Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 - Page 23 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Unread 07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Byfaith,
I think that I am going to call the dr. for a refill. I don't see him to next week. I am only taking 2 per day and if I feel bad, I will take advil in between. It is very hard not to use the stairs at all. My dr. didn't even say anything about the stairs. He just said nothing physical at all, which I guess would include the stairs. My check out nurse did say no more than 2X a day. I am going to attempt driving tomorrow or Friday for a short trip. Like I said before, still in jammy's.
On the BM lady: Use MOM. (phillips) I used it day 3 and in about 4 hrs the flood gates open and I haven't had anything else. Just normal movement, peppermint tea and GasX. Better movement than before surgery. Never got the bad gas like in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Post-op one week

Today is my one week anniversary...

I continue feel better each day. My days and nights are mixed up. I stay up late and nap during the day.

My biggest problem with the surgery was the fact that I came home with two lovely attachments: a catheter and a drain. They both are going to be removed tomorrow...can't wait!

I'm hoping that once I get these "attachments" removed tomorrow, I will feel even better. I'm walking everyday...more than I did before the surgery. I'm afraid to get on the scale...I think I've gained weight. We'll find out tomorrow when I put on clothes for the first time.

I had a problem getting a refill with my pain medication. When I called the doctor's office to ask for a refill, the nurse/receptionist didn't know if a refill was allowed. I told her I needed one, I'd just taken my last dosage and I had four hours until I needed more. When I didn't hear back from the office after 2 hours, I decided to visit the office. I had to go there anyway to get the script. The nurse was somewhat taken aback when she looked up and I was standing there in my pajamas (and not smelling very fresh...). There was no record of my surgery. The office was full of patients and I think they wanted to get rid of me...I had a script in my hand in about 5 minutes.

BetsyG
40 yrs old...TAH/LSO 7/11/07...fibroids, heaving bleeding & cramping, ovarian cysts.
Unread 07-19-2007, 02:24 AM

Gemini3,

How funny!! What a great sense of humor you have - we all need a little levity from time to time... thank you for your gift to us. Today is my 13th day post-op and I feel well!! I have been reading so many posts of our sisters who are going through so much with sudden menopause symptoms as I am trying to come to terms with what it is that just happened to me (it was an unexpected surgery...tremendous bleeding but no horrible pain before the surgery. But then I ended up at the ER a week prior to he surgery for pains I thought could have been linked to a badly inflamed appendix. Instead, I had multiple endometriomas in my pelvic area and when the surgeon took a peek inside the decision was simle [for him] to take...) BMs are fine, gas is fine, I have been walking some every day since day 3. The hospital kept me for 5 full days (what a treat!!) and so when I came home I wasn't hardly in any pain. They gave me plenty of meds to take care of an army of hyster sisters... but I don't really need anything other than the iron and the colace. My DH and DD have been absolutely phenomenal and allow me to rest and nap anytime I need to (I swear I'm turning into a cat I'm napping so much....) and they take care of absolutely everything around the house. So far no night sweats, no hot flashes, no tears or anger, libido is still very much there (though for obvious reasons it needs to be put on hold for a few more weeks!!) and aside from the swelly belly (yuck!) and the duck-like walk, I truly feel fine. I have to admit that each day when I wake up I wonder if I will be having any sign of menopause...and then I pray God to be strong enough not to go insane. I would prefer bio-identicals when the time comes, but our one and only pharmacy (I'm overseas) does not mix compounds and so I suppose I'll have to succumb to the synthetic hormone jungle... we'll see... I've resumed my vitamin regimen again (Calcium w/Magnesium, C, D, Flax seeds, Omega 3) and I may add soy isoflavones in a few days. I won't start with the patch until I absolutely have to. Well... that's my going in position anyway... but I I were a betting gal, I'd say the odds of me using the patch in the near future are pretty good, especially if that means I can function at home and at work as normally as I did before this life changing surgery.
Many healing wishes to you and all the other sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 06:16 AM

Hi, my sisters. I haven't checked in for awhile.

