Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

Unread 07-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jun 25-Jul 02,2007

My TVH w/ anterior cysocele/prosterior retrocele & mesh sling was 6/29/07. I am exactly one week out of surgery. Yesterday was my follow-up appt. w/ Dr. & hadn't had a BM at the time. Dr. told me to get off the narcotic pain meds ASAP to help bowels start move. My biggest pain is in the butt (from the pelvic floor reconstruction) and he told me to take Aleve and that I can also take Tylenol. Bowel movements started right after Dr. appt, I started taking Ex-lax (along w/ the prescribed stool softener I had already been taking).

I'm having problems with insomnia the last couple of days... so I'm resting but not napping. I took Aleve & Tylenol PM to get to sleep last night and it worked. You sleep so much better when NOT taking narcotic pain relievers. I think sleeping only comes when NOT in pain...

I did my first "out & about" trip this afternoon w/ my 18 yr old son. Dr. cleared me for driving. My son drove the first 10 minutes and after that, I decided I would survive only if I was the one driving. Just a little pain driving, but nothing more than the normal daily pain I'm in. We were out about 2 1/2 hours, including a Walmart "grocery shopping" stop. Son lifted and carried, I sat on a bench while he went through the check out line. I sure was hurting by the time we got in the car, so we came home and I'm resting.

My pain is 50% less today than it was yesterday. I hope that is a continuing trend. It might depend on finding the right med cocktail of Aleve & Tylenol.

My husband has to drive 3 hours to Raleigh & then 3 hours home to pick up our daughter tomorrow. I wasn't going to go, but am feeling so much better that I think I will. She goes back to Raleigh on Tuesday and I think I'll let her drive up and then I'll drive home by myself. We'll see.

Housework: Loaded dishes, folded laundry, cleaned out bathroom cabinet, cleaning out closet (very slowly, no lifting). Dr. said I can vacumm if it doesn't hurt.

Slight incisional "ooze", but Dr. says there's no infection. It's slightly bloody, and seems to be more when I'm moving around too much. Anyone else have this problem? I have 6 incisions, along the sides of my crotch. They weren't stitched, but glued.

I love this board, to see how things are going with everyone. If I have a question, I find the answers here, instead of having to call the Dr. I know each person is different in how they heal, and what kind of surgery, age, etc. But it helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2007, 02:50 PM

PattiJoA: If you go to Raleigh you will only be about 45 min from me. You had alot more work than I did and the dr has cleared you much sooner than mine will. I am unsure why but I will not be going to my follow-up until next friday June 13. I hope your trip goes well and remember not to overdo yourself.
Unread 07-07-2007, 04:55 AM

Well I did it! It wasnt all that bad the worst was my neck and shoulders. They removed tons of scar tissue and repaired a hemmoraging blood vessel. We didnt expect any of that. So I am very sore. NO major pain just some aggravating discomfort. And looking like I am pregnant with a swelly belly! I go to the DR for post Op on Monday. I am looking for a good report they are doing CVC to make sure there is no more hemmoraging. I dont think there is I feel pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2007, 12:47 PM

PattiJoA - I had all the proceedures you did, the Dr. ended up fixing the side walls of the vagina also though. My post op will be on Monday. I have not had any narcotics since coming home. Take tylinol or Ibiprophin if needed. I am hoping to be released for more activity Monday, but who knows.

I have not had any pain whatsoever in the areas that were fixed. The pain was when I had gas or needed to have a bm.. Tailbone pain. It has been hard for me to remember not to do things as I sometimes forget that I just had major surgery.

It sounds like everyone is coming along good. Must have been a good week for getting this done.

I was cleared for driving when I came home as I didn't require any pain meds.

good luck ladies.

Brenda
Unread 07-07-2007, 01:35 PM

I week post op now and I feel still like crap.

Its hard to get comfortable so I cant sleep. I feel exhausted and just sit around / lie around bored.

I have had a headache nearly everyday, and that doesnt help.

BMs have been fine, but peeing is still weird. Just feels like I've been holding it forever and after its empty, I feel kinda crampy.

My incision is okay, still stitched with surgical tape over it.

No internal stitches yet, although a little bit of spotting with each wipe (no need for panti liner or anything though).

After suffering for so long, I just want to feel better...

