Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 - Page 32 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Unread 07-10-2007, 04:53 AM
I"M free no cath!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm free I"m free of that nasty old cath.Was beginning to think it would never come out.It took me an entire day becouse of a mixup with the doctor but it was well worth it . I'm not in as nearly as much pain .That was a long three weeks thank god it's over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

I am three weeks post-op and I have the same pain on my left side along with a swelly belly. I can't wait until all the pain and swelling goes down. I guess some of us just have to wait a little longer than everyone else, that doesn't mean that something is wrong, it just means our bodies take a little longer to heal. I also think that the pain has to do with how much difficulty we had during the operation. I was bruised all along my abdomen after surgery, due to my fibroid had prolapsed into my cervix and was protruding into my vagina, so a lot of manipulation was done to get out my uterus with the fibroid. Just take it easy and time will heal.
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North49
Hi Marva,

You are the only other one I have noticed that had a cath in as long as I did with also bladder repair. Tomorrow will be one week that I have had the cath out and I still get spasms and pains. If I don't reapply the patch and take 1/2 Valium every day it becomes unbearable. I talked to my doc today and she said that is normal but I forgot to ask how long I should expect to feel these. Have you been told this or know how long it may stick around?
Alaskagirl
North49: Sorry I didn't check e-mail last evening or I would have got back to you sooner--The first couple of days without the cath. were TERRIBLE with cramps + pain when I peed; every time got better, though and in a couple of days it was way better. My urologist (I had 2 surgeons: an ob/gyn for the prolapses & hysterectomy, the urologist for bladder repair & sling) said it takes time for the swelling to go down; I didn't have a patch or pain meds except for the over-the-counter stuff; when I got the urinary tract infection (last weekend 7/11--the uti caused huge bladder spasms with the cath. in!!!), I talked to the colleague of my urologist who suggested Benadryl (or Tylenol PM or Sominex) because diphenhydramine calms bladder spasms -- I tried it and it worked for me -- I took it for a couple of days after the cath was out, even; he said he could prescribe a drug that also calmed them but that drug would inhibit my ability to urinate on my own. FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE A UTI -- some people have posted that even a yeast infection post-op has caused them major problems with urinary repairs. Don't hesitate to insiste they test & find out what may be wrong...hang in there, sister & keep in touch. marva637
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2007, 08:59 AM

3 weeks postop tomorrow, July 11th.

Surgery went well. Had endometrial cancer, got total abdominal hysterectomy. Was released on 4th night at hospital but had fever before released and left leg very sore,tender. Got off pain meds on 2nd day in hospital -- made me very nausea and dizzy. After stopped could get up and walk in hospital, go to bathroom and move without feeling like I was going to throw up, etc. Gas pains hit really bad on 3rd day and even when I got home but gas x 125mg pills help and hot tea. By making sure I force myself to eat something 2-3 times a day it allows me to get bm but was difficult and still takes some time to do a little. Took whole 3 weeks for my leg to stop hurting as bad - have phlebitis in left calf wrapped all way around and under back of knee. Have to keep elevated, in ted hose and heat on it. For my incision, no staples or sutures -- they used steri-strips and when I started itching something terrible thought was healing but when dr saw me for post-op visit I actually have a REALLY bad reaction to the steri-strips and that's why I itch so bad in incision area and looks like I've been burned. Had put ice packs on to help with itching, took benadryl to try to put me to sleep and found 2.5 hydrocortisone cream which really helps - 1.0 cream doesn't do anything.

Feeling better now. Removed steri-strips, take showers (be glad when can take nice long hot bath though). Off gas x now but keep handy. Leg still sore but not as bad.

Have started feeling like the furnace during some early mornings when I wake up and have to kick all the covers off for about 3-5 min and then okay again. Feels like inside being pulled when have bm but not as bad as before but still feel. Try not to take any meds.

Glad to hear everyone else is doing well and I too can't see how anyone is ready to go back to work after just 4-5 weeks.