To all the constipated gals: water, water, water, and walk, walk, walk. And fiber, fiber, fiber and colace helped me a LOT, plus prunes, metamucil wafers, and oj w/pulp and the walk, walk, walk, water, water, water. Yesterday I did 4 miles I do believe. I did a 1.5 mile walk (3 laps) here at the townhouse complex. I do not take any meds anymore. The last time I popped 3 iboprophen was Monday when I 'cheated' and went to that meeting at my worksite.

Yes, I get crampy but I try to 'walk/water' it out and rub my big swelly belly and b-r-e-a-t-h-e and it helps. I was told I could not get any pain med refill, the directions were stern to me about 'use sparingly' and so I toughed it out (I am not saying you gals should, though. Our bodies are all different. I just know my doc would battle me for a refill and he's right in the end that my key to healing is the water/walking. And some of you had very painful situations going into surgery to be sure).

For those of you w/stairs...my neighbor who had TVH and bladder repair early June had to do stairs to get to her room/bathroom and she says it helped her healing. She was amazing. She drove after one week. I myself must wait until this coming Monday to drive (two week anniversary of surgery). And it's gonna be painful, I know. I am not planning on driving a zillion miles. I will not go shopping and try to lift/drag anything home. In the daytime i try to stay 'busy' w/my laps, phone calls and mindless t.v. or the computer and books/mags bec. i know if not then i will get insomnia at night and/or dwell more on the crampy pains. Some nites I was just taking the pain med to 'space out' and sleep better and I need to learn now how to do it by myself again like pre-surgery. However, I totally relate to all the people who are having trouble sleeping. I kind of toss/turn/wonder 'is it okay to assume this crazy but comfy position' at night?

I also try not to think about my path report appt. next week, as it is super important to me bec. of my CIN3/CIS reason for surgery. I also try not to be angry bec. I'm angry......I felt fine going into surg. and feel like my life has been drastically altered for the rest of the summer......I'm angry the GP didn't do paps on me for 3 years. But I cannot change the past so I try to continually let it go.

Anyway, that's my update. I love to wake up and see posts from all the sisters and today there were none bec. I had not checked in w/you all for awhile. I think of you all quite often and your health, happiness, recovery, ability to take less meds and more warmy sudsy showers (thank goodness I can take a shower each day) are foremost in my thoughts each day.

Have a great Thursday. Is it Thursday? Just kidding. "Anesthesia brain" is also something evil that I didn't know existed, as this was my first surg. ever.

E.

P.S. I wish I had full cable. The British Open would calm me down. I don't play golf, but watching it always makes me feel 'calm' for some crazy reason. It's the only sport I know where people aren't beating each other up to score a point. It seems civil and slowly paced to me. Well, when it's on network I'm going to try and tune in as that will help me, too. Plus granddaughter comes all weekend to 'take care of abuela'............that's sweet.
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:42 AM

Hi fantastic you are so active Hurry dog, shame you overdid it just that bit though, but fantastic news.
I was taken back to the hospital yesterday as the pain was really bad and much worse than 1 day post op. Not really satisfactory as my OB/GYN doesn't speak too much English and just prescribed absolutely everything to cover all likley causes without explaining too much. She did tried to say that as I had adenomyosis it could easily be adhesisions where I have done too much and torn the tissue, also could be infection so should prescribed very strong anti biotic does and vaginal cream...Flagyl and Dalacin..not happy to take either especially as most articles discourage any vaginal preparations.
So, the only good thing is that I am on strong volatin again for the pain which helps but no answers.

I have really bad pain on right side of incision and hard lump underneath and long sausage swelling on top on incision. I can barely get up and down the pain is so bad.

I think I may have torn something as when I first had catheter removed, I was up and down to the bathroom every 20 mins for 72 hours until it all calmed down and may well have pulled something then getting in and out of bed that often and at times very quickly and awkwardly.

Has anyone else had an infection? If so what were your symptoms? Any advice gratefully appreciated. I don't think I have an infection so loathe to take anti biotics. But, of course I may be very wrong.