Am I asking for too much too soon?
Unread 07-07-2007, 03:51 PM

dscoochie, I'm right there with you. I have been down on myself for how bad I'm still feeling. There's no way I can go w/o the pain pills right now. I took only one at 2pm and that barely helped anything! I'm keeping busy for a few more minutes when I can go take more! Peeing for me has been wierd too. Stop and go and then crmaping during/after. Not burning or anything like an infection but it's still uncomfortable. BM's are shotty at best. Nothing completely normal there yet either. I can't imagine how it would be to go w/o any pain meds right now.. I envy those who can! Hope you start feeling better soon!!
Unread 07-07-2007, 05:31 PM

One week post TAH and I'm feeling great.

I've reached an important milestone: I can now blow my nose without screaming in pain!

Laughing however is not getting any easier.

Saw my DR for a checkup yesterday and everything is progressing fine (e.g., no bleeding, pain starting to ease, incision healing well). I'm just having a hard time being patient. I want off the pain meds now, but can't quite survive without my 600mg of Ibuprofren every 6 hours.

dscoochie and df323, sounds like things are rough for you two. Hope your pain subsides soon princesses!
Unread 07-07-2007, 05:57 PM

To all the frustrated princesses,
Our bodies are all different and will heal at their own pace. Some of us are up and around but may take longer to heal totally. Some of us are still barely scraping by, but when we're healed, we'll be completely healed because we've taken the time to do it right. Please don't feel bad for needing pain pills, I need them but HATE the way they make me feel, so I'm suffering through it...not fun for me or my dh!! Relax and let your bodies heal, it will happen when it's supposed to
Unread 07-07-2007, 07:57 PM

Kris,

Don't feel bad...I'm still on my pain meds and my surgery was June 25th. I've cut back to 1 or 2 Vicoden a day. Today after all the activity of driving and getting in and out of the SUV I came home and felt so uncomfortable. I tried the Ibuprofen, but it wasn't helping so I took my only pain med and I'm much better this evening. I really am pampering myself too. I shut the door to my bedroom, and watch movies and relax. My son comes in to watch with me. It's real nice to have this time to be with him too. I know when I am better, which I'm no where near right now, I am going to be a new woman and stronger physically and emotionally for all that I've been through. This has definitely been a challenging experience.
Keep up the good work in your recovery and looking out for your own well being. We're all in this together!

Linda
Unread 07-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Regarding Post Ops

I've been reading the thread for a couple of days and seeing how some of you have some guilt about taking or still taking pain meds. It's given me pause to ponder.

I think we, as women, put so much on ourselves. We are the caregivers, we are the organizers, and while the men in some of our lives live as though they are in charge of the whole ball game, even they have the core knowledge that without the woman in his life, life would cease to know order, meaning or much else.

No matter what our position in life, who we're with, families or not, we, as women, we put a lot of responsibility on ourselves, it's our nature to have control over the gears that turn our every day lives.

I think the fact that we must recuperate, we must take it easy, a.k.a. letting someone else take the wheel, is hard enough on all of us. When we don't feel that we're coming along as fast as we have set it up in our minds that we should, or not coming along as fast as someone else, we are beating ourselves up, seeing it as a weakness and we don't like it, at all! We don't have control. That's a huge emotional dilemma.

This is just how I feel about it. I don't pretend to know for sure, but I believe that pain tolerance is something you're born with. It has everything to do with the way your brain receives the messages and the reactions to it. It is as individual as your thumbprint. There is no scale or "norm" to it. I have a pretty good tolerance for pain, my daughter has next to none. It isn't something to be admired for or looked down upon for, that is societal poo poo!

My thoughts are, heal as you are going to heal. You were given pain meds for a reason, for you to take when you are in pain! Eventually, we will all arrive on the same shore, healed and pain med free.

I'm *smiling* right now because I'm reminded of the potty training days. People with children comparing the kids to see who is, who isn't potty trained and how women took it as a personal reflection on the quality of their mothering. More societal poo poo! When they all boarded the bus for kindergarten, they were all wearing big boy and girl panties!!

Take your time ladies, don't try to compare yourself or your bodies to anyone else. We are all different but we will all find ourselves at the same place in time.

Much love and hugs to all the ladies recuperating. The goal is good health. How you get there is your individual journey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register