Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 - Page 48 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Unread 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

I have left in the cupboard my leather handbag and switched to a canvas one, Birmanian-style! as a matter of fact, I bought it in Cambodge some years ago. I carry only y purse, home keys, a tissue pack. I check the weight of every bit I buy.
Reading your answers, I think I'll not drive for some days, I live in a town whenon foot or by bus you can reach everywhere. I'm retired, so I haven't the problem of when beginning work again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 12:44 PM

shellybun.....I did get the dr. to write me a note to go back when i went in for a checkup right after 2 weeks. He said i was healing rather quickly....plus work wouldn't let me come back if i didn't have one.
For all those that are still feeling bad....be careful of jerky movements. Thats what i have to be careful of tomorrow. Besides walking on trails in the morning, i've been doing light weight-lifting and lunges at night. Just have to make sure its a slow and fluid movement. My belly still swells up quite a bit after the long walks, but it eventually goes back down and i always feel 100% better while walking.
Just remember everyone...slow and easy is the key and never worry about the next person...*S*
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:36 PM

Hi All,
Today is day 29 for me. I could definately not go back to work next week. I did have a better day today. By that I mean my bowls moved, I walked 1 1/2 miles, did light chores around the house and collapsed to read my book . Now my right lower side has a dull ache. Is that normal? I think we should all go to Italy and sit by the water. Sounds marvelous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Hi ladies,

Just read and caught up on everything today.

I haven't been having a problem with my hair, nails or feet but the incisiion area is dry and for the past week I've been putting vitamin E oil on it 3-4 times a day and it is helping it quite a bit. Makes skin soft and not dry and is supposed to help the scar.

I had endo cancer too and was told am 100% free - thank God! I felt better my first 2 wks. on strength and endurance but starting somewhere in 3rd week I'm just so tired and I can't get any sleep. I wake up every 2 hours OR I go to bed sleep for 3 hours and then I'm up for 10 and then try to sleep because I'm so exhausted but can only sleep for 2 hrs.

My incision area still feels like it burns in some areas and I just don't know how you ladies are going to work or anything! Too tired, can't sleep, etc. What clothing do you wear? All of my clothing (pants and skirt suits) would hit my incision area and I can't stand for anything to touch it cause it's still tender and burns.

For the comment that the dr said looked like stitches were just put there but is healing, my cancer dr told me about the stitches there and that due to the type of sutures used they should not dissolve or go away for at least 90 days.

I'm going to get to go out for lunch tomorrow and I'll remember NOT to scoot out of the booth and hurt myself more like on of the other hystersisters did and warned us about.

Staying in the AC because it is so hot and humid out there. I only go out to walk to get to the basement rather than going up/down the stairs. Not lifting anything over 4 lbs. and I'm still not cooking. DH cooked up big meal for me and he's eating out or fixing something quick for him. Even though this is just now week 4, I'm not going to do any sweeping, mopping, etc. till time to because don't want to go back for anything either.

Everyone take it easy and go little by little. After 6-7 weeks (I requested 10 off) I'll try to go out driving, walking, doing more to build up endurance so that hopefully I can be ready for full time plus when I go back.

Is everyone with swelly belly and incision from belly buttom down to pelvic area buying new clothing to wear or what?

Still lounging in pajama tops and gowns! Elastic shorts and baggy tops when have to go out.

Take care of yoursleves.
Unread 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM

I went out for a short shopping trip with my mom, and we went to a consignment shop. I got shorts 3 sizes to big with elastic waists for $5.00 each. It was their summer sale, and even though everything is already very inexpensive, it was all 50% off. .

I also had purchased some summer dresses from Old Navy that have empire waists, so they don't touch your belly and they hide the swelly part!

