Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Unread 07-17-2007, 06:21 PM
You all are so helpful!

Your stories are helping me SO MUCH! And I am really taking to heart the messages about taking it easy.
I had a TAH with LSO on July 9 for fast-growing painful fibroids. I was scheduled for only a TAH but found out just 3 days before surgery that if any of my endo was present and causing problems with my ovaries that they would have to go, too. Talk about a crash course in learning about surgical menopuase! As it happened, my MD did take one ovary because the largest fibroid was obstructing it and he couldn't remove my uterus without taking the ovary. No endo in sight, fortunately.
Now I am out of my drug-induced haze and feeling pretty good. The pain is manageable with Motrin occasionally. I have had a lot of trouble with headaches - maybe spinal headaches from my epidural? But today is my first headache-free day! So I am celebrating by lying down and ignoring everything but the cat and DH because they, unlike dirty laundry, can climb up on the bed.
I only found this site Sunday and didn't realize how alone and clueless I felt until then. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennice41
I am a little lost. I think that my dr. was great, but I don't understand how everyone is talking about what was removed and how long the surgery.... It was good to hear what they said, but I want to talk to doc myself since all of them have different stories.
Jennice41 - I talked to my MD each day in the hospital and I'm still not sure what all he said. He did make a drawing for me and I've looked at it MANY times but it's still unclear. Was the fibroid the size of a grapefruit or more like a bagel? I have no idea. Did he remove the ovary on HIS left or mine. I asked him that two days in a row, according to my DH
Give yourself the benefit of the doubt because your body has been traumatized and the pain meds really mess with your memory. When I went for my checkup on Friday I couldn't remember which vehicle we took to the MDs office! I am still having trouble remembering things but it's getting better. Write down every question and take them with you to your checkup. You could even ask if you can fax or email your questions before-hand so your MD or his nurse have some answers when you arrive - it might be worth a try. Take care - you really are getting stronger every day.
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Elefante64

I totally understand what you are telling me. I'm sorry if I made you feel like you had to explain yourself. Just the fact that you luv this Dr. enough as your gyno to trust him with your surgery speaks to how good he his. I was trying to make you feel better about having to wait 2 weeks for more results. Some Dr.'s are so careful about waiting for results that you feel more anxious by what they are not telling you. Hope the time goes fast for you. Keep feeling good...stronger every day is the plan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2007, 07:15 PM

To Rookscoobs - Love your Strong Faith! You have been through a tough time and I'm hoping the worst is behind you now. Keep strong!
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
One-Week PO today

Hi everyone,
Made my trip to the castle on July 10th and I'm doing very well. I had the staples removed today and feel I have more mobility. Have not taken pain meds since two days after the surgery. Had a little problem with hot flashes due to immediate menopause but am now on HRT and that seems to have solved the problem. Best thing so far, lower back pain when I walk is gone! Thanks to this website and all the wonderful Ladies here, I knew what to expect and I felt calm through the whole thing. Thank you Ladies for your kindness and support.
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:08 AM

Hi Mimi, glad to hear from you and pleased all is well with you.

8 days post op now, I am up and about all day but had chk up yesterday and probably overdoing it a bit as feel really pulled - not helped by tickly cough and sneezing with the sand and dust here!

Amazed at how well I feel. Still on yucky iron and heavier dose as lot a lot of blood in the op...so as soon as HB level is up again then I am sure will feel great.

Pleased you have company - that helps. I am watching mindless dvds..which is fun and having visitors most days. My husband is able to work from home a lot so making things easier.

Temp is 49 deg thats the offical recording but probably 5-6 degrees hotter but they will never confirm temp over 50 as labour laws state workers cannot work in that heat. We had a scare with the airconditioning going off for a couple of hours...phew that was hot!

Take good care of yourself and keep in touch

Hugs xxxxx
Unread 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM

Hi, have been doing really well...but for the last day and a half in a lot of pain and wondering if I have overdone it and pulled something. Has anyone else got a sickening griping pain just below incision. I feel as I am not too good at pulling myself up that I may have strained and pulled something as the pain is now worse than one day post op..and I can feel a lump underneath the scar when I walk that isn't on the other side.

I would phone the Consultant, but its not so easy here..language and culural barrier and only saw her yesterday and she said I was fine and I did try to mention this strange pain. It really makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach type pain.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar??

Thanks, Tracy
Unread 07-18-2007, 06:27 AM

Good Morning All!!!!

Yes! Another day is here!...Each night (today day 7 postop) I make it further into the night...only getting up once now! Although that is to bed late and up early but making progress sleeping thru night! Haven't tried sleeping on stomach yet cause still on couch at night but that will be the ticket to all night! Getting staples out tomorrow so will try tomorrow night! They are driving me crazy, so itchy...incision looks great! Insides feel great!

