Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 49 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 08-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Had my final check-up today, 6 weeks and 5 days (but who's counting?) post-op.

My incision, which split open after they removed my staples on Day 2, is 99% healed. Thought that gaping gash would never close, but it did.

Had an internal exam and the doc said everything looked great and I'm cleared for everything. (Baths, lifting, vacuuming and oh yeah, sex.) Hubby hasn't said much (he's the strong, repressed type) but he's had "that look" in his eye for awhile. I'm scared and not in the mood, but oh, well, it must be done.

My belly is one inch bigger than pre-op (had a soccer ball fibroid removed) and doc said that the swelly belly, as well as the ledge, could take 6-12 months to go away. Boo-hoo.

No change in my nail strength or dryness of skin, but at 56, I was 5 years post-menopausal.

I still don't have the consistent energy I did before the TAH/BSO, but I'm sleeping better. I'm having severe emotional sadness, but I think that's because of things my DD is doing.

I should go back in a year. Not for a Pap Smear (no cervix, no Pap test, by definition), but for belly palpation for who knows what and a vaginal exam. I guess it can get diseases too!

Want a giggle? I took DH for an endoscopy last week and he had a light anesthesia that did make him sleep and would impair his judgement for the next 12 hours. You're telling me. When they let me back into recovery with him, he blearily announced he was "cleared for sex!" then proceeded to try and talk me into it. Mind you, there were people all around us as the recovery area is simply a bunch of beds separated by curtains in a large room. A little embarassing. Guess the meds un-repressed him.

Speaking of which, my doc recommmended Astro-Glide for lubrication and I said "What a name for it" and she said, "Yeah it's for having sex with astronauts." Blast-off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 07:53 AM

Looks like most are doing pretty good, glad to see it. Had my check up on Monday, all is healing nicely and cleared for everything. The internal check up thankfully didn't hurt at all, felt like any other exam I've had.

Our "test drive" as hubby puts it went good!!! lol. No pain nor spotting, a little different feeling but I think its probably from being nervous. Time will tell for sure and practice of course.

Its amazing what a difference just a few days can make, over the weekend didn't feel very good then bam I feel for the first time more like the old me than ever.

More energy, can sleep w/o all the extra pillows and on my side again w/o that tugging feeling.

Not crazy about the dryness on my feet and face but its a payoff I can live with for not going into "labor" every 2 weeks to a month. No more worries about AF ruining plans. Yep its been worth it, glad I had it done.

Zelda, thats too funny about your hubby and the "cleared for sex".

Postive thoughts for everyone to continue to heal and be pain free.
Unread 08-15-2007, 05:58 PM

It has been 7 weeks today. I started back to work 3 days ago. Been pretty tough. Yesterday I was emotionally and physically draining. Today (Wednesday) was better. I hit a wall about 1:00. My DH and I talked that if I feel too overwhelmed at school when the kids are in the classroom (starting next week) not to overdo it and take 1/2 days or a day off to recuperate during these early times of the year. Yesterday he wasn't happy to see me in the shape that I was in when I came home. He is worried.

Other than being tired and not sleeping well at night and lack of energy (though I do take all of my vitamins) and crying at the drop of a hat, I am doing OK. I too think of my hysterectomy everyday and wonder will the thought ever go to my subconscience and not stay at the forefront of my mind?

It has been great having you all here helping me through this.....sending positive thoughts as you continue your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Tansie,
I'm working part-time before the students come back. Like you, I'm having trouble making it through the whole day. Some days are better than others. I hope we all get our energy back soon.
Unread 08-15-2007, 07:09 PM

I had my surgery 7 weeks ago today and I returned to work a week ago today. Before I returned to work I had tons of energy but now that I am back, I am exhausted when I get home. I hope my energy returns soon.
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Slept All Night

Yes!!!!!!

I slept from 11:00-4:30!!!!! . I didn't get up to go to the bathroom! I didn't get up to roam the house! I slept and the alarm actually awoke me!!! I am so happy!!!!!!! YESSSSS!!
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Live2read and donellda.
I thought I was just whining yesterday being so tired. I was being a wimp! Now, that I hear from both of you, I know how I am feeling is normal. Thanks for your support!

Yes, here's to us to get our energy back soon!!!
Have a GREAT day!!!
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:01 AM

I am a new "hyster sister" having an awful recovery because of complications. Had complete abdominal hysterectomy due to a mass on R ovary and ongoing pain on July 27th. Home on July 29th and readmitted that night after spiking a fever. Learned the next day that I had lost so much blood that I needed a transfusion. Did that and home 3 days later thinking things were finally on the mend. Next day-I'm gushing a river of pee all over myself. Doctor started Detrol LA and said I'd have to wait 3 weeks and we'd put a sling in. One week and 100 DEPENDS later, I'm back in the office with my ob and he's telling me I have a fistula that is going to need surgery. Catheterized me and sent me to a urologist who said be ready for a slow process...Going tomorrow for more tests to see how big this fistula thing is and determine what procedure will fix it. I am on leave without pay from a decent paying job. We just bought a house in October of last year. The day I came home from my readmit to the hospital our air conditioning died-then our septic pump died and had to be replaced. Even though the urologist said it is a rare complication of abdominal hysterectomy, the surgeon who did my surgery (not my regular OB) is pretty new out of med school. My husband is a wreck and for once I'm glad my kids would rather go to friend's houses! Thanks for being a sounding board...I feel a little relief just from getting that off my chest!
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:10 AM

laffinncryin,

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through, sounds like a nasty roller costa ride, but I'm glad that your dr has a path of recover for all the extra things that you require. (my dr surprised me with a sling during my TVH A,P and peri repair, so I can atleast tell you that when you have one they are really good)

It wounds like you have been through alot and it is pretty poor you were sent home in such a condition, but hoping your on the road to recovery now, I have found that there is always someone around to listen.

my thoughts and best wishes are with you for now a sound recover!!!

Kerrie
Unread 08-16-2007, 05:37 PM

laffinncryin,
I'm so sorry that you have had such a complicated recovery. Best wishes to you and your recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register