Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 26 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

I'm like Wende, feeling pretty good. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op. I stayed in bed all day Sunday, didn't even get out of my jammies. But on Monday I'd had enough and gave myself a schedule of chores/activities I needed to do. I got half way through and stopped for the day - yoo hoo!! I even swept the bathroom floors and loaded dishes, and heated up a "freezer meal" for the family dinner. Today I vacuumed. I did half a room and then took a break, came back and finished the other half later. (Dr. had cleared me for vacuuming at 6 days post op!!) I ran to Walmart today for an hour and didn't come home exhausted like I have before.

I only remember to take my pain meds when I'm in pain. Today the pain is in my butt, which is typical for A & P repairs. Otherwise, I forget to take my meds. I'm very grateful that my surgery was vaginal, I don't want to think how much pain I would be in otherwise.

Last week I found out I have a 3 cm cyst on my ovary that wasn't there during my surgery. I have been having horrible bladder spasms that only let up the last couple of days. After reading about cysts, I found out the cyst is pressing on my bladder, and that the pain probably has nothing to do with my hysterectomy or the A&P repair, thank heaven. Since the pain has practically gone away in the last few days, I'm hoping it means the cyst is reabsorbing and it won't need to be dealt with. I was just thinking how horrible it would be to have this surgery and then turn around and do another surgery for a cyst!

Both of my daughters are gone for the summer and I'm feeling well enough to drive and shop, but no girls to do it with!! All I have are boys and they're real boring. One daughter comes home in 2 weeks (she's fun to shop with) and we have tax-free school shopping weekend in NC the first weekend of Aug., so I should be ready to go, with lots of breaks and naps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Jane-- Yeah, that's what I thought with the different types of sutures. It's still there. I go back on the 23rd. so I will ask then. Strange. Are you still having bleeding?

The string is still there. I am afraid to pull it. I am having no discharge, no fevers, just the normal tiredness.

Insomnia is going to kill me. I haven't taken an ambien since Friday night. For some reason I got worried that I was getting addicted to them. So I stopped. Sunday night and Monday night- I started both nights off on the couch and then moved to bed. I slept ok. It just took a long long time to get to sleep. Today was the first time that I took a nap-- something also very difficult since the surgery. I used to have no problems laying down for a hour. Now, forget it. But I did take a 2 hour one today. Not the best sleep.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.
Unread 07-17-2007, 05:18 PM

I had a abdominal hyst, i too was worried about bathroom use. My doctor had me pick up Docusate sodium, take it twice aday and all is good. I had mine done on July,2, take a magizine with and read some, it is never as bad as you are expecting it to be GOOD LUCK!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2007, 05:21 PM

My LVVH was on 7/2. Yesterday marked completion of two weeks of recovery. I've been mostly taking it easy and having a great recovery. Going through night time hot flashes has been interesting, but I somehow manage to get back to sleep. I don't know what we would have done without my DM (dear Mom) giving us a hand and taking over some of my household responsibilities. DH is busy with his own things.
I take one day at a time and listen to my body. When it is tired, I stop and rest.
Good luck to all
Unread 07-17-2007, 05:39 PM

Hi everyone! I will be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and after about 5 days of not feeling so great and having more pain than before I am happy to say last night and all day today - despite a trip to the pizza parlor and an airport run (in a wheelchair) today with my kids - I FEEL GREAT. Not in any pain to speak of other than that nagging sunburned feeling all over my lower belly. I just thought I'd post to give hope to those still in that 2 week slump. I am really hopeful that it is on its way out for me!! I am still taking it easy - I learned my lesson overdoing it last week - but I do feel so much better. Tired as heck and not able to sleep at night, but mentally and physically better than this last week has been. Whew!
Unread 07-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Day 21

Yesterday and today have left my "set back Sunday" in the dust. I've felt really, really good these past couple of days despite a rash of hot flashes yesterday and two today.

Dh returned to work yesterday and while I don't want to sound unappreciative of all his help, I honestly was appreciative, would I be horrible to admit that I was SO GLAD TO SEE HIM GO BACK TO WORK!!! As much as the housebound stuff got to me, I think it got to him much worse. He was getting really moody and irritated with me and everything. I breathed relief Monday morning.

