Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 - Page 98 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Unread 02-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Happy February

I am so glad everone is still keeping in touch.

Desiree, I have thought of you often and wondered how you were doing with school,work,kids etc.

I can completely relate to the swelly belly and numb feeling. I still have it too. :] I work as a cashier and every time my drawer opens and smacks me in my tummy I am surprised, because I didn't know I was standing so close.

I hope every one is doing better, and keeps us posted on your recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 18-Jun 25,2007

Anybody experiencing their scar itching like crazy but no amount of scratching gets rid of it because the area is still numb?? OMG. My scar will itch to the point of making me crazy, but despite my best efforts, the scratching doesn't help. It's like the itching is occurring under the numb layers (it probably is, I'd imagine). My solution has been to rub cortisone cream over my scar, and it really seems to help. It's one of a handful of reminders that there's still healing going on even this long after the surgery.

A few weeks ago, my entire family came down with the flu - me, hubby, and our three kids. Everyone spent about 2˝ days feverish and miserable, but pulled out of it around the 3rd or 4th day with little more than minor residual cold symptoms. I, on the other hand, felt affected for over a week, and my residual cold symptoms (i.e., coughing, fatigue, congestion, etc.) for about 2 weeks. Part of me wondered if it was because I was caring for all these sick people and constantly subjecting myself to more flu virus, but a bigger part of me wondered if it's that my body is still recovering from my hysterectomy (the itching suggests that) and that my immune system is still somewhat compromised.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Has anyone found it takes them longer to bounce back from colds, the flu, etc. post-surgery? I wanted to ask because when I suggested the possibility of my immune system being weakened hence the reason it was taking me longer to get over things, I had a few people chuckle at me and think I was milking the situation.

Anyway, I am frequently reminded that healing is still taking place - the numbness, the itchy scar, the occasional mild cramping, the "electrical" twinges, etc. Am I out of my mind and alone on this matter? I'd love to hear your responses. Thanks, sisters!
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Cheryl,
No you are not alone or out of your mind, I still feel weird things too that suggest I am still healing. My doc said that my ph is different and my internal stitches are still present and I am healing very slow. She didn't expect me to be fully healed until the 1 year mark. I still feel those darn "zingers", I too have that annoying numb yet itchy scar and I still get tired faster than I used to. One other thing that I have noticed is that when I pick up something heavy, twice now I have felt a stitch somewhere inside me pop. It is a real sharp pain then almost immediately I get exhausted tired and I have sharp pulsing pains that last about an hour to an hour and a half. Like I said, that has only happened twice and I don't know if it is because my stitches are just starting to dissolve and have weakened but either way it feels bad. It is so strange how my body reacts by getting so tired so fast. By the next day I'm usually fine though so that has to be a good sign that I'm moving along.
People can snicker and think what they want but obviously there are some of us who are still healing and also obviously it isn't in our heads or we would be the only one still posting here!
Take care everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 10:55 PM

Hey ladies,
I also have the same issues, the numbing, the twinges and the deep aches that freak me out and fear that I will have to "go back." I have also noticed the recovery from the flu took forever... I think I was really bad for 4-5 days and then it hung on for another 3 weeks. My hubby and son both had it about 2-3 days

I think the worst is the insomnia. DO others have this problem? I think this is stalling my healing, after work I come home and crash. But by that I mean lie on the couch exhausted. And it night I watch the clock tick.

I am trying to be motivated but just to tired.
Kathleen
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I also have trouble falling asleep at night as well as staying asleep. I feel tired all throughout the day as a result. Like I need any help being or feeling lazy. When I lay my head down, my head just aches...like my pillow is the enemy or something.

I have never seen an internal stitch pass, or anything that would suggest they've dissolved or vacated the premises, and I often wonder if they're still there. My doctor hasn't requested any follow-up visits with me since my 6-8 week check-up, and trust me, I'm not volunteering to go back unless required of me. My doctor's about as gentle as airport security! lol.

Getting over the flu was a real bear! Like you, everyone got over it within 2-3 days - my fever alone ran for four days and the flu in general kicked my fanny for much longer. Like I said, when I mentioned to my boss that maybe it was taking longer for me to recover because my body is still healing, he jokingly implied I was making it up.

I guess people just "forget" and don't realize the true magnitude of what we've gone through, and if you remind them, you're an attention-seeking drama-queen. Can't win for losing, eh?
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:57 AM

Well ladies,

I have the results from my biopsy and turns out that I have Stage 1 breast cancer. Right now I am in shock and all cried out. Dolphin 1173 please go to another doctor and get another opinion. I actually thought that my bad times were over in 2007 but now 2008 seems worse.

So sorry to be a downer.
ARC369
Unread 02-15-2008, 05:31 AM

Arc369, So Sorry Hang In There. That Should Be The Best Time To Have Caught It. Have A Freind In Stage Four And Spreading 8 Yrs. Ago And Still Going Strong And A Single Mom Of A Teenager. She Worried But Kept A Good Attitude And Is Doing Great Now, Got It Back In About A Yr. Worse And Now Doing So Well And Testing Cancer Free. Will Be Thinking Of You. Good Luck!!!
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC369
Well ladies,

I have the results from my biopsy and turns out that I have Stage 1 breast cancer. Right now I am in shock and all cried out. Dolphin 1173 please go to another doctor and get another opinion. I actually thought that my bad times were over in 2007 but now 2008 seems worse.

So sorry to be a downer.
ARC369
ARC369, I'm really sorry to hear this news; however, like one other has written, if there's any bright spot in all this, it's that it was caught early - early detection is crucial to beating it.

I wish you all the best and have faith you will beat this and fully recover! God bless!
Unread 03-05-2008, 04:38 PM

To ARC369 - I am sorry to hear this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. After reading this, I will definately make an appointment for my mammogram. This is the third script that I have had written for me. With all that's been going on I keep ignoring it and it's been 3 years since my last.

My update is that I am headed back to the castle on 4/15. I have been having ongoing gastro problems since my surgery. I have under gone every test they could think of so now they are doing laporoscopic exploratory surgery to look at the gallbladder and appendix and they will be taking the appendix out while they are there because they are not sure which is causing the problem and they said they might as well take the appendix since I don't need it anyway. Alrighty then. I assumed since it was laporoscopic that I would be up and running in no time as opposed to the TAH/BSO. I got quite a surprise when they told me it was 2-4 weeks for recovery. No work for at least 2 weeks. Would love to hear from any of your that had a LAH to hear how long your recovery took.

I did switch from Premarin to the Vivelle Dot patch. That seemed to go well.

That's my update. ** hum............here we go again.
Unread 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Glad we're all still checking in - haven't been here for a while, winter is the hardest time of year for me - still struggling with insomnia and hot flashes at night - now seems I have a lovely rectocele - not sure what the course of treatment for that is going to yet - see the surgeon again in 6 weeks for another follow up pap to be sure we got all the cancer, and we'll talk about it then.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register