Just received all my pre-op paperwork | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just received all my pre-op paperwork Just received all my pre-op paperwork

Unread 06-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Just received all my pre-op paperwork

And I am even more overwhelmed then I imagined..almost to the point of cx the surgery!

There is sooo much I have to go through- so many more visits to the hospital, more labs, more paper work, more prescriptions to fill
- It's a living hell when I have a household to run with 4 very small children, a teen, and just the daily hooplah!

Crimony - I don't need all this frustration- My life is so hectic as it is!

UUUGGHHH please just talk to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Tracy,
My goodness...what all do you have to get done at the hospital pre-op? I don't schedule my surgery until next week so I don't know..much...but I'm here for you if you want to vent..
Unread 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM

Tracy --

I understand all the hair pulling. I have had the same feelings but now that I am less than 24 hrs away ... I am so happy that I am going through with this.

Yes -- more dr appts now ... a lot less of them later. You will be a better mom later as you won't have to deal with the pain, insomnia, bleeding, etc, etc...

Yes -- there is more lab work. Just think ... this is the end of the lab work. After this they will leave you alone!

Yes -- more paperwork but again this is the end of the paperwork. After this you are done.

Yes -- to more Rxs. Those are to make sure you are adequately prepared for surgery. Just think of this as a replacement to all the pain pills you are now taking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The best thing for me was to plan and plan well what would happen after surgery. Who is cleaning for you? Who is going to do the cooking? Who is taking care of the kids? Who is taking care of you? Who is grocery shopping? Who is running the kids to planned activities? Who is on call in case you need something?

Once I had the answers to these questions ... I felt much better and was able to look forward to my surgery somewhat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2007, 01:03 PM

For me

Paperwork -- there was the insurance pre-auth forms to sign and submit, the hospital registration forms, forms for my second and third opinion, forms for my drs offices acknowledging that I understood everything. Oh ... and lets not forget forms for previous records at hospitals, my current dr office, and past dr offices.

Labs -- EKG, Lung X-ray, original blood work, original pap, original MRI, original ultrasound (all the original stuff got me my diagnosis in the first place), blood and urine tests 1 week prior and 48 hrs prior to surgery.

Hospital visits -- for me there was only 2. The rest were taken care of elsewhere.

Prescriptions -- 2 pain meds prior to pre-op starting. 4 for bowel prep day and 1 over the counter one for bowel prep day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shereeangel
Tracy,
My goodness...what all do you have to get done at the hospital pre-op? I don't schedule my surgery until next week so I don't know..much...but I'm here for you if you want to vent..
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-moon rose

The best thing for me was to plan and plan well what would happen after surgery. Who is cleaning for you? Who is going to do the cooking? Who is taking care of the kids? Who is taking care of you? Who is grocery shopping? Who is running the kids to planned activities? Who is on call in case you need something?

Once I had the answers to these questions ... I felt much better and was able to look forward to my surgery somewhat.
I guess that is an underlying issue.... we are looking into daycare for the little ones but outside of that NOTHING has been discussed- just assumed that dh and my teen son will step up to the plate

I have to schedule a pre-op INTERVIEW...what the heck is that???

Then I have to schedule labs and registration,

Then I have to schedule pre-anestesia testing ??? I have never heard of such???

Get all my rx filled...which will cost a small fortune on top of daycare for 6 weeks and we MUST pay our 10% of the cost of surgery BEFORE surgery!

I need to figure out who will care for my children the day I go in for surgery..
Just so much STUFF and I totally feel unprepared now whereas not knowing all this I was okay and ready to get this done and over.

keep talking to me- I NEED to get this out and I have NO ONE to talk to about it-
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Labs -- EKG, Lung X-ray, original blood work, original pap, original MRI, original ultrasound (all the original stuff got me my diagnosis in the first place), blood and urine tests 1 week prior and 48 hrs prior to surgery.
You mean you had to go through all of that AGAIN before surgery- cause I swear if I have to have another pap- I'm cx and will live like this forever.

And I hope like hell they don't need all my original papers because I have lived in 3 states and wouldn't even know where to begin- I have lost numbers and what have you- and that would truly add to my state of being right now- As I type my preschoolers are wrecking havoc...they are driving me insane and I can't think straight!

Anytime I have to use the phone I have to go into the garage because they are so loud (vaulted ceilings ECHO) I can't hear.

Please tell me they informed you way in advance you needed all this paperwork..because NO has mentioned it to me
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:21 PM

I am assuming your dh is going to be at work during the day. BUT if your teenage son can handle the little ones then you won't have to worry about daycare. I have been blessed by having some friends at church take mine while dh is at work. That leaves me home alone.

Pre-op Interview is where they discuss the pros and cons of surgery. Make sure you know what they are going to do, why they are going to do it, that you understand the risks involved, and make sure that this is really what you want to do.

Pre-anthestia testing is to make sure you aren't allergic to anything that they will be using. If you haven't had surgery before this is required.

Make sure you have someone to take care of the kids for 6-8 weeks. I have heard many women say they were released after 6 weeks but just didn't feel up to handling anything until 8.

Prep and freeze meals in advance while you wait. This way you will have something to eat afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmadatmike
I guess that is an underlying issue.... we are looking into daycare for the little ones but outside of that NOTHING has been discussed- just assumed that dh and my teen son will step up to the plate

I have to schedule a pre-op INTERVIEW...what the heck is that???

Then I have to schedule labs and registration,

Then I have to schedule pre-anestesia testing ??? I have never heard of such???

Get all my rx filled...which will cost a small fortune on top of daycare for 6 weeks and we MUST pay our 10% of the cost of surgery BEFORE surgery!