Sometimes when I'm up I feel great but sometimes just standing at the sink and washing off fruit drains me and I feel dizzy, lightheaded.

51 and doing great .... thanks to everyone helping at home and I wish I would have found this site earlier ... before surgery or even when I first came home.

Had laptop and cell phone and everything on bed beside me so I could reach everything and not have to pick up a lot when I came home. Hubby sleeps in another room till I've completely well per him.

I am now - today - putting vitamin E oil on area to try to help and maybe not have look soo bad when heals. Still taking it easy, not driving, not lifting, etc. and just saw the checkpoints which really are helpful for me and gave me points and helpful info that I've been surfing the web looking for.
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Marva637 and others:
Marva-your profile is a little similar to mine-b/d, hobbies, surg.-I'm near the 3 wk mark and so much better--surg.was at a teaching/univ.hosp, excellent, but when my B/P went to 40/20 i was in recovery longer than the 3 1/2 hr surg.! Got to go home when it went to 90's/60's (norm for me). While in castle hated the cath-couldn't sleep-1st walk felt like carrying bowling ball inside tummy pulling at everything-was NOT going home with that cath & 1st pee was a painful success. Home !
1ST WK: roughest- b-ball felt lighter--walked like a lill ol lady--yeast infect(fireyITCHY) was worst part til meds cleared it--1st bm a doozy-stool softs were & still are a life saver
2ND WK: still fuzzy headed (anesthes. takes so long to get out of you)--brain works slower! Few headaches, Tylenol occas.,tire easily,then strong, then wiped out-get out more-movie or restaurant, no driving yet. Saw gyn who did LAVH (removed everything) for post op-- good--path showed all benign uter.fibroid,cerv polyp, ovaries atrophic, tubes norm--glad to just get them all out altho only prob was prolapsed uterus & bladder--since i've been already thru menopause she said i won't have any hormonal blues, etc.-YEA! - clothes fit better-prefer drawstrings--navel looks so small! slight swelling--lap scars almost invisible--may start driving--this week a bad one-- missed a dear aunt's funeral-doc said NO 7hr car ride anywhere--then my DS (almost 20 yr) gets caught w/open beer in car(will they ever learn?)--then our 3yr old dog had to have emerg surg for kidney stones (lots of them, one so big it almost tore urethra) poor thing--very painful and looks pitiful at me like " why did you let them do this to me"-So she and I are couch potato buddies, lazing & getting waited on--then an upstairs bathrm toilet has a major leak--i haven't been upstairs in over 2 wks & the guys here were clueless. DH has been super thru it all being nurse, waiter, maid,driver to dr, vet, courthouse for DS, (not a plumber tho) and just recently had a friend who was in France vacationing & stepped in front of a bus & now friend has a brain hemmorage & induced coma! So I may be taking care of DH soon from all the stress he's under now!
3RD WEEK : tomorrow! no pain-just feels weird when stooping to pick up things-learned to use my toes some--sitting is fine--brain still seems on low speed (keeping up with body i guess)--anxious to see urologist post op @ 6th wk out -he stepped in after gyn did the LAVH and did an enterocele & cyctocele repair & anterior vaginal wall suspension -want to learn how my life may change-with wt limits on lifting anything > 25 lbs--used to work out lots @ gym & need wt training to keep osteoporus at bay.
Hope all of you are healing fast and in good spirits--tomorrow will be better than yesterday!
Unread 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Hello sisters! I am glad to hear of all the progress out there. We are coming through to the other side now.

I'm coming up on 3 weeks. The last few days have been a big improvement - very little pain. Taking ibuprofen now & then.

But I am still light-headed and ditzy feeling. Every day is different. Some days I have a few hours of energy, then a nap, then more energy. Some days I feel exhausted all day long no matter what I do. And today I have felt pretty good most of the day, although still dizzy sometimes.

I still have swelly belly, still pretty numb. My right leg is very numb. My incision looks very good. It's just a purple line now. I hate riding in the car - the road vibrations jiggle me and make me afraid I'll start hurting.

