Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 07-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

had a TAVH on JUne 25...my doc took everything,said he had trouble getting my uterus out do to the size but he worked on it for some time and then got it all out...no exta cuts...

he also fixed an old episotomy scar so sitting is a bit rough...pain hasnt been bad at all from the hysterectomy but boy the episotmy is another story...

I would up with a fever after I cam home and called doc and it was due to a UTI from the catherization...

but Im feelin alot better but I get tired very easy..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM

hello ladies. i'm finally able to sit at my computer so i thought i'd give an update. =)

had a TAH (removed everything, including cervix), on Thursday, June 28th. had to go back into the OR after about an hour, due to hemorraging (don't really remember any of that, just thankful doctor was on the ball, and able to fix it.)

we're not sure if it was Endo or not, but he removed endometrial tissue that had completely blocked off my left ovary, and was wrapped around my bowel and intestines, my right ovary was filled with cysts. he thinks that while he was scraping the tissue away from my bowel, it caused a tear in my vaginal wall, which is what caused my bleeding. he went back in vaginally and put 2 stiches in, and everything's been ok since.

i came home early Saturday morning, and was very anxious to get here. =)

i'm recovering well. still have some pain, mostly when i move positions, and especially in the mornings. finally had a BM today, and i can honestly say, that in itself has made feel tons better!

i'm a little emotional, but i'm that way anyways, so it may just be feelings from the surgery.

probably gonna wait to see what the pathology reports are, to see if it was Endo or not. if not, i plan on starting on HRT in the next few weeks. i don't want to wait till i feel all the bad symptoms to get started.

thanks again to everyone for their support during this big event. you all really did make it alot easier to go through. and best wishes to all the ladies in waiting. <3
Unread 07-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Home and doing well!!!

Howdy,y'all!!! Had my surgery June 27th. No complications and they removed my appendix while they were in there! Anyway, I came home June 29th around supper time and I really am not in as much pain as I thought I would be.
The only thing that IS painful is the gas! It gets stuck or something and I swear I am going to burst . Oh well, just happy it's OVER!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2007, 12:56 PM

Hi ladies. I had my hysterectomy on Friday the 29th. I'm waiting on a prescription for antibiotics at the moment. I haven't been able to shake a fever that has set in.

My surgery was supposed to be an abdominal lap. surgery, but doc switched halfway though and removed the uterus vaginally. I'm not sure why. I can't wait to find out what the reason for the switch was. He says I had a damaged cervix which he was able to repair and keep. I didn't think you could do that with a vaginal hyst.

I'm off to nap. Typing has worn me out.

Dee
Unread 07-02-2007, 02:39 PM

Had my LSH (kept ovaries and cervix) and TVT-Secur on 6/28 at 8:00 AM. Doc looked around and said all looked good, no endo, etc, but my big fibroid was bigger than his loosely clenched fist and I also had a few smaller ones. My uterus was quite large (5 mos) as well. Woke up in PACU...don't remember a lot but the nurse telling me that I was 'wild'...guess I shouldn't have watched those "Sopranos" reruns the week before surgery. Stayed one night in hospital and glad I did. I had terrible cramping (did not expect that) and some moderate incision pain on the left incision. The belly button incision wasn't sore until 2 days out and the incision on the right isn't sore at all. I have RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and cannot take some of the more typical anti-nausea drugs as it makes the RLS worse. My nurse was an angel and after giving me all of the anti-nausea meds they could, finally figured out that the nausea was being caused by the pain and then upped the Demerol....ah...instant relief. I did not have a catheter in when I woke up and even though I felt like I needed to go, I could not. The nurse put in a one-time use cath, but later, the same thing and they ended up putting in a Foley. The next morning the Foley came out and about 1 hour later I was able to go on my own. I have had no pain whatsoever in my vagina at the TVT site. I know that it is working because I have vomited, sneezed and coughed with it in place and no problems at all.

I feel quite well. Stopped on the way home from hospital for a bite to eat, went out to eat the next day and walked around WalMart a bit yesterday...no lifting though. I have had the expected gas pains, but was not as bad as when I had my gallbladder out 2-1/2 years ago. Had my first BM yesterday morning (72 hours post surgery), so all is working well. I am on Vicodin and some Advil. The most discomfort is from the left incision, but is quite tolerable. Not much bleeding vaginally, but am hating the cramps...guess my cervix is letting me know how it feels about what it has been through. I'm just so glad to have it behind me and now be a princess. . It has taken me almost 10 years and 3 cancelled surgeries to get here (I am the original runaway patient)
Unread 07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
First Post.

