Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 44 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 08-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

My surgery was 5 weeks ago today. I return to work in one week from today. For the most part I am good. I lifted a couple of things I probably should not have and had a little bit of pain but I learned my lesson and the pain is pretty much gone. I am doing a lot of walking still but I rest afterwards. All in all I am doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2007, 08:00 PM

Hi Ladies,

Had my 5 week check-up today and here is my report:

1. I still had some steri-strips on, so the doc removed them and lump under them (pooled liquid from healing) is much smaller.
2. Could have had an internal exam and possibly be cleared for sex, but decided to go back in 2 weeks for that since my belly is swollen and I don't feel like sex yet!
3. My incision, (bikini cut) which had split open into a gaping wound day 2 after staples were removed, looked miraculously good and I can just "ignore it" now, but it still seeps and bleeds so I will dress it at least once a day, instead of twice.
4. I asked when my swollen belly would go down and doc said, well, some of that does have to do with diet and exercise (point taken) but for goodness sake I had a fibroid the size of a soccer ball, won't my tummy go down just a little? And the doc did say the swelling could last a couple months, so there's some hope yet.
5. Doc said to walk at least 2 miles a day so I'm doing my "Walking Away the Punds 2 Miles" tape since I live in a hilly area and don't feel up to that yet.
6. Being hot when I wake up (not really night sweats) probably has to do with the weather since I'm not on hormones and may be from the rubbery mattress pad I put down in case of leakage. I'm taking that thing off the bed tonight!
7. Falling asleep late and waking up late can be adjusted now. Doc said no need to wait until week 6, that some structure and discipline was OK in my life now. Hmm, I was getting used to lying about!
8. Still no carrying the vacuum upstairs, but I can carefully vacuum at least one level of the house (there are 3 all together).
9. Drove for the first time today since seat belt position had necessitated a pillow and it just felt too awkward. So I made a seat belt pad that is thick and velcroes around the section of the belt that touches my belly. It was REALLY helpful. If anyone else has this issue, I think they may sell something like this made out of sheepskin at auto supply stores. Or ask a friend who sews to make you one.
10. Glad I'm feeling better and hope and pray everyone else does too.
Unread 08-01-2007, 08:38 PM

I had a great day today! It just dawned on me, "Gee, I feel better." Seemed to have happened over night.

It doesn't hurt so bad now to bend over to floor, but my kids won't let me when they are around! lol We had a very busy lunch run at the cafe yesterday. I was very tired, but felt good. Thought I'd pay for it today, but haven't yet. Everyone around me is still watching me like a dog since I over did it weekend before last. I'm still not lifting over 5-7 lbs, very strict on that one since that's what got me that weekend. I'm finally comfortable driving now. Monday I even made my first trip to town by myself to the library. Felt really good to have some independence. I went to the genealogy dept. The ladies there were very helpful carring the really big heavy books I needed.

I thought I'd experienced hot flashes before surgery, huh, NO I HADN'T!!!! Thank goodness I've only had 3 or 4. I'm still freezing at night though. And I have really oily skin. I guess hormones aren't straighten out yet.

I see my gyn week from today. Looking forward to seeing how the sexual side of life will be now. Tried the external side, scary & nervous, but things seem to be in order. It kinda left me feeling like it was the first time! lol I'm still taking it easy every chance I get just so I don't rebound somewhere along the line. It was good to have a day that felt like the old me before all the [email protected]?#$%^!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Feeling better but so EXHAUSTED!

It has been 5 weeks since my surgery. I am feeling better since the surgery. I am doing more things but I am so EXHAUSTED all the time. My behind still hurts if I sit too long. Had a little set back with a UTI but I am better.
It is amazing that 5 weeks have already passed. I go to the doctor next week for my 6 week post-op and return to work the following Monday. I am amazed how some of you are able to go back to work. My low energy and fuzzy-headness keeps me from feeling 100% better. I I hope my energy level goes up soon or I will never be able to keep up with my students!
Good luck Princesses in your continued recovery.
Unread 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM

Hello Ladies,
I'm 5 weeks post op today and really feel pretty good. I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy. I'm a person who doesn't like to sit still and for the last 5 weeks when my stomach was in pain, I was down right miserable and didn't think I would ever feel good again. I'm even thinking about sex again with my DH, I sure he'll be happy about that. I'm still nervous though. I will wait till I'm 6 weeks or more. Just afraid I might tear some thing. Don't want to go backwards. I need to get back to work. I'm a server in a restaurant and carry alot of heavy trays through dining rooms. I'm alittle nervous about that too. I just want my life to get back to normal. Any comments out there?
Unread 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellflower
Hello Ladies,
I'm 5 weeks post op today and really feel pretty good. I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy. I'm a person who doesn't like to sit still and for the last 5 weeks when my stomach was in pain, I was down right miserable and didn't think I would ever feel good again. I'm even thinking about sex again with my DH, I sure he'll be happy about that. I'm still nervous though. I will wait till I'm 6 weeks or more. Just afraid I might tear some thing. Don't want to go backwards. I need to get back to work. I'm a server in a restaurant and carry alot of heavy trays through dining rooms. I'm alittle nervous about that too. I just want my life to get back to normal. Any comments out there?
Hi Bellflower
I know what you mean about not liking to sit still. I'm in week 5 but I will be going back to work next week at 6 weeks. Luckily, I don't have to do a lot of lifting. I would let the doctor say when it is time for you to go back especially since you need to carry around trays. I'm not sure what type of surgery you had either. Mine was a vaginal hysterectomy so I don't have an external incision to worry about. I have been doing a lot of walking to build my endurance. For the most part my job is not physically demanding although extremely busy days can take it's toll physically and emotionally. Good luck!
Unread 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM

Hi all,

Back from my romantic getaway! Totally chickened out on sex. Good thing I didn't say anything to dh about being cleared. Oh well. Maybe it will be better at home. Sometime soon.

