Recovering without pain meds? Recent recovering addict | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovering without pain meds? Recent recovering addict Recovering without pain meds? Recent recovering addict

Unread 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Recovering without pain meds? Recent recovering addict

I have just recently decided to stop taking pain meds because I was sick of being sick every time I ran out. Now I'm scared to death of going through withdrawals again after my TVH/bladder sling surgery. Has anyone gone through this with no pain meds at all? I just know it's going to be sooo hard to not take them when it will be so easy to rationalize. Part of me feels like I am looking forward to this "optional" surgery just for the drugs. I know this isn't a addict site but there are alot of us out there so I figured someone might know what I'm going through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM

I don't know about the addict thing but I don't think this is possible to recover without any kind of pain meds. I am almost 2 weeks out from a TAH and am still taking something for the pain, not as often as the first week as the pain is less now. Have you talked to your DR about this? This is not a pain free thing. The pain is controlable though. You should have a plan before you go in for the surgery. Hope this helps some.
Good luck!

Lynnette
Unread 06-29-2007, 07:36 PM

I have not told them about my addiction but I did tell them at my pre-op (was not off the meds then) about how I have a high tolerance to meds because of my longterm usage for "legitimate" reasons. It's amazing that they don't realize anyone whose been on pain meds for years is going to be an addict!. So if anything they are going to be giving me a huge dosage and I'm so scared I won't be able to say no if I don't need it. I'm even more scared to tell them about my problem and then have them refuse to give me anything. For the surgery they want to do a morphine spinal that will be left in for 24 hours so my understanding is that it doesn't go into your bloodstream so I won't get "high" from that. Maybe after the 24 hours I will be ok with just OTC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:10 PM

I had a LAVH, without the sling, and I didn't need pain meds when I got home from the hospital. I used ibprofen and it worked just fine. My doc told me that the nerves on the vaginal cuff are not sensitive-there is actually little feeling in that area at all. This is where most of your stiches will be. I had some cramping here and there and some pulling sensations, but all in all I really felt like I didn't have major surgery. I now have an ovarian cyst and am in way more pain that I had after my surgery. Now, I'm not sure about adding the sling into the procedure. I would ask your doc about how his other patients usually handle the procedures. The morphine spinal is a great choice for you. I hear it works great. Also, when I was in the hospital, the Torodal shots worked better for me than the morphine. It is an anti-inflammatory that is not a narcotic. I was my best friend. You should ask your doc about it. I think they might be able to prescribe it to you when you go home, or something that works just as well. Good luck sweetie...I hope everything goes well for you. I'll keep you in my prayers!!
Unread 06-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Thanks! I really just need to be super honest with the docs. Deep down inside I wish my husband would stand up and tell the docs about my problem but I know that's a cop out on my part. I just need to be strong, fight my cravings and really think about whether I'm in physical or mental pain.
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:03 PM

I think you are being wise to think about this ahead of time and brave to be honest with your doctors. I certainly didn't do it drug free, but I went pretty light on the drugs. I had the one shot of morphine in the spine then toradol in my iv. After just over 24 hours, I had one percoset every 6 hours until about the second day I was home. Then it was just OTC ibuprofin and tylenol for about a week. I may have had a percoset at night one or two nights. I haven't had anything except vitamins and antibiotic for two weeks.

If there are no complications, you can do it with minimal drugs. Don't count on it being completely drug free, but if you let the doctor know your fears, he'll be able to help you find something reasonable. I think you are right about just needing to be completely honest with them. I don't think they will allow you to be in severe pain, but they should be sensitive about your needs too.

Unread 06-29-2007, 09:16 PM

Sandra, I had an LAVH/BSO and only took the percocet for a couple of days (mostly in the hospital) and switched over to Ibuprofin. I didn't like the way the percocet made me feel. After a couple of days I was only taking the ibuprofin before bed, and if I happened to "over-do it". I'm now 18 days post op and really don't need anything. If I do too much activity, tylenol is taking care of any discomfort I have.
Good luck. I think the best plan is to be honest with your Dr. I will say that the worst pain I had was gas pain! Walking, a good diet, stool softener and help from milk of magnesia helped that move.

I had hoped to have a tvt, which was a last minute request at pre-op after talking to Dr., but insurance approval didn't reach me before my surgery. Things have been better since the surgery, but, I'm not hopping around much at the current time. Oh well, Dr. said tvt would only be a 30 minute out-patient surgery and I'd be home by the evening. But she doesn't want to do it for several months.

Again, good luck Sandra
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Recovering without pain meds

I had my LAVH and bladder sling almost 6 weeks ago. I had Toradol i.v. and some morphine immed. post-op; came home 24 hours after surgery and just took Ibuprofen. Started with 800 mgs, but was able to work my way down to 200 or 400 pretty quickly as I have reflux.

If you decide to talk to the drs. about your problem, remember-- they have heard and seen everything! You won't be the first patient they've had with a pain med problem. I have a friend who is a recovering alcoholic and she was worried about pain med addiction too. She talked to her dr. before her hysterectomy and turned out she was very supportive and helped her plan what to do.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:55 PM

Tell your doctor that you are worried because you are afraid you are addicted to pain meds. If s/he can find out from you what they were, then better ones can be recommended.

I've been in successful recovery for almost 12 years; a friend of mine had about 4 years and went thru a hyst in March. She said to not worry about the morphine, as it is short term. I had no problems.

Also, I was given a type of suppository instead of a pre-op epidural. You might ask about that.

And yes, docs have heard everything. Honesty is your best policy and you will feel so RELIEVED when you have told them what was up, and what you are really concerned about now.

You go, girl!
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:05 PM

thank you everyone! I hope I still feel this emotionally strong when the day comes. In the middle of a major stressful event is not the best time to be stopping an addiction but I just can't keep doing this off and on roller coaster. It's only been a few days since my last dosage and I'm pretty much through with the withdrawals so now my mind is playing tricks on me (thinking it's ok, I can handle it, the w/d's weren't really that bad). The real test will be when it's time for my next refill....(different doctor). Thanks again everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register