Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 - Page 54 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Unread 07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Swelly Belly releif

Ladies,

Are you icing the swelly belly? I ice mine for about 20 minutes every night while I am lying on the couch watching TV. It helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Hi Everybody,

Tomorrow is week 5 of recovery for me. I am also exhausted, but I work from home so am able to do a few hours a day and that is it! lol I popped several stitches once the staples were out and I am happy to say that has closed and has formed a scab. I never, ever thought I would be happy about a scab! Ya just gotta laugh!

I will see by doc on Thursday to check the "split seam" and I don't know what else she will do, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I am healing, able to do more things every week and that blasted cancer is GONE! All in all, I have nothing to complain about. But is is a slow process and I think we should still all be very careful and take good care of ourselves. I can finally feel like I am ready to move forward; a good feeling!

I had the visiting nurses assoc in my area come to my house when the stitches opened, and my nurse gave me excellent care, and I am so blessed to have been able to have them come.

I wish you all well!
Barb
Unread 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM

I begin feeling better, I can sleep on on side, this morning I made some clipping of the shrubs in my little garden . The belly is still irregulary swollen and the scar is itching. There is also a little watery discharge, the gyn said it's normal and it will go on for a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM

<sigh> I had my 4˝-week follow-up appointment today. The exam wasn't so bad - just the doctor pressing around my swollen gut had me wincing a bit. My recovery has been coming along very well - no major setbacks, no notable problems. However, like many of you, I've been battling insomnia, fatigue, discomfort and exhaustion (not to mention I've been getting headaches with more frequency). My doctor wanted to release me back to work on Aug. 2nd, but I pushed for at least Aug. 6th. I doubt I'll even be ready then. I tried asking my doctor for an additional two weeks, but she wouldn't budge (she seemed to be having a bad day and I was on the receiving end) and was being, well, quite rude about it. Again, I don't feel I'll be ready to resume normal activities, work or otherwise, by even Aug. 6th - not being able to sleep, experiencing discomfort and being fatigued and exhausted are not "normal" and are not conducive to resuming "normal" activities. I'm going to talk to my employer and request additional time off, doctor-ordered or not, because like we all keep saying, I have to listen to my body and do what feels right for me. If I'm pushing myself beyond my limits and I know my body is still healing internally, am I really doing myself any favors?

Anyway, I felt really bothered and upset by my doctor's unwillingness to hear me out and by the way I felt ushered out of her office. It felt as though her work with me was done...so be gone, woman! I wasn't given the chance to ask any questions, gain any additional clarification, and I was made to feel guilty by the nurse/receptionist for writing a check for my visit's co-pay today altho there is NOTHING posted about paying them by personal check. Trust me, had I been made to feel this way BEFORE the surgery, I would have sought out a different OB/GYN.

So, anyway, I'm feeling emotionally beat-up by my doctor and her personality-lacking nurse/receptionist, and I'm feeling nervous and scared about having to go back to work knowing full well my body is saying it isn't ready. I've read that others feel the same way, so for what it's worth, at least I'm in good company.
Unread 07-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Cheryl,

I am sorry that your doctor and her staff are so rude. It doesn't matter if her or her whole staff are having a bad day, you are paying them for their services and you are guaranteed satisfactory results. I think that her taking the time to answer your questions is very important and you should be allowed those answers. Once you get some energy I suggest you call and demand a re-visit (free of charge of course) with someone qualified to answer your questions. This whole thing is scary and you deserve the answers you want/need.

I too am feeling like an alien sucked all of the energy out of me. That is so weird, especially since it seemed like we were all starting to get some energy back for a few days there. Now that I am 5 weeks out I feel like I can (and should) do a few more things around the house but I either hurt myself or I am just too tired to attempt it. It has been rainy here so I just thought it was the weather but you guys are feeling it too so it isn't just me. Whew!

I went 3 days where my swelly belly was almost back to normal but now it is right back up again. I am so tired of wearing the same two pairs of pants!

Do you guys know if the doc does an internal exam on the 6 week check? That does not sound like anything I want done next week!

Hang in there everyone, at least we are all in the same boat together and can be here for each other.
Unread 07-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Ack, Cheryl, you had a rotten day at the doctor's office. I don't blame you for being so disgusted. I do not understand why a doctor would begrudge any hysterectomy patient another couple of weeks. 8 weeks is so reasonable!

I also feel lazy like the rest of you have mentioned. I suspect it is really fatigue, not genuine laziness. But I know it comes across like lazy.
I do a fair amount of light housework and I get out for a long walk every day. But I have stopped wearing makeup and I am not doing my hair. Why waste the energy, you know? I can only do so much.

I think I was getting frantic about going back to work when I expected myself to go back with a flat stomach and a big radiant smile on my face and a perky attitude.
I have given up on that.
Frankly, I am not going to paint my cheeks rosy. Let them see the circles under my eyes.

And I am not going to extend my medical leave. I'd rather leave early every day. I have a vacation planned 8/20 - 8/24 that I set up before I knew about the hysterectomy. I don't want to lose that. My daughter is coming home after spending a whole year abroad and I really need to be home with her.

So I'll short-change my job before I sacrifice my week off in August with her.

The worst is BEHIND US. It is not easy and we're not 100% yet, but the we won't have another month as hard as the one we just finished!!
Unread 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Well said Pepperoni!
Unread 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibies1
Blue-moon rose....."We only made it to the 120's twice this year. " Only???? *L*
Yep -- only! : -) There have been years when we have stayed in the 120s for a few weeks.
Unread 07-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Pepperoni -- perfectly said!

Cheryl -- aack! That is horrible! They shouldn't have treated you like that no matter how bad a day they were having. I agree with North49 -- I would call back and see if I can get a free do over. And I would insist on more time -- you know your body, they should listen and understand even if they don't agree!!

North49 -- from everything that I have read around here ... at the 6 weeks check-up it is standard to do an internall exam. Rarely has someone got to skip this part of the exam.
Unread 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM

FINALLY!!!

I am at 4.5 weeks now and I am finally in that 2 steps forward one step back mode. I went out to dinner and went to look at some model homes on Sunday afternoon. Yesterday, since it was nice I went for a walk with the boys and prior to that ran errands. It felt so great to be human again and out of bed. I even did a little housework.

This morning I did well and then suddenly about an hour later I ran out of steam. What is up with that???? How can you be doing so well and then nada ... everything falls apart around you? I am so tired now. Not really in pain just so exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open and I have no sitter today. So its just me, 3 boys, and no resting. I am not sure how this is going to go at all. Plus when dh gets home I need to go grocerry shopping. UGH!

Well... at least its getting better. Tomorrow I can rest and then I should feel great for a few days. Anyone know how long until I will be me again?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register