I had my post op today. Everything is good. Slight bowel prolapse but nothing major and they didn't seem worried about it right now. The path on my uterus, cervix, ovaries all came back good, I wish I could say the same about the vulva path report, that's a different forum, but the margins came back positive :-( So for all the hacking up they did to me, I still have cancer tissue. There is nothing to be done at the moment until the vulvectomy sites heal. I see them in 3 weeks to discuss further treatment.

I got the okay to return to the gym, I can walk and he said I could even use the elliptical IF I use level one, keep the rpm's under 55 and keep it within comfort levels. This is exciting to me because I've gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks!! I've been eating like a pig out of bordom. It's way too hot and humid to walk outside, so going back to the fitness center is a blessing to me.

Doc also said I could do yard work within the normal limitations. No strenuous pushing on a mower, no heavy lifting, only work within my comfort zone. But at least I can get out there to my gardens and putter around :-)

So it IS getting better as far as the hysterectomy surgery. I don't want to jinx myself, but I feel really good right now. I was beyond exhausted after spending the day at the hospital (I had to see the colorectal surgeon as well with a three hour time gap between appointments), but I forced myself to stop at the grocery store, get home, do a few things and I am so proud of myself, I didn't fall on my face asleep. NO NAP :-))))))

Hugs to everyone! I am pulling for everyone here and hope the ladies who aren't feeling up to par start to real soon!

Unread 07-17-2007, 07:45 PM

Hi Kim
Here in Australia (not sure where you are) the probiotic drinks are marketed as Yakult. I buy them at the supermarket in packs of six or 12. They are a very sweet drink, a bit like very runny yoghurt I guess. (Don't taste great but a couple of gulps and it's gone!) There are also generic brands available. They are full of good bacteria which rebalances your sytem especially if you have been on antibiotics or unwell.
When I was in the emergenceny department on my return trip to hospital I had a great chat with a lovely doctor. She said that it would be quite a while before my system would get back to normal. (I had very low iron levels and low B12 levels) She said that for your body to absorb as much iron as possible you need to have vitamin C as well. Simple measures such as drinking orange juice with a meal when you are eating red meat or a fruity sauce for a steak etc make all the difference to the amount of iron you actually absorb. She told me to stay on the probiotic drinks (only 1 per day) for at least a month and also to use psyllium husks to help regularity. This is really cheap and I just sprinkle a little on cereal in the morning, mix it into my home made muesli mix, add some to casseroles, muffins, etc when I am cooking.
What this doctor said made so much sense and I am glad she did not just prescribe more drugs! She actually said she was toatlly against keeping drug companies in business when there is a natural way to go about things! So refreshing to hear and so nice for a busy doctor in an Er room to take the time to be so interested in her patients.
Hope these hints may help others and wishing you well on your recovery. I'm actually feeling quite a bit stronger today but will still be careful not to overdo it.

Helen
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Heather/ Ashley
Did you have vaginal packing? They pulled yards of it out of me the day after op. If you had it too maybe it was some of that, its gauze.
I'm day 18 & feel great but I dont have an incision to deal with, I do get tired by the end of the day though. I saw 1 stitch come out day 14 but haven't seen any more...how many do they put in?
Ashley hope you asked about the needle!
Anne
TVH /PVR w/mesh
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Today is the 3 week mark for me, hard to believe its been that long already, lol. Did laundry all by myself yesterday for the first time and had no problems. I did carry light loads though even if it meant walking more times to get it all to the laundry room. Felt good to do!! Also loaded and unloaded dishwasher twice and cooked dinner. So had a full day, slept really well and feel okay this morning. So I guess things are moving along fine, still not driving though. I will listen to my body and when IT feels up to it then I will drive, lol.

Only thing that kind of weighs on my mind is I had my ovaries removed and so far NO symptoms of any kind. So many of the posts that I've read where ovaries are removed the ladies have had hot flashes in the hospital or soon after coming home. Don't get me wrong I'm NOT wanting them to come on just wondering why so many have them yet nothing for me?? I did start a patch 12 days after surgery, which the Dr. said would help lessen any symptom but still....

guess maybe a thread in itself to ask others may be in order here, lol.
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:25 AM
3 weeks for me!

My surgery was 3 weeks ago today. I think that I am progressing along. I walk everyday . I have been doing light housework, swifting, dishes, some laundry and I feel fine. I don't overdo it though. The doctor said that I could drive at 3 weeks so I drove yesterday for the first time. I went out for breakfast with my daughter but I could take surface streets. I think things are good so far

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register