Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 45 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 08-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

ted96...I too had a TAH on 6/28, still have ovaries. I, finally after 5 weeks feel some what normal. My belly is still swollen and I can't stand it. I've always had a flat stomach. It's swollen all the time not just in the evenings.
In the early weeks, if I did to much during the day it would hurt more in the evenings, but that has passed also. It's just swollen and my stomach is numb past my belly button, it's a weird feeling, I guess because I can't feel anything in that area. My DH is going fishing today, wanted me to go on the boat with him. I didn't think it was a good idea, quite yet. Maybe next weekend????? So, I'm going to the mall to walk around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2007, 06:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I had my post op appt on Friday (5 weeks) and this is the summary of my appt:

Pathology - large submucosal fibroids, no adenomysos

Headaches - GYN said that it could be hormonal related, as my ovaries may not have kicked in yet after surgery. It could also be the Lupron which I had on June 25th (it may stay in my system for a few more weeks).

Healing - GYN said that my incision looks great (it doesnt look so great to me) and he didnt do an internal, he said there was no reason to, however, if I see any spotting past 3 months, that I should return to him (I did have spotting for about 3 weeks and then again for one day at 4.5 weeks).

Sex - I can resume normal activities (normal for us in the last few years has been very very infrequent because of the constant bleeding and pain). We have not had any sexual contact yet, I want to be ready, and I'm not just yet. Maybe next week? I dont know...DH is very understanding.

Insomnia - GYN said this could be due to so many things. Maybe hormones, maybe Lupron, maybe stress. It IS getting better the last few nights, so hopefully it will continue to get better.

Bladder Pain - GYN said this is very normal and should subside within the next couple of weeks or so. He took a urine sample to test for an infection, however, because I do seem to be peeing a lot more frequently. Blood was also taken to test my hemoglobin level. After surgery, it was 7.8 or 78.

Dizziness - Again, could be due to the hormones or Lupron, but it ALSO is getting better, so I'm not too worried about it.

Mood - GYN said the the mood issues (which have been a bit better the last week or so) are also due to the hormones, Lupron and stress. I HAVE BEEN through the wringer the last few months especially, so I have to remember or relearn how to enjoy life again without all the worries and crying!

Swelly Belly - He didnt seem to think my belly was that bad, but I do. He said it will decompress in its own sweet time.

Exercise / Housework - I can return to all activities at a slow pace, not doing too much to soon.

Painful Belly - Apparently, the pain should be all gone in a year. A YEAR???? I guess the occasional tinge is to be expected, but a year???

Return to Work - I return on August 20th. Two more weeks.

Now this is the most amazing thing he said:

OVARIES SHOULD CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNTIL NATURAL MENOPAUSE TAKES PLACE.

What? My family Dr. told me that they will last five years at the most. I was so upset about this. But the GYN, who is a very prominent GYN in Toronto, said that his experience is that they will last as long as they were going to last before the hyst, and that I will go through menopause naturally. I HOPE SO!!!!

I have to say the last couple of days have been okay. Not great, but okay, well, maybe a little bit better than okay. We went to Niagara Falls for the day and although I was exhausted when we got home, I couldnt even imagine going to the park four weeks ago.

I guess time does heal. I hope I continue to get better and better and can say that the hyst was the right decision. I'm starting to feel that way, a little bit.

I hope all my sisters are doing better today than yesterday.

Despina
Unread 08-05-2007, 08:16 PM

Just wondering...anyone going back to work this week? I was 5 weeks post-op on Friday and my first official day back is Thursday. I'm a teacher, so I have poked in my room a couple of times already to get things ready, and I plan to go in on Tuesday and Wednesday to feel more prepared. I'm feeling really good lately, but I am nervous about returning to a full schedule. Anyone else going back soon???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Hi Dee,
I'm a teacher too and I'm now due back at work on the 14th August. Like you, I am quite nervous about coping with the full workload. I was due to go back today (the 6th) but last week aggravated a back injury - just by putting a plate in the dishwasher!)
I have just had the best weekend of my recovery as we went with friends and stayed in the city for 3 nights in a lovely apartment. We did all the "touristy"things you never get around to in your own city and realised what a beautiful and fun place it is. I was worried I would ruin it for everyone as I've had a lot of trouble with the back and also the usual hysterectomy issues of sheer exhaustion, cramps and worry about BM's.
However we did loads of walking, sightseeing, eating out etc etc and it felt so good to be back in the "real world" and know that I can get through a really full day. I am really tired and aching today (I will admit I probably overdid it!) but I'm going to keep increasing the walking all week and set the alarm each morning to prepare for next week.
I asked my doctor how to build up my stamina and she said to keep walking, walking and more walking, just a bit further each day without overdoing it.
Hope you cope well with going back this Thursday - let us know how it goes!
Best wishes for your recovery to everyone else
Helen
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrateacher
Just wondering...anyone going back to work this week? I was 5 weeks post-op on Friday and my first official day back is Thursday. I'm a teacher, so I have poked in my room a couple of times already to get things ready, and I plan to go in on Tuesday and Wednesday to feel more prepared. I'm feeling really good lately, but I am nervous about returning to a full schedule. Anyone else going back soon???
Hi Dee. I am a supervisor in a hospital laboratory and I am going back to work on Wednesday. I have been feeling pretty good for a couple of weeks so I should be okay. I brought in extra help for my first few days so that I can focus on my paperwork and keep me away from doing any of the physical aspects of my job. I am a bit nervous about returning too. Good luck with your return
Unread 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM

