Anyone have good luck with HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have good luck with HRT? Anyone have good luck with HRT?

Unread 06-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Anyone have good luck with HRT?

I am 44 and 8 weeks post op. I was doing fine for a while. But now the once in a while hot flashes are starting to come all the time. I've been really moody with everyone and I sometimes snap at people when I don't mean to. I have a difficult time sleeping and I feel tired after all this time being post op. So, I've been giving HRT some thought. Now that it's summer, the hot flashes are worse than ever. Can HRT really help? I hear so much controversy over it. How long does it take to work? How do you know what type of HRT to start with? I was having regular periods before my hysterectomy. While my incision has healed well, I also have panic attacks and going through menopause is making them worse. I do take medication for the panic attacks and depression, but it doesn't do much of a job with hot flashes and I'm tired of the mood swings. I snap at everyone and I just can't help it. My sister had a hyst years ago and she said that HRT really didn't help her. So I'm wondering if it really does help. And I know there are several different types. How do you know what type? Bio-identical or synthetic? Patch or pill? Help is greatly appreciated. I even have problems with concentration that I didn't have before, and my muscles seem to ache since the surgery. I dont know if that is just because I'm recovering or lack of hormones. So I could really use some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Hi!

HRT helps a lot of women so I wouldn't be too concerned if you happen to know a person or two who weren't helped by it. Perhaps your sister didn't find the right dose, method of delivery or combination of hormones to feel better. It's not a one size fits all thing, unfortunately.

There's a lot of good information for you to read which may help you decide if you want to start hormone therapy or not. Here is a link to one very good starting place: Hormone Article List. There's plenty more information in the Resource Database.

My personal preference is to use transdermal bio-identical hormones. I don't like to take any more pills than necessary. I'm currently using Vivelle Dot for my estrogen and I'm very pleased with it.

If you decide you want to use estrogen, then decide which type you want to use and discuss the options with your doctor. Usually a middle dose (0.05 with either Vivelle Dot or Climara, for examples) is a good starting point. You can work upward, if needed, giving each change a fair amount of time to work before considering another change.

Only you can decide if the benefits of using hormones will outweigh any possible side effects. Good luck with your research! Let us know what you decide, okay?

s
Unread 06-24-2007, 10:19 PM

i started meopause early at 41 and just had hyst at age 52. i had been put on estradiol hrt 1mg a daywith the other medication that you have to be put on when you have a uterus at 42 (stopped taking the other after hyst). seemed to have stopped right away like within days. i had the symtoms bad back then,. horrible night sweats, sleeping problems like waking up every 2 hours, "anxiety attacks and depression which i learned was the first sign of menopause". i have been on antideppressants since my early 20's and thought maybe my medication wasn't working any more. but that wasn't it. it was menopause. i've been having some hot flashes and day sweats since surgery and they seem to be every day now. i still sleep ok and no night sweats thank goodness. i've scared my co-workers again with my moods. i'm going to the doc on tuesday to see if i need an increase or a change, i'm going to stay on hrt. i did not have any side effects since i've been on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2007, 04:13 AM

I have a very hard time sleeping, like you do. When I wake up in the morning I'm so tired I have to drag myself around all day to get things done. The night sweats have set in. My sheets are always soaked now. Not to mention the hot flashes and moodiness. I didn't go through menopause when I had my hysterectomy. I was still having regular periods. I'm 45 now and I was hoping menopause would come before I had the surgery, so the surgical menopause wouldn't seem so bad. But no such luck. I also have been taking antidepressants for the last 20 plus years and I thought the same thing. That they weren't working anymore and I either needed to increase the dose or change antidepressants. But now I know these are symptoms of menopause and I plan on taking something for it. I'll call my dr. this week. There is no sense suffering with these symptoms if I don't have to.
Unread 06-25-2007, 06:19 AM

Good morning
I am on estradiol patch that I change once a week and I have not experienced any night sweats or hot flashes. I just am not able to sleep very well at night because my lower back from hip across to other hip hurts so bad it wakes me up and I am in PAIN.
I do like the patch.
Talk to you doc and see what he/she may suggest.
Lori
Unread 06-25-2007, 06:48 AM

Luvs2Quilt
Taking hrt becomes a quality of life issue. If your symptoms interfere with your life (like . . .soaked sheets, insomnia, snapping loved one's heads off!, depression worsens) that's a clue you need to do something!
I felt just like you.... I thought I wouldn't need hrt but it has been a life saver for me. Balancing the hrt has been difficult but I feel soooo much better with hrt then without it.

You are right . . . . why suffer?! I realized I wasn't the only one suffering . .my family was suffering as well.

Good Luck on your HRT journey!
Unread 06-25-2007, 07:48 AM

As prettyanxious said, if your symptoms interfere with your life, it's time to do something!

I really thought I would be able to deal with no ovaries without HRT or be able to supplement through herbal or other dietary methods. I was so wrong, and I was just so physically sick, and mentally exhausted.
The Vivelle dot helped so amazingly well, very quickly. However the symptoms of estrogen dominance started within a month.
Now I am feeling energetic again with the bio-ident compounds I am using and adding progesterone really turned things around for me. I changed to Bi-estrogen and its working really well for me, like the Dot did, but I am less bloated . It's going to take another couple months to see if this combination works, but the main thing , is that I can LIVE with this plan so far. Not just exist day to day dealing with symptoms of this and that which make me want to stay in bed all day. The horrible insomnia is improving finally, too.
And no, I don't feel perfect. But the severity of really buggin' symptoms is lessened, and some completely gone now. Maybe it's the best we can aim for, I don't know.

AprilDawn posted the best links above! You will find balance, too!! Hang in there. It just takes some time and a good Dr. that knows how to listen to you!

Robbi
Unread 06-25-2007, 06:16 PM

luvs2quilt
for the night sweats, the nurse had me sleep on a beach towel, but big bath towels work as well. something about sweating on it kept me from changing the sheets in the middle of the night. and keep one foot (no sock) out of any covers like away from the bed flapping in the night air. that is the best that i learned for staying cooler during the nights before i went on hrt.
Unread 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM

I take the lowest dose that keep my hot flashes away and moods in check. I am still using the vivelle dot .05 patch. The only thing I do not like is some water weight gain, but healthy diet and exercise keep this down pretty much. I am happier with the slight weight gain with it, than suffering from hot flashes and mood issues.

s
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofjohn
luvs2quilt
for the night sweats, the nurse had me sleep on a beach towel, but big bath towels work as well. something about sweating on it kept me from changing the sheets in the middle of the night. and keep one foot (no sock) out of any covers like away from the bed flapping in the night air. that is the best that i learned for staying cooler during the nights before i went on hrt.
I will try that. Thanks so much for the tip.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register