We did a walking tour of Occidental (Karen, you should totally drive to Occidental when you guys go to Bodega! You can buy a walking tour guide at the local art store and it was really fun.) Anyway, we walked for about six hours and I didn't have more than a twinge or two from "the area"...I actually felt like my old self (only better!)

When we got home, DH was tired, so I drove an hour round trip to pick up the kids and it felt really good to do something and not need someone to help. It is amazing how far we've all come! Week five today. I go to my general dr. today to get some meds and have my heart checked out (it acted weird after the surgery). Hope everyone is having a great week five.

Kim
Unread 08-03-2007, 01:20 PM

I seen the Dr. yesterday and was cleared to do all. She did say to take things slow and go at my own pace. I have been ready for sex since the first week so was really glad to get released for that. I do have a little bit (not enough to take pain meds just there) of pain in my pelvic region, Dr. says she thinks I might have bladder infection so she gave me med for that. I have had a little pink discharge last couple of days she said that was my stitches desolving. She did tell me that I may have more discharge after sex, I can handle that. I did ask about the sleeping problems and she told me since I have both of my ovaries that it should not be from the hyst. but may actually be from the fact that I had major surgery. She didn't give me anything just said as activity increases sleep should get better. I sure hope so really feeling tired with so little sleep. The dizzy spells have not been happening for about a week now, hopefully will stay away.
All and all I feel really good and don't think too much about the surgery anymore. To all of the wonderful sisters!
:
Unread 08-03-2007, 05:16 PM
5 week post op appt. today

1. NOT cleared for sex, I'll have to wait a week or two.

2. Cleared for baths and swimming.

3. Cleared for yoga, tai chi, but NOT jumping on the trampoline, ever.

4. Told to come back once a year to check on "what's still left"

5. Pathology report said just a few benign fibroids in my uterus.

6. Exam found that all my mesh repairs (cystocele and retrocele) are in good shape. (The rectal exam hurt like heck!!)

7. Told that there will still be bladder spasms now and then as the bladder isn't used to being in the right place (had prolapse repair work done). If I'm still having bladder spasms after 6 months, then something else might have to be done.

I start work in 3 more weeks (teacher) and plan to take my teen daughter with me to help set up the room, move furniture, put stuff on the walls, carry in all my boxes of books.

My biggest life problem is getting tired when shopping. I usually make kids or DH push the cart when it gets heavy, and they stand in line at the check out while I go sit down. Then they have to load and unload the car. I usually head straight for bed after any shopping trip. I can't imagine what the first week of school will be like.
Unread 08-04-2007, 12:07 AM

I am 5 weeks post op and was at the grocery store this morning and realized that I felt "normal" for a minute. I was loading the cart and even gently lifted two 24-packs of water. It felt good!

Now I am really testing the waters to recovery. Yesterday was my son's 11th birthday! We started out by going to the movies to see "The Simpsons". Due to the sleep problems, I was falling asleep (or maybe it was the movie - we've never watched it at home but the ds really wanted to see it -NOT recommended). Then we followed that in the evening meeting the grandparents, aunts, uncles for a birthday party for my ds and his cousin at Chuck E Cheese until 10:30 pm. Today, we are having the "friends" party. I took 12 boys (need more by said ) to laser tag, brought them back to the house to swim, and now we are having a sleepover. I figure I won't have any problems staying awake to check on them in the night ... just maybe to tired to get up

If that was not enough, my dh is insisting on going on a vacation and leaving Sunday or Monday. I was trying to talk him into going on a guy surf trip (they left last night). I even told him to fly out later (Sat evening or Sunday so he could help with the sleepover) and meet them. I thought because of the surgery, we would not be able to go on one this summer. He says the ds needs one. He sees me moving about so much more than a week ago and wants to go. It just seems like too much work to prepare for a vacation - doesn't that sound funny? Anyways, once we get to our destination, I'm sure it will be restful.

4-week check-up with the dr last week went well. He said it would just take time (months) to get complete healing. Patience would be the key now. He does want me to take Naproxen or Aleve 2x a day until he sees me again at the 8-week check up for nerve damage pain.

I do notice an improvement in how I feel, of course from the early weeks, but also even from last week. I do have the swelly belly but it is all the time not just at the end of the day but it is hard or firm. Is that what everyone else's feels like?

Also, my stomach will burn right below the navel. Not bad, but enough. I had total abdominal hyst and the pain is not at the incision. Does anyone else have that burning feeling at or right below the navel and going downward?

Sorry so long - I just had to tell ya'll about the looonnnng weekend!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register