Hi Dee, If you have not already, you should go out for a "full day" and see how it goes. Like Helen, I did some touristy things near my town with dh (which was fun) and I got to see that a full day on my feet wasn't that bad. I was sure tired the next day though. I think that would be the hardest part, if I was going back to work...the days when I felt too tired to get up in the AM. I do think you will get back into the swing of things. That is the one thing that I really appreciate about being a teacher: when you are teaching, you aren;t thinking about anything else. Do you have a high stool? One of my friends who teaches math in the middle school where I used to work taught most of the day from a high stool in front of her white board.

Well, we are off for our Disneyland trip today! Just two days. I plan to do a lot of sitting, but also, having fun. I just wish more of my summer clothes fit! Oh well.

Kim
Unread 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi ladies-I haven't posted in a while because I have been busy trying to get ready for our trip to Bethesda and the National Institute of Health. I've been a little anxious about the trip but after the last few days I think I'll hold up alright, just be really tired and maybe a little sore. At least I hope so! We are already having problems with scheduling and my daughter's appointments and meds. Hopefully that will work out as well. Anyway, glad to hear everyone is doing so much better. It can only get better from here on out, Right!?! Anyway, I probably won't post until I get back, around the 12th. Then I have to go back out there the 17th and come home on the 20th and we have appts. all through August between my daughter and myself. Then school starts here after labor day, so hopefully we'll have at least one weekend when we can stay home. Good luck to all and hopefully everything is downhill from here.
Tweety
Unread 08-06-2007, 05:13 PM

I went to the dr today for my 6 weeks check-up. Can't believe it's been 6 weeks already. Dr did a physical exam of the incision on my abdomen, plus an internal exam. He poked around and said everything was healed. No pain with the exam, but there was some slight spotting afterward. He also said if I don't want to get with DH tonight, I'll have to claim a headache and can't blame my surgery anymore!

As for other physical activity, he told me to go ahead with all activities--gym, housework--just take it easy as I get stronger. He approved of my plan to work part-time for the next two weeks and then go full-time.

We also discussed hormones, and I'll get started soon. He delayed starting hormones for 6 weeks because of my endometriosis. He tried to get everything, of course, but wanted to delay starting hormones in case he missed some small endo cells. He said the lack of estrogen for the past 6 weeks would help starve any remaining endo cells.

He wants to see me again at 6 months post-op to make sure everything is still good and to check on my HRT. I'm to call earlier, of course, if I have any questions or concerns.

I feel as if I really turned a corner this weekend. As I think about my first two weeks after surgery, l'm much stronger and closer to my old self now.

Good luck to all of you!
Unread 08-06-2007, 09:21 PM

I went back in eight days. It was very hard, but I sit down all day - you have to stand - much harder.
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:37 AM

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a few days because I was traveling over the weekend. I am happy to say that despite TONS of walking and even some lifting, and sitting at a conference for 2 days, and even line dancing at the evening event, I feel GREAT. I was sooooo tired afterward though but today I feel great - almost (dare I say it) normal. I do still have a swollen feeling and little twinges here and there but I am amazed and how much I was able to do coming off of just about doing nothing for 5 weeks. What hit me the hardest was just how out of breath I got so easily so I guess it's time to get back in shape. I have my 6 week appt on Wednesday and hoping for good news. I do suspect I have a prolapse and some kind of yeast-like infection going on so I will see what she says, but overall I feel 1000 times better than even last week. Whew! Glad to hear others are feeling better too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register