Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 - Page 37 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Unread 07-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Hi Ladies,
We are on track!! One of the reasons I am doing well is because I read this site every day.
That way I have perspective and realistic expectations for myself.
DH has been out of town this week and we just talked. He was a little surprised when I told him I am not really rolling til about 11am. I sleep in as later as I can stand to. Then I have some tea, walk around a little outdoors, lay around, eat a little bit, get a shower.
Boom - it's 11am and time to start the day!

I am usually such an energetic early bird, but this is my post-op version of me! He is a sweetie and he definitely forgets. Sometimes, when he is cuddling, his hands travel to my belly and he gets an elbow. It's just a reflex reaction now!

Well, this current schedule will dissolve over the next few weeks as I get better and better. Yesterday I did not nap. I watched a movie and that was enough to feel rested. (I usually am too impatient to sit and watch a movie on my time off).

Today, slight discharge- thin brownish, but no sign of stitches coming out yet.
Quite swollen belly - but weight is stable. I guess that is just normal.
BM felt very normal today, YAY!!!
Bladder control and bladder capacity has improved quite a bit. Pre-surgery, my fibroid blocked my ureter and it was hard to eliminate.
I hope I can remember to appreciate the simple comfort of being able to pee.
As I get better I start to take things for granted.

Cheryl, I think your plans sound very prudent. Enjoy your HS reunion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2007, 08:32 AM

Hi ladies,

My progress report... well it's just over 3 weeks since surgery and I went in for a post-op appt yesterday. I got a silver nitrate treatment for what used to be my cervix. I've had a horrible head cold and all of the coughing is putting a lot of stress on that area. Blah.

I got to see pre-op pictures and post-op pictures of my insides, which was quite interesting. I think my doc was trying to stress to me just how much work he had to do and how much was done to help me get perspective on why I'm not back to normal yet. He follows this up with extending my leave from work through to August.

My job is of course not that happy about it, but I work for a hospital and they stressed I had to have written releases back to work. My doctor wouldn't release me until then so they have to deal.

So for the time being, I am resting, doing what I can without killing myself and fighting off all the non-believers that my recovery is taking this long. That is the biggest battle I've ever had.

Gipsi
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Hi all:
My report is pretty much the same as all of you: things are daily getting better and better. I still get amazingly tired on some days & usually plan for a p.m. nap, but my behind is getting sore from all the sitting around, so I am up and about more and more, even walking outside & will try driving soon; I even went to the grocery store with dh 2 days ago + Fleet Farm & Shopko yesterday for some dh clothes shopping. (Have I mentioned that he has been a saint through all of this?!?) I am taking it so slow: just keep reminding myself that I have only one chance to heal. I feel so fortunate that I do not have the disease worry that some of you have had or have to take care of small children + housework during this; my husband & I are semi-retired -- he works weekends, 12hrs midnight to noon & I only have to worry about getting our 2 dogs out a couple of times...they mind me without a leash, no leash walks with me yet for a while. Also, my job as a sub. teacher leaves me off all summer, so don't even have to think about work until 9/1...then I can turn down jobs I don't want. I am going to be careful about taking any spec. ed. jobs that require lifting, tho!
Meanwhile, count your blessings if your bladder lets you sleep thru the night! I am up every 2 hours all night long -- don't know if it is just because I have a small bladder, or what! -- but if I get too full, I just spill urine and am incontinent. The stress incontinence I have had for 35 yrs. is gone now, tho, so I can cough, sneeze or whatever without that worry. Just will have to be careful, I guess.
My main other complaint is the bill -- I have one more to roll in, and we are already at $28k+: with no insurance, that is a worry. However, I am applying for a grant from the hospital -- hope they reduce it a little for me. I have applied for jobs with them in the past, but it seems like nobody wants to even interview me -- can you say 'age discrimination'? I have been trying for a job with benefits for 5 years now; oh well...
Ladies, if you have to lift a kid or something, remember to use your legs, bend your knees, not your stomach! Remember that if kids get up on something they can get themselves down! Slide a chair over, or a stool for them to climb down on and coach them through how to do it. Teach them how to take care of themselves...even at 5 or 6 kids can make themselves lunch, etc. with supervision; mine already had little work jobs around the house be 3 or 4 -- it's part of contributing to family life etc.
BlueMoonRose: I second the advice about Alanon + hospital or other clinic social workers.
Meanwhile, I am busy cheering us all on, we will survive & be healthy!

TVH with repair of cystocele, rectocele, 2 enteroceles + bladder repair + sling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Today is my three week anniversary. I think I am doing pretty good. Driving, moving about, but still being cautious. As a result of feeling well, I have done a few things I shouldn't and my body has not hesitated to let me know. I don't do pampered well.

I am having stabbing pains internally on occaision but from what I read, it is normal. I also have what I call Phantom Pains. It feels like my ovaries are cramping but I know they aren't there.

