Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 43 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Sage - have fun on your romantic weekend, I am so not ready for anything romantic! Where in the bay area are you going? I live in Sonoma County! I can't imagine an overseas flight etc. but I know you will get through it, the bulk of your healing will be done by then and we will all pray that your complications are over by then and it will be smooth sailing off to a new life with the new you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2007, 05:14 PM

Hey gals, just took a long walk in the woods with the dog after sleeping all afternoon after p-t job, now found all your messages, yayy! I'm 65, was in good physical shape before the TAH/BSO (aikido martial art, good for older people, balance, stretching, alertness), and recovery has been pretty good, just need to SLEEP a lot, and can't see over the belly, oh well. Re China, acupuncture treats a lot of things, and they know how to do it best, don't worry. My acupuncturist here is Chinese, formerly an OB/GYN in China... Re HRT, lots of yams and sweet potatoes...I'm old enough that I won't really miss what little there was left, and the exercising and organic foods diet, mostly raw and vegetable/fruit, keeps me feeling good. I started to drink more coffee for work and travel and eat more bread and got rashy on the forearms, so quit that. I'm lucky, nobody making demands on me except the dog and the cats, and send lots of warm fuzzies to all of you who are still doing for others when they need to do for you. Tell them! Hugs to you all, N
Unread 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM

Hola,

Where is our thread??? We need to post more or we will vanish! :-) Anyway, I just got back from my dr. (I went Friday and now, today...I feel like I live there) and I am fine. I do have lots of little things wrong, but nothing that is going to kill me or cause big problems for a while. I have tiny rectocele if you can even imagine. I just have to try to keep it from getting any worse. I have one last prescription for the itching, but it is getting better.

So..I got the okay for sex! I am not telling dh. I figure, this way, I can still chicken out without him feeling bummed out.

Karen, we are going to Bodega Bay. We live in Santa Cruz. When my dh and I were dating a zillion years ago we used to go camping in the dunes there. We'd bring a blender and make margaritas and I remember it being so much fun...of course, now we are staying in a nice hotel, but still.

Hope everyone is having a happy week five!

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2007, 08:37 PM

Sage - How do you prevent a rectocele from getting worse? I think I have one. Or I should say I didn't remember till after my hyst that my old old old Dr. (4 Drs ago) said I had one and now I am noticing it, maybe just from weakening muscles in there? I don't know that it is a problem really I just felt bulging when I wiped. I can't believe my Dr. didn't notice it in all my exams and offer to fix it? I guess I am kinda glad but I am just curious if there's something I can do - kegels?

Bodega Bay is about 20 min. from us it is wonderful! We are going in October to the Dunes we camp there every year with extended family and we do margaritas too! I hope you have a great time. I like the idea of not committing to sex, I know my dh is counting on it at the 6 week mark but I just cannot imagine wanting to yet, I gotta figure out how to break that to him, but I figure I'd wait till I get that close and see, maybe I will feel like it?
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:12 PM

Karen,

I read on a few websites that a hyst can weaken the pelvic floor muscles. I had twins 11 years ago and think my pelvic floor was weakened by that, and then, the hyst pushed it over the edge. My doctor didn't notice it either because it can't really be seen if I am lying down. It goes back into place. I found mine with a mirror in the bathroom looking to see if I had scratched myself with all that itching I had (I had some bleeding and it turned out I was scratching in my sleep!) You can probably do the same, making sure you are sitting up so you can really see how much it comes down. It sounds gross but I was relived to see it is a small one compared to the images I found online (some were really scary and have motivated me to do 15 serious kegals a night for life!)

My dr. said the best way to keep it from getting worse is to never strain with a bm for any reason. That is the worst thing because it makes the rectum push against the muscle that is already thin. Once I have less estrogen, I also will need to use estrogen cream or ? to keep the wall from getting even more thin. Kegals can help the entire area become stronger.