I am so glad to have found this site. I had my vaginal hysterectomy last Thursday (June 28) and was released the next day. I was only supposed to have my uterus removed and some endo burned off of my right ovary however once he was in there he found that I had a grapefruit sized endometrial cyst on my left ovary so he had to take that as well. I had a lap surgery done in January and was found to have Endometriosis and Adenomyosis. I am so happy to be home. The recovery was not so bad it was the night after that I had a problem. A nurse came in and readjusted my cath and that just about killed me. They had to give me three different meds just to get me calmed down. They also had to do an xray of my abdomen because they misplaced a needle during surgery. Luckily they did not misplace it inside of me. The day I was released from the hospital I was taken back in the same night because I was experiencing this horrible pressure in my rectum area and the doctor wanted to see me asap. He was worried there was a blood clot between my rectum and vagina causing the pressure. It ended up being an minor infection. To ease the problem they put me on an antibiotic and doubled up on all of my other meds (Ibuprofen and Hydrocodone). Since being home I have been doing well. Trying to stay in the bed. I have def. not been experiencing loss of appetite. I seem to be eating too much. It took me about two and a half days after surgery to have a bowel movement. The day I came home I started taking MOM twice a day and still do to keep things soft. I had alot of gas built up and trying to pass it was horrible until I finally did. I was bloated and hurting. Today I got up and did the dishes and have been doing the laundry since the day after I came home. I know I am not supposed to but I can't help it. Hubby and kids have been extremely helpful. My aunt kept my kids with her until today to give me a few days of rest without any noise but the rest part was impossible. I have not had a good nights sleep since last Tuesday. Hopefully that will change soon. I am looking forward to being back to my old self and PAIN FREE!!! I have been dreaming of the day there would be no pain and that day is finally in reach!!

Thanks to the ladies for starting this forum. Reading the other posts since finding it has helped me to realize that everything I have been experencing is normal.

Good luck to those of you who are reading this in preperation for your own surgery. Just remember you may think it is going to be tough (and it may be) but the reason you are having it is much worse than the short recovery you are going to have.

Thanks again,

Ashley, age 30
Hystorectomy (June 28)
Kept Right Ovary
Unread 07-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Day Six Post-Op

Hi Everyone,
I had my surgery on June 26, 2007 and am now six day post op. The physician performed a total abdominal hysterectomy and oopherectomy due to a uterus the size of a 12 week pregnanat woman and severe PMDD. Up to this point I have been in a significant amount of pain that has been moderately controlled with pain medication. Today I am feeling totally out of sort. I feel depressed I am sure as a result of the surgery, lack of hormones, and isolation as a result of recovery.
I still have some ambivilance as far as the need for the surgery, but often remind myself that it is done now so move on. Still knowing that I have to go through the emotions of loss. I dont know. The fact that I am 43 years old, have four wonderful adult children, and five grandchildren, in no way seems to be any consulation for the loss of the ability to have children.
As I have gotten older I knew my life was changing, yet the loss of the uterus and ovaries seem to be the tangible evidence of a change of life beofre my time. Parts of me feels robbed of the time. Maybe I robbed myself by taking the easier softer way. I don't know. All I know is right this very minute; for the very first time since the surgery I feel great sadness. The not being able to do much is killing me. I generally stay very busy, everything is managed with busyness. Relationship problems, problems at work, kids having problems... just stay busy that will fix it. So now I am at a stand still.......I have been on the estrogen patch since the surgery and will begin compounded natural hormone replacement this evening with estrogen/progesterine/DHEA. Am anxious to see how it works. I have had one episode of a hot flash since I have been home.. MAN WAS THAT A DOOZIE!!! Now I know what the big deal is. Not fun I tell you. Yet, I have been fortunate not to have another. I have been walking two times a day for about 1/8 of a mile each time and drinking lot's of water, at least much more than I usually do. Okay. I probably could drink more. Finally, had a BM, was that a relief. That made me feel so much better physically. One thing for sure, is that I am happy that I found, excuse me my husband found this website. Hope all is well with the rest of you.....
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:14 AM

hi all, I had a TVH with TVT and AP repair on Wednesday 6/27. I was discharged home on Friday afternoon. I still have yet to have a BM-- I did do the major bowel prep thing before surgery but nothing yet. Lots of gas that hurts! I still have the foley cath in-- they've tried to remove it twice with no sucess. They are planning to try again on Thursday. It's bad but bearable. Anything is better than bleeding 24/7. I also got a bad oral thrush (yeast) infection from all the antibiotics. So currently, I am not taking anything.

I hope to have a BM today!!!
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:47 AM
definite swelly belly

I am now 6 days post op TVH, A and P repair, and bladder sling, and I'm almost worried that I feel so good! Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I'm afraid I'll try to do too much due to boredom. I am an MD, but not an ob-gyn, so this is all foreign. I haven't taken anything but NSAIDS since the first post op day. The thing that bothers me the most is this big belly. Reading the info on swelly belly was very helpful (I thought that only applied to abd hysters). I used to exercise every day, and I'm a type A personality.... YIKES!!!
Unread 07-03-2007, 01:47 PM

Hi everyone,
had my TAH on 6/29, got to keep my ovaries. Was in the hospital for 3 days. The last 2 days the nurses kept messing up with my pain meds so I was uncomfortable and miserable.
Home now and I'm taking the Ibuprofen and an occasional Darvocet for pain. No gas or bowel pain to speak of and already BMing like normal.
Pretty tired most of the time. And I'm getting very depressed because I feel like I'm letting everyone down (feel like I'm not recovering fast enough, shouldn't need the pain meds, should be doing more around the house, etc.)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register