Bowels are slowest to improve in my case...I can feel 100% then bammm deep pressure, stop, bent over,hold still, hold breath, lift leg,and then a teenie teenie little poof of air for all that then complete relief...How rediculous!!!!!!LOL!!!Afterward have to laugh at myself! But fewer and further inbetween each day! Wow bowels are p*ssed at me, but they are going to have to get over it cause I needed to help out their neighbor

As far as me with info. from OBGYN he is also my surgeon, Sad to say but I only went to one OBGYN since having my 3rd child (she is now 16yrs old) and only seen him for like 2 months for cramps and like my entire life no relief so quit going...Up until my last period which sent me to the ER in cramps from h*ll, they refered me to this OBGYN so first time I met him was less than 1 month ago...he sent for ultrasound results from ER, examined me and said "you are ready" I would like you to not go thru another period...so felt like I was back in college cramming for an exam!!! Very little warning for work, but they are wonderful and got all my papers together for Short-term disability and everything fell into place...that 1st day meeting with him I set up my surgery date (said get date before 28 days from now). He explained things so well in short time and I felt so comfortable with him and trusted his every word...

He basically point blank said "You are 47, painful periods all your life, 3 teenagers, multiple issues with uterus, one ovary obviously needs to go, within a few short years of menopause anyway, unless you want to chance a year or two down the road going thru the rest of the procedure, I highly recommend taking everything...I agreed & signed a dotted line so to speak. We agreed to TAH/BSO 1st born was emergency c-section and said he prefers to thru old scar and get straight to the chaise cause knew he would need room to navigate to throughly get to uterus if attached to things!

So here I am a little less than one month later and almost wanna give him a big hug tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talked to him twice in the hospital but like everyone else think I was too out of it...he assured me everything went as planned and we'd talk at my 1 week visit for staple removal! I was thinkin bout takin a percocet (which by the way have not even opened by bottle of them) just in case staples hurt but thinkin I better keep a clear head so I catch the information correctly this time LOL!

Wow ramblin...sorry, if you're all like me it's time filling right?

I didn't even know all the stuff got sent out for path results ~ DAAAHHH!

The look on his face when I had my initial exam was priceless when he asked "last time I was seen by a GYNO, "um like 2 months in 16 years" and when he asked and your last mamogram was? (Like he knew what was coming) my answer ~ never had one...imagine his look! I think that told him right there and then he better fix me up good cause I may be gone again til 80 something! LOL

The main question I have for him (if he could tell?) how close to menopause or was I kinda in (?) He sent me home with estrogen only and told to take 1,200 calcium...as of yet no sign of feeling any different...I've heard when both ovaries go you immediately jump into symptoms...(?) but I have never been the norm (if there's any such thing) anyway!

Hey everyone thanks for listening and am starting to love you all like sis's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prolly be back in later!!!!!! Hugs til then and hope everyone wakes to a great day!!!
Unread 07-18-2007, 06:34 AM

Gemini3 you are a hoot! I love your posts. You are a rambler today.........I have been writing the craziest emails and that anesthesia stays in us for a very long time I do believe. Reading that post was like 'reading myself' even though my history/surgery/everything is totally different. I am glad you are making progress....the bowels were definitely the hardest obstacle for me to conquer last week. Now it's just the crampiness. For two nights I have prided myself in no pain meds and yesterday I didn't even use the iboprophen. I'm not trying to be the queen of pain, but i hear ya re: being 'clear headed'...whatever that is.. I think it will take time for my brain to clear. I still have trouble concentrating. Can you believe, I think the hysterectomy also surgically excised my desire to watch reality t.v. shows at night. I'm telling you, last night I couldn't stand to watch 'the tube'.......I'm beginning to miss key episodes of shows and i don't even care. Hmmmmmmm. wonder if it was the anesthesia or ???? Right now I'm trying to focus on a book 'your money or your life' that a co worker gave me......................to see life is always better than i paint it.

Take care all my sisters, today, as you continue your healing. I haven't even gone for my first 1/2 mile lap and it is 7:30 a.m. horror of horrors. I'm takin' it easy today!

E.
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:13 AM

I'm having a concentration problem too, especially with TV, I went into this thinking how I would love countless hours of TV without feeling guilty I'm getting nothing else done...

Anyone know why this is with all of us right now? Hopefully it wears off cause TV is my ultimate nightime relaxing thing to fall asleep to...it's basically getting on my nerves...

Wonder is this is just the shock of recovery...hoping it goes away by the time I go back to work cause I am naturally a dip-**** don't concentrate well at work anyway...but work with 2 other girls that are the same way and thankfully we can just laugh at ourselves and eachother..........

Comments from others please..........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register