The whole idea of this is so horrifying but I am just so relived that I don't need surgery that I don't think I am as upset as I would normally be over something like this. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow (assuming I don;t chicken out! :-))

Kim
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:24 PM

Hi All. I Am At 5 Weeks Post Op And Just Started To Have A Few Major Dizzy Spells Myself, One Was So Bad I Thought I Was Going To Pass Out, I Sat Down On The Floorand It Went Away After A Few Moments, Am Not Sure What The Dizzy Is All About But A Few Of Us Is Also Having Them, What I Cant Figure Out Is The Not Being Able To Sleep Much Anymore, Why Are So Many Of Us Having Trouble Sleeping, The Only Thing I Can Think Of Is That We Are So Ust To Taking The Pain Pills And Once We Stop We Cant Sleep, Does Anyone Have Any Ideas For Getting To Sleep?? Even The Great Afternoon Nap Is Now Poor, I Know I Am Very Active,been Driving Since Day 6 , Walking Stairs, Doing Housework, Shopping So Its Not From Lack Of Activity, Hugs To All!!!!!
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:46 PM

I see my doc tomorrow. I'll ask her about this stuff. I'm not dizzy, but I'm not on HRT or anything for the pain anymore. I'm having trouble with my sleep schedule...can't go to sleep until late and then I get up late, even with Tylenol P.M. I Googled "insomnia hysterectomy" and "sleep hysterectomy" and apparently sleep and mood problems are common. Couldn't find anything that said how long they'd last, though.
Unread 08-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Zelda, have you tried a tall glass of ice by your bedside? I put it on my neck and chest just as the flash is starting and it seems to help it go away faster. When the ice melts, I drink the cold water.
This helps me. My sleep is very irratic too. Good luck!
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:09 AM

I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow. Here's my report. Mostly good, some bad. I'm finally feeling good about my progress so far, and lots of hope about my recovery.
I started driving last Thursday (4wk mark). It's very empowering - I'm no longer dependent on others, and no longer trapped in the house. I go out everyday to see friends, and I've been to the drugstore once and the grocery store twice. I can do most everything around the house except vacuum and haul the garbage to the street. So my carpets are a bit messy, so what. My neighbor's taking care of my garbage for me. I take Tylenol 1-2x a day for pain - sometimes for my belly, sometimes for my back - it gets tired and tense. My belly is relatively flat. I have a vertical scar, and one side is puffier than the other - I'm not sure how much of that is swelling and how much is me and if I will remain asymetrical now. I still have crazy sunburn-like surface tenderness on unpredictable parts of my belly and down into my hairline. I have no idea what that will be like in the future - it makes me a little nervous about any kind of physical intimacy. I am sleeping 8-10 hours at night and laying down for a couple of hours during the day.
My experience with HRT was definitely bad. This past weekend I gave up on it completely - I tried 2 different formulations of estrogen, and both made me suicidal, homicidal, depressed, anxious, dizzy, nauseous, and yes, unable to sleep. I lost 5 lbs, 2 weeks, and I thought I was losing my mind. I really think the HRT experiments slowed my physical progress down, but it's hard to be sure. The anxiety definitely exacerbated my pain and kept me on narcotics longer than I preferred.
I'm taking evening primrose for hot flashes. I think it's helping. I'm taking super B complex, and I think that's what's helping me sleep. And at the ripe old age of 41, I've finally started taking a multivitamin with calcium. Before the doctor said the words "ovarian cancer" to me, I was feeling fairly bullet-proof. Not reckless, but young, strong and in good physical condition. I look forward to feeling that way again. I'm feeling stronger everyday, still not putting any weight back on, but I'm sure that will happen when I can resume more physically robust activity.
I go back to the doctor in two weeks for a final post-op. After that I'll go in 3-4x a year to check for new/recurring cancer, which they say is only about 3% chance.
I've said it before, but it's still true. I'm really really grateful for this listserv and website. I've learned a lot, walked through fears, and felt like I wasn't alone. Thanks, ladies.
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:17 AM

Out of the three women I am close to who went through menopause, two of them had serious sleep problems. It is kind of hard to say this close to surgery, but I think in two or three weeks, a sleep problem is probably a hormone thing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register