Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 29 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Sorry to make so many replies but I didn't see your reply Ashley until I already replied to Zelda. Anyway it's nice to know someone can relate. I was also accused at a young age of most of my pain and problems being psychiatric and I too wanted to kill the doctor. I finally found one who believed in me and listened though. I was diagnosed with all of the problems so I had a name to put to it but at that time, there weren't a lot of treatment options so basically I learned to grin and bear it. I don't even remember the last time I felt "good" anymore but hey like I said before it could be worse and I do have my good days when my meds. are working right and there is only a little pain. Now those are my good days. I guess sometimes when you can't change the situation you just have to change your way of thinking. My asthma was also ignored until I was older, but usually it's not too much of a bother unless the weather acts up, I'm around irritants, or I get sick. I also have neuropathy that causes certain things like my blood pressure and other things that your body normally controls withour you having to think about it(heartbeat, etc.) to go a little whacky, so I really understand what you're talking about. If you need to talk we can get together. Just remember to take care of you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM

I had my surgery done vaginally and was released to go up and down the stairs about a week and a half out. I have also been driving for about a week. I try to stop before I overdo it. DH put me back in the bed today because I have been experiencing cramping. I am still having discharge, however, I am starting to see some bright red spotting mixed in. I have not called my dr because when I went for my follow up he said to just let him know if I start bleeding enough to fill up a pad. I am just trying to slow down and take it easy. Have not been doing much but I guess my body is telling me that I have done to much. My body knows better than my mind.
Unread 07-18-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm almost chuckling as I read some of the posts tonight. It's amazing how many young women are accused of the pain being in their heads! I had my first laparoscopy at 13 because they didn't know what else to do. My Dr. was fantastic, but I ended up in the ER with suspected appendicitis more than once. Each time, when appendicitis was ruled out, I was accused of being drug seeking, attention seeking, psychotic.... the accusations became more outrageous each time. Once I had my surgery, and they found several ruptured cysts, severe endo and adhesions from the endo they had an explanation! I was 13 and had only had my period 3 or 4 times prior to surgery. Looking at this site, clearly there are a LOT of young women with issues so I guess I'm surprised that doctors are still saying it has to be a mental/emotional problem! I chuckle because if I don't laugh at the ridiculousness (is that a word??) of this situation, I'd probably scream!

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully it's all in our past now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Have you tried Benedryl for a sleep aid? That's what I have been using and it works really well.
Fan of Purple
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Lin914
Boy do I know what it is like to have company. My daughter and her boyfriend are here for 10 days (today is day 3). I haven't seen her since last June!!! This is not the best time for her to come because she wants to go to the beach, art museum, movies, aquarium and all of the other stuff that you do when relatives come. I am watching myself but it is so hard to tell her that I cannot do everything. I know right now I feel like I am all healed and want to do more. We have planned a bumpy wilderness 90 minute ride in a safari buggy on Saturday 60 minutes down the road from our house. Then going out afterwards.

You know, it is hard to wonder why friends act like that when you are in need. My family (you know brothers and sisters) all live out of town have hardly called. My close sister hasn't called but once....sometimes I feel like maybe I have a very contagious disease that you can get over the phone. I mentioned this to my DH and he said "think of all the support your daughters and I gave you....don't dwell on the friends and family that didn't give the support you thought they would give you." Then I cried thinking I was just being selfish. Your feelings are so real and you are not overacting. Continue to be the helpful person you are (after YOU are healed) because that makes you YOU! Some people just don't have that intuition in them.

Take care and have your family again help you to get back from this setback. I may be talking to you again next Wednesday after my DD leaves and be crying on your shoulder!
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:15 PM

I'm sorry for those of you that haven't had much family or friendly support! My family isn't local, but have been fantastic. I've had a few friends really step up and help a lot, but some of those that I expected to step up have disappeared. I guess this is where we learn who are true friends are and who is a fair weather friend!
Good luck to all
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:14 PM

Kris - When I was 12 I had my first period and from the very first one I had problems. All the drs wanted to do was throw me on birth control pills (which never worked). They did an internal ultrasound and never found anything. While I was pregnant with my third child I asked my dr at that time if she could perform a hystorectomy to eliminate my endo problems and she asked me, "How would that eliminate your problems?" That is when I knew I was not dealing with the right drs. If I knew more than she did then obviously I needed to move on to a more professional dr. Once I changed to a different dr he saw me only two times before performing my diagnostic lap. After he had enough information for the insurance company he saw me only two more times before performing my hystorectomy. You were truly blessed to be able to come in contact with a dr from the very beginning that could diagnose your problems.
Unread 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Like Fan of Purple, I have had good success with Benedryl. I sometimes wake up with a hot flash, but I go ack to sleep quickly with the Benedryl.