Do you notice you are gunshy about anything that might hurt?! I am!! I am very careful all the time!! The walking is still going great. I usually walk 2x daily. Once in morning, once after dinner. I feel I need it to help w/BM's which are still sluggish. I drink tons of water, eat lots of healthy fiber and take pills from the health food store to help digestion.

If this sounds like a lot of complaining, I am truly grateful to have the hysterectomy. Even with swelly belly, I am smaller than I was with the big fibroid. I have lost 5 pounds. Clothes fit better, although I am sticking with comfy stretch pants for now.

Great progress everyone!! I am so glad to hear of improvements and so sorry for those who need to go back to work already or coming up soon.
Every day gets better!
Unread 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperoni
But I am still light-headed and ditzy feeling. Every day is different. Some days I have a few hours of energy, then a nap, then more energy. Some days I feel exhausted all day long no matter what I do. And today I have felt pretty good most of the day, although still dizzy sometimes.
Dear Pepperoni (and everyone),

I know exactly how you feel! I felt SO good last Friday when I saw the doctor - actually felt like my old self. Saturday was sluggish, but I was better on Sunday. Then, yesterday and today I have had absolutely NO energy! Thank heaven for this site, which let's me know it's all normal! I'm trying to live the "one day at a time" motto, and be thankful that I'm on the road to recovery.

My biggest outing will be Thursday (3 weeks from surgery date) when my DS, DD and I will go see the new Harry Potter movie at the IMAX theater. I'm excited, but worry I will get worn out and blow the whole outing (though, how can one get worn out watching a movie?). I'm sure I will be fine, and it will be good to do something "normal" for a change. The house continues to be a mess (except for the items DD takes care of for me), and it's frustrating, but I let it go. It is more important for me to heal than it is for the carpet to be vacuumed, after all.

I'll just continue to play Scarlett and say "tomorrow is another day!"

Anyone else bored out of their mind? If so, please drop me an email! I'm finding myself missing adult conversation!

Love to all,
Unread 07-10-2007, 05:37 PM

i am 3 weeks post op and am experiencing a lot of depression. I don't know how to get past this. I have always had a problem with depression and have been on prozac for years but never felt like this. I feel like taking my whole bottle of prozac sometimes. I have such mixed emotions about everything. Next weekend we are going camping and I was looking forward to it before my surgery and now I really don't care if I go but I know I can't disappoint my kids. Is this feeling normal? I don't know what to do. I just feel like crying all the time.
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulak236
i am 3 weeks post op and am experiencing a lot of depression. I don't know how to get past this. I have always had a problem with depression and have been on prozac for years but never felt like this. I feel like taking my whole bottle of prozac sometimes. I have such mixed emotions about everything. Next weekend we are going camping and I was looking forward to it before my surgery and now I really don't care if I go but I know I can't disappoint my kids. Is this feeling normal? I don't know what to do. I just feel like crying all the time.
I'm sorry you are feeling so bad! Please, please talk with your doctor and see about getting meds adjusted or new meds to help with this depression - it maybe hormonal and impacting your existing condition.....
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM

Hi Sisters! I had my sub-AH on june 20th and came home on Friday the 22nd. My doctor took a picture of my uterus it was so big!! It was the size of a 24 week pregnancy with five large fibroids. One had infarction, or had started to calcify and he asked if my pain had been worse in the last couple of months....well yea!! Glad I got this taken care of now and didn't wait. I feel great and am healing well. I take walks every day and drink lots of water. I've watched lots of fun movies but keep my pillow handy in case I need to belly laugh. I took pain meds for about 4 days after i got home and then I was able to manage with Tylenol so my head cleared. I haven't had any other meds since then and I will be 21 days post op tomorrow. I was taking loratab constantly PREOP for pain from my constant periods! I hope you guys are doing well....I make sure to rest lots and smile lots....remember, laughter (with a pillow) really is the best medicine!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register