Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 21 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 07-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Dee, we have so much in common. I teach middle school math also and my skin has been perfect since the surgery. I was thinking it was the antibiotics though. It might be since one I am on is tetracycline, but wouldn't it be lovely if a side effect of my surgery was to finally get "grown up" skin?

I am a big reader too. I have gone through so many books in the last week. It will be great to get the new Harry Potter. The movie is playing here at the drive in, so I think we will try to see it that way, so I can wear my jamies!

Biffditto, make sure you don't have a fever by checking your temp at three different times of day. When my post op infection started I only had fevers in the late evening (9 or 10 PM they'd start). I did NOT have a fever when I went in to the doctor, and I went in three times while the infection was developing. Make sure you are using a digital thermometer. Write down the times and reading for two days and if anything looks odd, fax it to your doctor and follow up with a phone call. If you do not have a fever, you probably don't have an infection, but really make sure. Post op infections can be very dangerous and catching them early is the key to easy recovery.

Ashley, I too felt super great yesterday. I went for a pedicure (total heaven) and then went to the grocery store for 2 hours! Went I got home I was dragging, so I read a book in bed for two more hours and then perked up and went to go look at a house with dh. Then came home and made dinner. No bleeding, but I have not had discharge of any kind for weeks, I think it has something to do with not having a cuff (my dr. left it open) but I could see how all that activity would cause bleeding. I wouldn't worry as long as it is light. I slept like a log for the first time in five days.

So, 16 days post op and my breasts are sore. By my calculations I am 24 days out from the date my last period was due (but didn't come due to ablation) so it is a little early, but welcome I guess. It means things are working. Or maybe we are all getting sore breasts 16 days out because the surgery reset everything? Hmmm...

Happy Sunday,

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2007, 11:31 AM

15 days post op.

Slept okay (okay, not great) for the first time in a long time. No sweats, no chills, no lying awake listening to DH snore. So, I guess that is a step in the right direction. Rest, sleep, is so important.

However, woke up today wondering if I did the right thing. This is so major (hysterectomy) and I wonder if I "wimped" out. I know that bleeding for 3 months straight and suffering with pain is not any way to live. But I'm just so scared this is going to open up a whole new set of problems. Does anyone else doubt themselves to the point of crying over the loss of your uterus?

Emotionally, obviously, I'm still a mess. I'm not sure if its the Provera shot I had to stop the bleeding (didnt work) which will be in my system for atleast another month, or the Lupron shot I had to stop the bleeding (didnt work) which will be in my system for another few weeks. Both are known to cause mood swings, depression. Also, seeing as Lupron shuts down the ovaries, I guess I'm in a position of menopause for the next few weeks. Would this affect my mood so drastically? So, as you can tell, I'm a worrier...

Physically, I feel okay. Still sore in the belly area. More sore at night for sure. Swelly belly is getting annoying. When will it go away?

Bored too. Feel sad for my little boys who are used to having the time of their lives in the summer. So much to do around Toronto in the summer, and they are pretty much limited to nature walks with my parents, geocaching (i'm not even sure what that is???) with my brother in law, swimming lessons, a few trips to Toys R Us to bribe their happiness with new toys. My sister will take them to Wonderland this week. Thank goodness for family! Hopefully we can get to the cottage in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll be up to it by then. I know they understand, but they are still bored. Join the club...

Still worried about menopause in five years or so, should my ovaries only last that long...

Well, thats my update for today.

I hope you are all doing "better" being about two to three weeks post op.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Despina
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:48 AM
2 steps forward 3 steps back

I felt so good yesterday. I did all the animal chores early in the morning and then drove up to Macy's big flop of a sale. Only thing I saw was a purse and wallet by Fossil I wanted but of course that wasn't on sale. I left empty handed. I felt very strange being "out in public" by myself. Weird!

I came home, got the laundry going and without straining myself, clipped some over growth along the property line with pruning shears. When it got too hot for me, I came in and cooked up a fish fry lunch for everyone, cleaned up from that and finished the laundry.

Around 2ish in the afternoon I felt like someone pulled the plug out of me. What is this instant exhaustion? I am seeing that others are experiencing it as well. Is it the hormone shock?

The rest of the day was fairly quieter, puttered about the house and so on. Last night was hell. I could not stay asleep to save myself. At one point I woke up with the chills and shaking. Thermometer said 96.4 so I don't know if my body is weirding out or my thermometer is dysfunctional. Took some ibuprofen and tried to sleep the rest of the morning.

Today I have felt like kaakaa. Nauseated, groggy, and blah. I'm shuffling along, cleaned our bathroom, doing small stuff but the whole time, the sides of my pelvic area still hurt where my ovaries used to be.

Is this how it's going to be? One good day then fall on my face the next?

I continue to have problems with regular bms, I wish I had never laid eyes on those stool softeners. I never had a problem prior to surgery and those things. I used to go twice, sometimes three times a day. Now I'm reduced to one prayed for movement in the morning and then spend the rest of the day feeling gassy, bloated and icky.

I'm mad that because I depend on military insurance, my first post op visit was scheduled for three weeks post op. Nothing available sooner. So I've been winging this stuff and the appointment I do have is with an intern, not even the doctor that did my surgery.

