes today for smoothies. Recipes follow. I made the Almost-A-Split Smoothie tonight, and it was delicious. I have others if anyone would like me to post them.

Almost-a-Split Smoothie

Start to Finish: 10 minutes

2 medium bananas, cut up
1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple (juice pack)
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 cups vanilla or strawberry frozen yogurt

Several drops red food coloring (optional)

In a blender container, combine bananas, undrained pineapple, thawed concentrate, and, if desired, red food coloring. Cover and blend until smooth. Add frozen yogurt, half at a time, blending until smooth after each addition. If desired, garnish with orange wedges and strawberries. Makes 3 or 4 servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: 383 cal., 6 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 20 mg. chol., 98 mg. sodium, 81 g carbo., 3 g dietary fiber, 7 g pro. Daily Values: 144% Vit. C, 24% folate, 20% thiamine, 23% riboflavin, 32% Vit. B-6, 18% calcium, 27% potassium.

Cheesecake Smoothie

Start to Finish: 5 minutes

1 8 ounce package fat-free cream cheese, cut up
3/4 Cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 Cup fat-free milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tsp. vanilla
2 Cups ice cubes

In a blender container, combine cream cheese, thawed concentrate, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Cover and blend until smooth. Add ice cubes, 1 cup at a time, blending until smooth after each addition. Makes 3 or 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts per Serving: 229 cal., 0 g total fat, 13 mg chol., 24 mg sodium, 43 g carbo, 1 g dietary fiber, 14 g pro. Daily Values: 164% Vit. C, 31% Vit. A, 28% folate, 14% thiamine, 33% calcium, 16% potassium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2001, 09:47 PM
Here's another

This one is adapted from one in an older Prevention magazine:

1 scoop soy isolate powder*
2 heaping tablespoons ground flaxseed (if you have a good gutsy blender you can use whole flaxseeds, which keep better)
1/2 to 1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 to 1 cup frozen other berries (strawberries, raspberries, cherries, etc.)
1 orange or a blob of oj concentrate
enough water to make it blendable. The shake with the water combited usually totals 4 1/2 cups for me.

Blend forever until smooth.

* Prevention is now coming down in favor of whole soy instead of the powder, so you're welcome to try some tofu in the shake instead. Let me know how it comes out.
Unread 06-26-2001, 08:18 PM

I'd really like more "healthy recipes"...including smoothies! Keep these coming...and add them here! Thanks! and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2001, 08:40 PM

Way to go Catherine. Thanks for the recipies!
Unread 06-27-2001, 05:48 AM

Thanks Catherine! Thanks Denise! Sounds
Unread 06-27-2001, 07:27 PM

Thanks Catherine ........ The Almost-A-Split Smoothie along with the Chocolate Pudding Cake ..... Sounds like heaven to me
Unread 06-27-2001, 09:29 PM
Smoothies

Catherine, I have tried several smoothies this summer and they are delicious. I would love to make my own. The Almost a Split sounds great. If you have more recipes I would love to have them for my collection. In this hot Gulf Coast weather, they are a great light lunch. Thx again.
Unread 06-27-2001, 09:50 PM
More Smoothie Recipes

3-Fruit Smoothie

Start to Finish: 10 minutes

1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple (juice pack)
1 8 ounce carton vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 medium banana, cut up and frozen
1 cup orange juice

In a blender container, combine undrained pineapple, yogurt, frozen banana, and orange juice. Cover and blend until smooth. If desired, garnish each serving with an orange wedge. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts per Serving: 142 cal., 1 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 4 mg chol., 41 mg sodium, 31 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber, 3 g pro. Daily Values: 66% Vit. C, 12% Vit. B-6, 12% Calcium, 12% Potassium

Orange-Mango Smoothie

Start to Finish: 15 minutes

2 Cups cubed peeled cantaloupe
1 Mango, peeled, seeded, and cubed
1/2 Cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 cups ice cubes

In a blender container, combine cantaloupe, mango and thawed concentrate. Cover and blend until smooth. Add ice cubes, 1 cup at a time, blending until smooth after each addition. If desired, garnish with orange peel curls. Makes 3 or 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts per Serving: 156 cal. 1g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg. chol., 14 mg sodium, 38 g carbo, 2 g dietary fiber, 2 g pro. Daily Values: 225% Vit. C, 62% Vit. A, 25% folate, 14% thiamin, 14% Vit. B-6, 21% postassium.
Unread 06-27-2001, 10:02 PM

Do you think that frozen yogurt can be exchanged for vanilla yogurt in these recipes that call for plain yogurt?
Unread 06-27-2001, 10:06 PM

I think you can substitute. I used low-fat strawberry yogurt in the Almost a Split smoothie instead of frozen yogurt (only because I didn't have any frozen yogurt). It tasted great. Try it, and let us know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register