Had been doing so well and now feel pretty low with it all and frustrated not knowing what is wrong as my Consultant doesn't speak English and is now on holiday. So a locum is covering!

Would love to hear from anyone who has had anything similar.

Hugs xxx
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwight
Gemini3,

How funny!! What a great sense of humor you have - we all need a little levity from time to time... thank you for your gift to us. Today is my 13th day post-op and I feel well!! I have been reading so many posts of our sisters who are going through so much with sudden menopause symptoms as I am trying to come to terms with what it is that just happened to me (it was an unexpected surgery...tremendous bleeding but no horrible pain before the surgery. But then I ended up at the ER a week prior to he surgery for pains I thought could have been linked to a badly inflamed appendix. Instead, I had multiple endometriomas in my pelvic area and when the surgeon took a peek inside the decision was simle [for him] to take...) BMs are fine, gas is fine, I have been walking some every day since day 3. The hospital kept me for 5 full days (what a treat!!) and so when I came home I wasn't hardly in any pain. They gave me plenty of meds to take care of an army of hyster sisters... but I don't really need anything other than the iron and the colace. My DH and DD have been absolutely phenomenal and allow me to rest and nap anytime I need to (I swear I'm turning into a cat I'm napping so much....) and they take care of absolutely everything around the house. So far no night sweats, no hot flashes, no tears or anger, libido is still very much there (though for obvious reasons it needs to be put on hold for a few more weeks!!) and aside from the swelly belly (yuck!) and the duck-like walk, I truly feel fine. I have to admit that each day when I wake up I wonder if I will be having any sign of menopause...and then I pray God to be strong enough not to go insane. I would prefer bio-identicals when the time comes, but our one and only pharmacy (I'm overseas) does not mix compounds and so I suppose I'll have to succumb to the synthetic hormone jungle... we'll see... I've resumed my vitamin regimen again (Calcium w/Magnesium, C, D, Flax seeds, Omega 3) and I may add soy isoflavones in a few days. I won't start with the patch until I absolutely have to. Well... that's my going in position anyway... but I I were a betting gal, I'd say the odds of me using the patch in the near future are pretty good, especially if that means I can function at home and at work as normally as I did before this life changing surgery.
Many healing wishes to you and all the other sisters!
Wow it's great your doing so well!! :smilie5: is'nt it funny how all of us are healing so differently. I feel much better today but I still have such pain with bowls and bladder. I just don't know if it was due to endro blocking my colon or just the fact I had so much going on before surgery.
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM
SunnyBahrain I am going to pray for you

It sounds tough going for you right now. I would be freaking out w/a swelling such as you are describing. Do you have fever? I have no info to help you AT ALL and maybe the other sisters on the site will. I just want you to know that I am going to try and send a lot of positive energy across the ocean to you. Keep us posted. P.S. if the doc thinks you should take the antibiotic it might be good to do it bec. there could be an infection but you just don't know it??? I always sign off even though I know for you this is just not possible right now. Again, I'm rooting for you...................E
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:07 AM

ByFaith...........I think I push tooooo hard. I'm bleeding more today, have a pain here, there, back left shoulder blade and think, 'oh no, heart'.......I am sooo funny at freaking myself out. I've done two miles so far today. The weather calmed down here humidity-wise so I can walk. But today the walking is not as crampy free as yesterday. Sigh. Well, yes, we are all snowflakes, unique in our cases and healing. Right now I'm sending positive energy to Bahrain as I am very worried about SunnyBahrain! Take care sisters. E
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:13 AM
SunnyBahrain I am also sending positive thoughts

I hope things start looking up for you and I am praying for you. Hugs and good energy
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:16 AM

man I am jealous I was in surgery for 9 hours and I remember them taking me into the operating room. That is the first time in all the surgeries that I have had that I was not already knocked out. 2 seconds later I was out for the count and do not rember I do remember ending up in ICU for 2 days and crying like crazy because of how much pain I was in. They stated that my fybroids and other things were attached to my organs and they really had to do some working. My last day of work was June 10th I went for my exam this week and she still will not release me until around the 13th or later of August

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register