Morphine Pump | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morphine Pump Morphine Pump

Unread 07-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Morphine Pump

I was doing quite well until I went for my pre op appointment yesterday . The bowel prep was a surprise but I will get through that okay, but when they showed me how to work a morphine pump, it shaked me up a little. In my mind, I had been through a C-section, and thought that maybe this surgery, TAH, was going to be a little like that. To my surprise, my doctor told me that it would be quite a bit different...

For those who have had a TAH, did you have and need a morphine pump after surgery?

And to all those who have shared on this site.. I appreciate your thoughts, they have helpped me to know that I am not crazy worring about everything from the house , cooking and my kids for the next two weeks or so.

Ladybugging
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Morphine Pump

Morphine didn't work so well on me so they put a different pain killer, but, yes, I needed the pump. It set my mind at ease knowing I would not need to wait for the nurses to bring me the pain med if I was needing it. They only left it in for a day or two. But it was sure nice to have.
Unread 07-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Morphine Pump

Hey ladybugging, after having 2 c-sections and a TAH on 5/7, I would definiately say the TAH was totally different. I had a morphine pump and it worked okay. Just please prepare yourself mentally, I went into this thinking it was a c-section and I think I would have handled the pain before if I was prepared. Best of luck and you will be fine. There is lots of information on this site that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Morphine Pump

Hi lady, yep I had a TAH/BSO and indeed have the morphine pump and YES I did need it. Like daff said it was nice to have it in hand and not need to wait for the nurses when I hurt Only had it for one day, then it was percodan pills as needed for pain every 4-6 hours. As well as motrin every 6 hours. I'm 10 days post-op today and still need to take my pain pills, they make doing things more bearable as my tummy is still very sore.

I had back surgey 12 yrs ago, and it shocked me that this TAH has hit me harder than that one for the first week. I wasn't expecting how sore my stomach would be, main thing is to hold onto your stomach when getting up, walking, ect... for a while.

Good luck on the 11th. Keep in mind though there will be pain and discomfort in time you will be feeling much better.
Unread 07-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Morphine Pump

The morphine pump was great...I was in my room about 3 pm the day of my surgery, and used my last dose the next day about 1 pm - a "just in case" one.

It will only give you one dose every so often even if you press the button, so no overdose worries.

However, in the wee small hours I semi-woke for another dose - I was a bit clumsy with the button, and instead of a single "beep", it did a rapid "bpbpbp". OMG I thought...did THAT send a bunch into me????

Anyway, I came through no problem. The morphine can give you headaches, as can the anesthetic. Just ask for and drink lots of water (I got a diet Ginger Ale too!), it will really help.
Unread 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Morphine Pump

Hey Arly3, no worries on pushing the button. The dr. asked the nurse to check my pump on her first visit which was 5 hours post op. I had pushed it 155 times in 2 hours. Yep, only gave me 11 shots an hour. Wish someone would have said something about that before hand. Would have saved me a bunch of pushing
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Morphine Pump

I was hesitant about the pump - I work in alcohol and drug addiction - so I was thinking I might end up like some of my clients! BUT it was the best thing....I was hitting the button only when I needed and the nurses were quite surprised that I wasn't just blasting my way through my "allotment" of morphine. By the 3rd day in hospital I hitting the button maybe 3 times total and that was basically after I had been up and walking around the nurses station and then climbing back into bed. Everyone has different level of pain tolerance - mine is pretty high which I guess is a good thing. I say try the pump - if it doesn't work or feel right for you then try something else. My doc is very good about managing pain and I am soooo happy I have him.
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Morphine Pump

I can't do the morophine so they game me a different kind of pump with I think it was called Dauludid in it, I was able to push it every 6 minutes. My surgery was late in the afternoon and the next morning I had a nurse tell me she was removing the pump and they were going to put me on pills. I called my husband crying! I told the nurse you better check again because my dr said I could keep this until the next morning (36 hrs total) she gave me the dirtiest look and walked out, when she came back in she didn't say aword just checked everything and walked out. When my dr came in later I told him what she tried to do and he said yeah I know "wrong room" SCARY! The pump worked good, I had no headache or anything. I pushed it as often as I could ( liked to push it when that nurse came in ) when they did switch me to the pills those worked good too. Best thing is to push the button right before you move or get up to walk. Drink lots of water!

Good luck! You will love the pump. It will all be ok!
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Morphine Pump

When my DH had back surgery 2 months ago, he had a pump. I didn't realize there was a possibility that I could have one, too. I am learning so much from you ladies. I'm glad a friend of mine sent me here. Gotta love those happy drugs.
Unread 07-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Morphine Pump

Jtwilliams, it's a good thing that a person can't overdose on the pump or we would be in trouble. The nurse told me in the first hour alone I pushed mine 207 times. I can barely even remember the first hour. I wonder if I was laying on it. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register