How long does swelly-belly last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does swelly-belly last? How long does swelly-belly last?

Unread 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
How long does swelly-belly last?

Hi, all, I had my total hyst. lapor. and vag. with a bladder sling, Im 2 weeks post op, I had had a transflap for breast cancer 8 months befor hand, so Ive had swelly belly for almost a year now, when does it go away? the pressure cramps, no one told me about this, and gas pains, that too, maybe Im doing too much, walking around alittle doing some laundry and small amounts of cooking, I have a 5 year old and need to take care of him too, but over all Im restingstill alot, I do have help. I am wearing my compression garment that helps so much, I just dont want to feel 7 months pregant anymore. I know its only been 2 weeks but, I thought it would be easier vag, and lap. I still have about 6 little insicisions. I know everything was taken out, but Id love to hear how long to expect this?
thanks sheree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 08:25 PM

I'm 58 and had same lapriscopic asst. vag. hyster. with cystocele bladder repair - 1 wk post op. Doc says 8-10 wks total recovery so i don't plan on a flatter belly till then -- anxious to get back to the gym tho--doing little things around the house - lite dish washing, laundry, etc - i use a "grabber stick" for everything i need to pick up off the floor or if i drop something - a great gizmo---taking only Ex. Strength Tylenol for crampy tummy aches- doesn't knock out the pain but takes the edge off--have to rest a lot--NO energy--1st shower wiped me out--1st BM made me want to yell out "FINALLY !" I heard that it takes 1-2 weeks for all the anesthesia to clear out of your body- thus that drained feeling-- does anyone know when they feel up to riding in a car (doc said its ok after 1 wk) and going to a movie - sitting in a comfy theatre- but what about climbing stairs? I feel the need to get out of the house after 7 days!
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:09 PM

Classecuts-
I too have had the swelly belly and terrible gas pains. I had a tah 06/11/07. Gas-X is a lifesaver for the gas pains. I took it religiously for three or four days and it really relieved my gas pains. Now I only take occacsionally, try it for yourself. I have a question about the compression bandage-is it really worth it? I thought about ordering one because my abdomen gets so tired and aches by the end of the day. Do you ever go without yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty50s
I'm 58 and had same lapriscopic asst. vag. hyster. with cystocele bladder repair - 1 wk post op. Doc says 8-10 wks total recovery so i don't plan on a flatter belly till then -- anxious to get back to the gym tho--doing little things around the house - lite dish washing, laundry, etc - i use a "grabber stick" for everything i need to pick up off the floor or if i drop something - a great gizmo---taking only Ex. Strength Tylenol for crampy tummy aches- doesn't knock out the pain but takes the edge off--have to rest a lot--NO energy--1st shower wiped me out--1st BM made me want to yell out "FINALLY !" I heard that it takes 1-2 weeks for all the anesthesia to clear out of your body- thus that drained feeling-- does anyone know when they feel up to riding in a car (doc said its ok after 1 wk) and going to a movie - sitting in a comfy theatre- but what about climbing stairs? I feel the need to get out of the house after 7 days!

I am 15 days out and went to the movies today. The theater has the kind of seats that rock and recline a bit so i was comfy the whole time. I sat pretty close to the front,so I didn't have to climb a bunch of stairs. I still have that wiped & fuzzy feeling, especially after being up on my feet for a while. Can't wait for that to go away!
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Nifty50s,
My doc told me when I was released from the castle that I could climb stairs, just be careful not to fall (going up or coming down). Take your time and you should be fine.

Jenn
TAH, 6/11/07, enlarged uterus, many fibroids, bladder tack, kept ovaries.
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:17 PM

Classecuts: I am 5 weeks out from a LAVH and I still have swelly belly. It gets worst at the end of the day especially if I have done too much. My understanding is that the swelling could last 6 months or longer. I had the gas pains too for about 2 weeks. I needed to walk after every meal or else I would be doubled over. That has subsided so there is light at the end of the tunnel! Best wishes and sending your way!
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:39 AM

jjmc.
Definitly get that compression garment, You can get them anywhere, but I got mine at my my dr. office,after my transflap surgery. But It helps so-- much I wear it all the time 24 hrs. unless,sometimes Ill take it off to sleep, and even then I find in hard not to turn on my sieds without it, it seems like my tummy will fall out., and I heard it will go down fastertoo by wearing it.and surprising enough, it dosent take up too much room when you wear clothes, its kind of like a soft girdle.My advise, is I couldnt be without it myself, I always wear mine, even better believe it when you go to the bathroom, it controls the pressure.So getone for sure, good luck

sheree
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:44 AM

So if I want to go buy a dress for my daughter's wedding in October it might be safe to say that i could look forward to fitting into a size 8 by then? I had my TAH/BSO on 11 June....
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:52 AM

SCARED03
iVE HAD SWELLY belly for 1 year now because of some past surgery on my tummy, I had double mascectomy with reconstruction transflap so think of your whole stomach taken off and having no muscles at all, then lyposuction 3 months later for some more reconstruction, the only great thing is I got a tummy tuck out of it, and great natural boobs.Now this hyst, set me back another year with swbelly I guess, its awful, always feeling 7 months pregan tand yes especially at the end of the day, sometimes my tummy gets so hard it difficult to breath, because it presses on your ribs and lung. the gas has gotten better, walking is the best thing for that too.and I couldnt get through a day without the compression garment, that helps the best, wear that as long as you can, and as often, I wear mine 24 hours a day, it helps so much,
goodluck, I know it gets better it just takes time.

sheree
Unread 06-29-2007, 11:51 AM

lucia
well I dont know what size you normally are, but I think you should be alright, go and get yourself spanks its that hold in panty no line thing SPANX THEY HAVE THEM AT ALL THE DEPARTMENT STORES IN THE UNDERWEAR DEPT.O a girdle type panty, I find they help alot, and you dont have to wear the compression garment that night, take a easy dancing , remember the more you do, the more you eat, the more you drink, your belly will swell, have a great time and dont worry, congradulations!

sheree

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register