My bladder seems to be behaving better. It was definatley in spasms for the first two weeks.

I have had two episodes this past week that worried me. Both times were after going out to dinner and having two glasses of wine. (I am not on pain meds anymore). I come home and my heart is racing, I am in a cold sweat, and I develop a terrible migrane. Both tiimes I took a Vicadin, put ice packs on my head and layed in the dark for an hour or so till it passed. The first time I attributed it to the temperature because it was still hot and humid out at night. But last night it was lovely out. Cool, and breezy. Maybe it's the wine? Or perhaps yesterday it was a result of having had my dreaded needle biopsy of my thyroid that morning. Either way, it's rather scary.

Hugs to all and happy healing.
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandsunsets
Today is my three week anniversary. I think I am doing pretty good. Driving, moving about, but still being cautious. As a result of feeling well, I have done a few things I shouldn't and my body has not hesitated to let me know. I don't do pampered well.

I am having stabbing pains internally on occaision but from what I read, it is normal. I also have what I call Phantom Pains. It feels like my ovaries are cramping but I know they aren't there.

My bladder seems to be behaving better. It was definatley in spasms for the first two weeks.

I have had two episodes this past week that worried me. Both times were after going out to dinner and having two glasses of wine. (I am not on pain meds anymore). I come home and my heart is racing, I am in a cold sweat, and I develop a terrible migrane. Both tiimes I took a Vicadin, put ice packs on my head and layed in the dark for an hour or so till it passed. The first time I attributed it to the temperature because it was still hot and humid out at night. But last night it was lovely out. Cool, and breezy. Maybe it's the wine? Or perhaps yesterday it was a result of having had my dreaded needle biopsy of my thyroid that morning. Either way, it's rather scary.

Hugs to all and happy healing.
Just watch the vicodin with that wine - don't want to have a realllly bad problem! Those two don't mix.
Unread 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Half way there!! So glad to put the past 3 wks behind me now. I know with each day and each week that goes by, things will just keep getting better. I haven't driven yet though, and will probably wait another week before attempting it. I have been walking though, which feels so good. I live in a very rural area, and right around the time I had my surgery, we started having a black bear visit our neighbourhood, and worse, our back yard! Anyways, that meant I didn't dare go out for walks, and just walked around my yard a bit. But they finally trapped the bear 2 nights ago, and moved him, so I'm hoping it's now safe for walking again. After all, I can't exactly run right now! hehe. The most exciting part of this week for me was going out with DH on Tuesday for lunch, and then do groceries! I'm still feeling mostly well, but last couple days seem to have more swelly belly, and well, felt a bit cranky (unlike my usual self). Anyways, just realized I would have started my period in a few days, so probably suffering a bit from PMS. (I was fortunate enough to keep one ovary). It's still such a strange notion that I won't ever have my period again.

I'm happy to have another 3wks off before I go back to work. (I feel so badly for anyone having to go back before they're ready!!!) Although I am feeling good (compared to constant pain before surgery), I still can't imagine working full time right now. I'm going to do my best to enjoy these last few weeks... I hope you all continue to recover well! I think Im going to go for a little now.

~~ Oh, and Cheryl (ScrubsFan).. enjoy your 20th reunion.. just be careful. I'm having mine in a few weeks as well!

Judy
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Throw another complication in

I decided to call my gyno today about the episodes I mentioned in my previous posts. They recommened that I call my primary physician because it was more than likely related to blood pressure or thyroid.

I called my primary and she had me come right in. My BP was 145/95 the first time she took it and 165/97 the second time. My heart rate is at 110 bpm (normal is around 70). She added a Topral to my mix of meds. I am already on Atacand HCT and Norvac for my blood pressure so this will be a third pill. Since we don't have perscription coverage..........I wasn't thrilled. She wants to see my again on Tuesday and hopes to have the biopsy results from my thyroid back by then.

More fun and games.
Unread 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM

Dottie- I am glad you had that checked & added the medication. I know the $$ part is a drag, but high blood pressure will really cause problems if left untreated.
Smart move.
Unread 07-13-2007, 08:59 PM

3 weeks--I'm halfway there, also! Been driving for a week now. Went to gyn yesterday, they said everything looked great. Said it seems I' m doing extremely well. That's easy for them to say. They don't have the pain and the swelly belly. Come back in 2 weeks for another check. After leaving their office I passed a blood clot. Called this a.m. and they said that was ok as long as the bleeding is slowing back down (which it did). Almost stopped again. (Third time its stopped, third time starting back again.) I'm tired of this, only reason I was looking forward to the surgery.

s to all and happy healing

TAH-uterine polyps, excessive bleeding, endo--42
Unread 07-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Hey there I am three weeks post op today and in serious pain on my left side. I don't know what is going on but it really hurts, going back to dr. on the 18th so hopefully we will get to the bottom. I am still on pain meds every 3 to 4 hours I thought my now I would be off of them and doing just fine. Hope all is well with everyone else

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register