Pain Management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Management Pain Management

Unread 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Pain Management

I had my TVH A & P on 6/29/07 and wanted to share my experience with pain management, in case it might help someone else.
I was on a morphine drip (with the little button to push when I needed it) and wish I had used something else. I was wheeled into my room around 4 pm and was feeling pretty good up until the time I asked for the morphine drip. First off, the morphine made me itch ALL OVER. I could only sleep for about 15 minutes at a time all night because of the itching. Then there was the naseau. I was okay untill they asked me to move. I could get out of bed, but by the time I would get back into the bed, I was severely naseaus and did finally throw up. I asked for the morphine because of cramps and back ache, which it took care of. But, instead, I suffered from muscle spasms (bladder and intestinal) all night long, which also kept me awake.

I was glad I sent my husband home because he would have been up all night, suffering along with me, needlessly. If I had to do it over, I would NEVER use morphine. It got to the point I stopped pushing the button because it just wasn't worth it.

I did use a heating pad for the back ache and they started giving me other pain meds like torodol (sic). The anti-naseau stuff they gave me didn't work.

Right now (at the castle), I'm on Percoset and they've given me an anti-naseau pill to go along with it. I'm not feeling naseaus with the Percoset, but am having lots of gas and heartburn. That's probably due to not having a BM yet. The anti naseau stuff to go with the Percoset makes me drowsy (I'm already sleeping 20 hours a day WITHOUT it), so I really don't want to take it.

By the way, taking Tums for the heartburn/gas makes it impossible to take my Anti-infection med and iron pill.

It's a vicious cycle!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Pain Management

I do not do well on morphine also. It makes me very nauseous and I learned that the hard way with my gallbladder surgery. This time I had Demerol in my IV. It took 50mg as 25mg still had pain and nausea. As soon as the 50mg of Demerol kicked in, my pain and nausea was gone instantly. The anti-nausea drugs did nothing for my nausea. I'm now taking Vicodin as Percocet causes nausea for me as well. Good luck to you. I feel for you.
Unread 07-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Pain Management

I had some trouble with my pain medication - I had allergic reaction to it and it was over a week before I got really good pain medication and then I didn't need it so much! (Murphy's Law).

I had a combo of Morphine and Torodol right after the surgery and while I did itch - it burned me like liquid fire in my veins particularly my feet. I had Benadryl to help with the symptoms but when the doctor and nurses saw my feet - they were a bit concerned - they were RED on the top and the bottom.

Oddly enough - at the 6 weeks mark - my skin is still pealing from reaction to the medication at the hospital.

About the gas and heartburn - I didn't have that unless I consumed foods that I wasn't supposed to. My doctor is a long time surgeon and it's like - he knows what to do and when to do it - and what not to do. A nurse mistakenly told someone that I could have a popsicle. I took a couple of bites and immediately got sick - I found out later and my doctors patients are not allowed to have that type of food until a certain time. If my doctor's orders had been followed precisely - I would not have had very little trouble with nausea. He deliberately prescribed Low Residue and Low Fiber foods for me for several weeks and I obeyed.

At the 4 week mark, I had broccoli on a baked potatoe and suffered pains from gas under my incision almost so bad that I had to take pain medicine. I kept moving on the bed until it got out from under my incision and I was alright then.

All I know to say - is if you are still having problems - keep after the doctor. I hope it turns around and goes better for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Pain Management

I Tried Ultracet....not Really Good Pain Relieve But Combined With Motrin Did A Fair Job. I Really Didn't Have Trouble With The Vicodin But You Can Only Take So Much Of That Stuff. They Used Dauladid In My Pump And I Got Really Good Relief. I Had A Little Itching But Not Like I Had On Morphine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register