If I end up having to go to work on Aug 1st, I believe I will not have a wardrobe to wear. And I still don't feel like I will be able to. I may ask my Dr. for more time.
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM

Hi everyone,
I am also somewhat worried about work. I'm supposed to return on the 6th of August and even though I'm bored that suddenly seems way too close! I have been quite a lot better this week but still have bowel issues (I'm sure the rectocele repair is causing me more problems than the hysterectomy), get completely exhausted from little things etc. I'm pretty active during the day, just pottering around, and I'm not sleeping at all during the day. I think that is helping me to sleep a lot better at night - I generally go to bed about 11:30, wake about 5:00, drift back to sleep by 6:00 and wake again by 8:00. I'll have to change these habits before I go back to work! LOL
I haven't even felt like driving yet and have only been out to the doctors once and the supermarket once, but I've had quite a few visitors to keep me in touch with the world! For someone who was always out and about this is a huge change. I figure it's probably my body forcing me to take the time to heal.
When I complained to DH about not feeling great, still being in pain etc he reminded me of how much pain I had been in pre op with period pain and excessive bleeding etc. He said "Ï remember coming home to find you curled up on the bathroom floor sobbing in pain and even though you think you look pale and awful right now I can see such a difference (for the better) in you already. You don't look like you are always in pain and ill anymore."
That made me think about what the future will hold too - no more period pain- YAY!
On reflection I've had 2 lots of surgery in one month (they did an exploratory before my hysterectomy to "see what they were dealing with") and I think we can underestimate the effects of anaesthetic as well.
For now I'm fairly happy with the progress I'm making and I'm SOO looking forward to having more energy.
Thanks for all the support from eveyone here - to hear of others having exactly the same issues males it so much more bearable!

Best wishes to you all
Helen
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Today's Update 4 1/2 weeks out

I actually am doing still better than expected...except for gaining almost 10 pounds! I better start a real exercise program soon - but it has been so hot!!

I actually drove almost 100 miles in the past two days and took dd2 to Alligator Farm and to have fun - I had to sit down after 20 minutes there and we didn't stay long. But I don't feel really bad or anything. So I guess I don't have many complaints.

When my dd's hug and squeeze me, I feel it still....a faint pain. Little trouble with gas now, I am quite regular as well. Not sure how the numbness is going down there and I'm afraid to check it out, but I guess that time will be coming soon.

Keep getting better!
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Shellybun,

Thanks for your info.

I tried to ask my doctor when she filled out FMLA if I could get 10-11 weeks and she said no one needs more than 6 weeks so no.

When her nurse or whomever filled out paperwork they put that I was medically approved for 6 wks but patient is requesting 11. I had already told them I'd be back starting Sept. 1 and that isn't when they stated - they had it for another 3 weeks.

Work approved me and I think it will be with pay but if not -- I'll have to grin and bear it till 1st cause wanna make sure can move, do extensive walking and standing and lifting/moving things and not doing lot stairs.
Unread 07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
relieved

I am relieved to read all your posts and see that you are feeling the same way I am. Today was really pretty good. I slept in til 9am, got up & showered and went out for 1.5 mile walk. I felt terrific.

When I got back, I sewed for a while and did light housework, then I laid down 3-5pm. I never seem to fall asleep during the day. I simply get so tired that I have no choice but to lie still and breath deeply.
Sigh.
I HATE TAKING "NAPS".
I just cannot sleep and it is like Chinese water torture to lay still and close my eyes

Now, I am all ballooned up, as per usual. I get the big ole swelly belly in the evenings.
I sew my own clothes and I have made myself some knit pants with elastic waist, a knit skirt with elastic waist and some strong support lycra panties. I sure am glad I can sew! Also I wear workout clothes a lot.

I am getting worried about work, too. My commute is one hour each way and I need to be able to think. My job is all about thinking and analyzing data. ACK! Not to mention I don't know what I will wear.

Well, having that wonderful feeling this morning gave me some hope.

It is hard to feel very optimistic. Obviously, this is still going to take a while.
Plus, I can just feel my hormones making me feel like Boo-Hoo, Poor Me.
Oh well!
It HAS to get better. I have been such a good girl. I have not over-done it and I have rested. When do I get my reward????
OK, Pity Party is over.
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Roxiehart~
My DR told me that I have been doing too much and that my stomach muscles are healing faster than my incisions? This is causing massivie scar tissue build up on one side. Also, the swelly belly isnt helping (like I can change that??). She said if it does not go down by 7/30, my next check up, she will keep me home for another 2 weeks...which is fine by me. I cant make it through to noon right now without becoming extremely exhausted. She didnt give me anymore medication, just said to keep taking ibuprofin...which helps a little. Oh yeah, and put a heating pad on it as much as possible, which does not seem like it is helping at all!? I hope you are feeling better soon...keep me posted.
~Tonie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register