Gee, can you tell I'm frustrated and grumpy today? *LOL*

Like some of the others here, I'm pretty much over this. I'm sick of feeling like crap and trying to reason myself through it. I want to feel better, NOW!

Anyone else loosing it? Grrrrr.... :burning:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2007, 11:54 AM

I can relate dscoochie. I didn't mention it in my post, felt foolish, but I too questioned myself sitting on the steps this morning over coffee, "did I do the right thing?" It's a ridiculous question because medically, there were no options left, but as you can tell from my post, I'm getting upset about how icky I feel more often than I feel better.
Unread 07-15-2007, 12:39 PM

I do find myself looking at people now, thinking, "Does she have her uterus?" It bothers me in an irrational way that some people can avoid all of these problems and have a healthy reproductive system their whole lives whereas others like us get the short end of the stick. I know I did the right thing given my circumstance, but my circumstance being so awful is what gets me. Sometimes the "why" part just gets to me.
Unread 07-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Like Sidonie and Despina, I'm tired of being tired.

As far as regretting my surgery, I don't. I was resisting my surgery up to the very end, mainly because I wasn't suffering severe problems like many of you. I'm 51 and was perimenopause (three times I went for 6 months without a period, then would have 2 or 3 semi-regular periods and then nothing for months). My problem was that my fibroids should have been shrinking when instead they were growing. The doctors (two of them, I got a second opinion) and my mother insisted I had to have the surgery. I'm a teacher, so I got to pick the summer (the most convenient time) to have the surgery. Just the same, I questioned the need for the surgery until I saw my pathology report. I was a mess with fibroids, extensive endometriosis, adenomyosis, enlarged uterus, cyst on one of my ovaries, and some pre-cancer cells. Since I saw the path report, I haven't doubted my decision. It was actually reassuring to learn how much I needed this surgery.

Nancy
TAH/BSO
Unread 07-15-2007, 02:15 PM

I also had TAH/BSO mainly for fibroids as my uterus and overies still looked good. I could have had just the fibroids removed and had a much quicker recovery (2 wks. vs. 6) but at my age, 56, the surgeon thought it was best to take everything. I have mixed emotions. I think if anything had been left in, I'd be questioning that also. I'm not all that tired anymore, but my incison split open on day 3 and it's still sore. Did anyone else have their staples removed on day 2? I thought that was way too early when they did it, but as I was not educated about that part of post-op I didn't say anything.
Unread 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Hi Kim-
Thanks for the response. I spiked 99.3 temp around 5 pm tonite for first time since this all started yesterday and took tylenol-was told by Dr on call that if it is infection than fever will break thru-and to call my gyn back tomorrow if i have fever. Will check temp in a few hours again. this all started yesterday when the Irritable Bowel Syndrome started again only this time with the....chills, cold sweats, diarrhea. Then I have hours of being ok. I finally got the gas out and emptied my bowels completely and the abdominal and incision pain are gone. I am taking questran to slow down the bile,(had gall bladder removed few yrs ago). I am able to hold down rice and crackers and juice and it didnt run thru this time. I actually feel better regarding the surgical discomfort since I "emptied out" so much. I am praying I dont have an infection. I am drug sensitive and the hospital was a nightmare.
Unread 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM

I think I've read elsewhere here that it is common to hit a "slump" between week 2 and 3 and I bet that is what we are experiencing. It probably comes from starting to feel better and then doing too much, so getting a setback, plus the initial 'shock' of going through this is wearing off, emotionally as well as physically. I am THRILLED that I did this, but also sad that I couldn't be "normal" and not need it, and jealous of people who don't. I also noticed I am getting hunger pangs more often, so I am taking that as a sign that all my systems are kicking back in to gear, maybe all the meds wearing off etc. I, too, had Lupron pre-op, my last shot was about 3 weeks before surgery, so I wonder if that wearing off is affecting me. I don't know, but I'm definitely not as happy-go-lucky as I was the first week or two. I felt better right after than I do right now! Hopefully it will come back.

PS: I survived a camping trip - Big multi-family thing we had committed to a year ago. I just laid in bed in the trailer or laid in the reclining camp chair the whole weekend. It was kind of nice but also frustrating not being able to help, and at the same time having to bite my tongue watching dh and the kids do stuff. I did find out that I hurt a LOT more when my bladder/bowels are not empty! You know how things slow down when you travel anyway? Within an hour of being home and going a couple times I felt 1000x better than I did all weekend. It was just so hard going in the icky campground bathroom. I kept envisioning staph infections or something horrid. Anyway I survived though and am glad to be back home in my nest!
Unread 07-15-2007, 05:04 PM

I too, went to church this morning, so nice to be back but I was very uncomfortable. Didn't stand up for all the songs, too hard to get my body in an upright position LOL.

I got my date for my CT scan. During my hyst. they found an aneurysm on my right illiac artery. I am more worried and scared about this scan than I was for my hysterectomy. I am very claustrophobic and I really don't like the idea of someone putting radio-opaque die into my veins.

HELP!!!!

Liz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register