I need to figure out who will care for my children the day I go in for surgery..
Just so much STUFF and I totally feel unprepared now whereas not knowing all this I was okay and ready to get this done and over.

keep talking to me- I NEED to get this out and I have NO ONE to talk to about it-
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:30 PM

I avoided my yearly exam for an additional 6 months. I knew I was having issues so I avoided it. I finally went in for my pap and bloodwork. It came back as I expected. From there I was sent to have a U/S. After that an MRI. Saw my second opinion. Then a third. Then blood work. The pre-op interview. Then bloodwork and urine 1 week prior to surgery then 48 hrs prior to surgery.

In my pre-op interview they asked me to get previous surgical records from the drs and hospitals who did the procedures. Luckily mine are all local BUT only 1 of the 4 surgeries I had ... the hospital still had records. The doctors store their records with the hospitals so I couldn't get them from them either. The one surgery I had info on was old and did not help as only the most recent would have helped the most. So ... they are going in blind. The will explore what needs to be done then. When I come out I will know what will have happened. I have a "what we would like to do scenario" and a "worst case scenario" of what will happen in the hospital for information.

I understand completely about preschoolers destroying the house! My have totaled the carpet during all of this. I went out to buy a area rug to cover up the bright pink fruit juice stain on the carpet where the boys tried to swim in punch ... on my light blue/grayish carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmadatmike
You mean you had to go through all of that AGAIN before surgery- cause I swear if I have to have another pap- I'm cx and will live like this forever.

And I hope like hell they don't need all my original papers because I have lived in 3 states and wouldn't even know where to begin- I have lost numbers and what have you- and that would truly add to my state of being right now- As I type my preschoolers are wrecking havoc...they are driving me insane and I can't think straight!

Anytime I have to use the phone I have to go into the garage because they are so loud (vaulted ceilings ECHO) I can't hear.

Please tell me they informed you way in advance you needed all this paperwork..because NO has mentioned it to me
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I am assuming your dh is going to be at work during the day. BUT if your teenage son can handle the little ones then you won't have to worry about daycare. I have been blessed by having some friends at church take mine while dh is at work. That leaves me home alone.
OOOOH no- my teen son would never be able to handle all three of theses little monsters all day long- I can barley handle it- That is WAY too much to ask of a teen boy. Plus he will be going back to school in mid Aug.

Quote:
Pre-op Interview is where they discuss the pros and cons of surgery. Make sure you know what they are going to do, why they are going to do it, that you understand the risks involved, and make sure that this is really what you want to do.
I just had a separate appt with my Dr going over all this why do I have to do it again at the hospital?? I mean really- this overkill IMHO.

Quote:
Pre-anesthetic testing is to make sure you aren't allergic to anything that they will be using. If you haven't had surgery before this is required.
I have had 3 other surgeries with anesthesia so I shouldn't have to make this appt then????-right?
Guess I will find out when I cal -eh.
  Quote:
Make sure you have someone to take care of the kids for 6-8 weeks. I have heard many women say they were released after 6 weeks but just didn't feel up to handling anything until 8.
LOL not really funny..I have no one and we are having to extend a loan for daycare expenses- I really hope I recovery quickly as 6 weeks is all I get

Quote:
Prep and freeze meals in advance while you wait. This way you will have something to eat afterwards.
Now that is funny- I barely have time to prepare dinner these day...I just have been buying extra at Sam's club all ready prepared meals that my teen can pop into the oven.
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Planning

Tracy ---

When I found out I had to have all of this stuff done. I freaked out as well. Then I went into planning mode. I sat down and looked at all the things that I do and all the things I wouldn't be able to do and had to figure out who could be me when I couldn't. It takes a lot of people to replace me. I was told no driving and no lifting over 2 lbs for 6 weeks. No house work either. So that means pretty much nothing!

I went into word and printed out 2 sets of weekly schedules. From the week before pre-op through 8 weeks post-op. One set is the master schedule, the second is my medicine schedule. Ignore the second one for now ... that is mainly for dh and others who take care of me after surgery to know what I had and when.

At the top -- I listed any special holidays and I highlighted my surgical date. I also highlighted the day I am free to be me again. Mine has times on the schedule and then underneath it is a space with nothing. I extended the columns and added "Where the kids go" in the margin. God blessed me as right when I was freaking out about what to do with the kids a friend called and said she would take them for all 8 weeks. Yippee!! She is actually only getting them Tues-Fri. I have another friend who is taking them on Mondays (we already have a date to go to the movies with her every monday). A third friend is backup for the weekends when dh has to work or needs to spend more time with me. For the day of/weekend of surgery ... my brother in law (who is more like my stepson... after all he did live with us for 5 years!) will be staying with the boys.

Next came food. In the 5 pm time slot -- I have the name of who is bringing food, where I know them from, and contact information. I also wrote down what they are bringing if I know. I have another friend who is a chef. He is cooking 3 times a week for me (in exchange for his house being painted) and doing the grocery shopping each monday. Church is picking up dinners twice a week and dh has the weekends. He will be bbqing as that is all he knows. That or take out.

Then the yard ... don't want a letter from the HOA when I can't do nothing about it. For father's day ... I hired a landscaper to handle things while I am out.

Cleaning the house -- church once again offered to have someone come in once a week. They clean every mon at 10. Perfect after the kids spent the week destroying the house.

Dh will handle all boy activities after 6 pm. All activities prior to that time have been canceled. Baby's bday presents were given to him yesterday and we will have cake on his bday. No party this year.

I got my van maintenance done prior to surgery inorder that it would get done before my warranty was compromised. I re-scheduled any appts I had to 9 weeks post-op or later.

I think that is all. I will have to think and see what else I did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register