I'm having good days and I walk about a mile each evening, but I still have to lie down during the afternoon for 2-3 hours. Fatigue is my biggest challenge at 3 weeks post-op.

Nancy
TAH/BSO on 6/25
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Could it be?

Hi beautiful ladies.

Last Sunday was so bad I really reached bottom. I have to say that since that day, the days this week have all been really good. *knocks on wood!*

Could it be that the really bad days are over? Gosh I hope so and I hope to inspire those of you who haven't reached that plateau yet.

There are "moments" when fatigue threatens but so far this week it's been relatively pain free, a cramp here, a cramp there. I haven't had to nap during the day, combined with more activity freedom, and the blessed energy to do so, it's making sleeping through the night a whole lot better.

I've been passing little bits of string (stitches) - ewwwww! All that kind of fun, gross stuff, but it means I'm healing so that is a positive thing.

It feels good not to be focused on my body so much. I'm thinking this helps tremendously. Recuperating left so much time on my hands with little else to focus on. It's not a bad thing, because for a time, we need to be focused on us and our healing. I'm guess I'm just admitting that it's nice to have other things to do and to focus the attention to.

Of course now it's too hot and humid outside to do anything outside after 10AM! :burning:

Still heeding my recover orders, no heavy lifting, mindful of pelvic strain, I'm feeling so energetic the more I get out and move about. So ladies, don't give up, it's coming!

My prayers are with everyone. I am saying a special prayer for everyone who may be feeling poorly and haven't had a good time of things lately that you'll soon be feeling better and that your recovery speeds up for both your body and mind.

Unread 07-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Hello everyone,
Today is 3 weeks for me. I've been having a really difficult time and finally called the doctor yesterday, and I'm so glad I did. Last week, on my 2-week mark, I went for my first post-op, got my staples removed, and when I told the doctor I was having hot flashes, he talked to me a little bit about HRT and gave me a prescription for .3 mg premarin. Since then I've been on a serious downward spiral emotionally. So yesterday when I went in to the office and fell apart in front of the nurse doing my intake, she immediately called in the PA and then the PA called in the doctor. I hadn't seen the PA since I was still in the hospital, and it was another associate doctor who released me. When the PA looked at my chart she said I should have been put on 3x the amt of estrogen plus an antidepressant from the beginning, even while I was in the hospital. I live alone and when she asked me a few question about bathing and eating (which I haven't been doing), it was clear to her that my anxiety and depression were way more important than my complaints about bladder spasms or my belly wound.
I was so relieved. I've never had any experience with depression, and so I had no idea what was wrong with me or why I couldn't pull myself through even the basics of daily whatever. I would feed the cats and go back to bed crying.
They tripled my premarin, gave me an anti-anxiety med, and an anti-depressant. It was an exhausting day - my friend who drove me have 3 little kids strapped into car seats in the back of her car. We had to go to 2 different offices to see the PA and the doctor, dropped the prescriptions off at the pharmacy, then home. Another friend picked up the prescriptions and brought them to me, and brought a hot dinner, too. I was almost too tired for any polite company, but she didn't stay long. I took the meds and I fell into bed. I dozed for about an hour then while still in bed, I called my 3 best friends and my sister (all live out of town) and they all heaped love and sympathy on me and really helped make me feel better.
It is a strange feeling to look back at yesterday and see how bad I was and now look at today and I am so much better. I'm still not feeling "normal," but I'm okay, and I have hope, which I had none of before.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Shelly
TAH/BSO, appendectomy, ovarian malignancy found & removed, abdominal cancer staging, June 28

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register