Anyone Here With Fibromyalgia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone Here With Fibromyalgia? Anyone Here With Fibromyalgia?

Unread 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Anyone Here With Fibromyalgia?

Just wondering if anyone else here has Fibromyalgia and has your surgery/recovery seemed to flare up your symptoms?

I was fine the first three weeks and now it's flaring up on me. Right now I am tired and trying to nap but its making it impossible to fall asleep.

Not liking my body a whole lot today. Thanks for letting me whine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Hi Jovigal, I'm sorry to hear you suffer from fibromyalgia. I don't have it myself but both my Mom and my oldest sister do. I can only imagine how that must make your recovery worse during a flare up.

Whine away. I don't have any advice as I'm sure you've heard it all but I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

By the way, I read on another post why you call yourself Jovigal. That's funny - I'm a huge fan myself. My younger sister got me earrings with Jon on them for Christmas - she sent away on ebay for them! My family begs me NOT to wear them out ( i don't but I sure do at family get togethers!)

Take care and now you have even more reason to
Unread 07-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Hi Betty,

I am sorry to hear that your mom and sister suffer with Fibromyalgia. Hugs to them and to you too.

Thank you for your reply. After I posted I took a Vicodin. Not what I would usually take for symptoms but I needed fast relief. I ached really bad. Now if I could only sleep. I slept two hours last night. The change in sleeping habits after surgery has me baffled.

Wear you Jon earrings with pride! LOL... how cool of your sister to find those for you. I have gotten to meet him twice. A group of us travel to get together mostly and to see the shows. Im a fan club member. That's what got me through the tough health times, something to look forward to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM

OOOOOhhhhh I am SOOOOO jealous that you've met him and twice! I've never even seen them in concert. That's good that you have the group and the fan club to provide some distraction from your health issues - I know how important that is. It's really important not to isolate yourself. Just like this site has helped us these past weeks, I guess.

I hope the Vicodin helps. The sleep thing is a vicious cycle isn't it? I know how it can really mess things up especially for fibromyalgia sufferers.

I'm just now getting a real good night's sleep without weird dreams. They drove me crazy and when I woke up during the night after a dream, I was afraid to go back to sleep just to dream again. Luckily, that's getting better and I feel more myself this week.

Take care of yourself.
Unread 07-09-2007, 06:27 PM

I too have fibromyalgia. I have been in a flare for a couple of weeks. Having trouble sleeping due to the muscle pain in my legs. OUCH! I also had some healing issues at 4.5 weeks post-op. A seroma (pocket of blood) began to abcess and doctor had to reopen 4 inches of the incision. I am now on a wound vac 24/7 which is probably adding to the stress. What type of "regular" meds do you take for fibromyalgia? My fibro doc had me on amytriptyline for a while but it did not help at all. Have you found anything that relieves your pain?
Unread 07-09-2007, 06:58 PM

Well, we have nore than one thing in common. Yes, I have it also. DR had it under control before surgery, but the last couple of days have been rough. I'm assuming it's a "fibro spell." ?? Sleep has been hard to come by. Hopefully this will pass soon! Until then. . . . .
more sleepless nights!
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyd
I too have fibromyalgia. I have been in a flare for a couple of weeks. Having trouble sleeping due to the muscle pain in my legs. OUCH! I also had some healing issues at 4.5 weeks post-op. A seroma (pocket of blood) began to abcess and doctor had to reopen 4 inches of the incision. I am now on a wound vac 24/7 which is probably adding to the stress. What type of "regular" meds do you take for fibromyalgia? My fibro doc had me on amytriptyline for a while but it did not help at all. Have you found anything that relieves your pain?

My GP gave me Ultram to try for everyday flare-ups. She gave me samples of Ultram 100 mg and 200 mg. The 200mg was too strong for me but the 100 mg works well. So she gave me a prescription for that. Ask your dr for a sample and see if that doesn't work well for you. For major flare-ups she also prescribed Skelaxon. Its a muscle relaxant and that works very well on really bad days. And it doesn't make me drowsy.

The Ultram is non-narcotic and that was important to me as I didn't want to feel like I was "medicated". I hate that feeling.

Excercise was a challange. Too much and it will cause a flare-up but too little and the FM gets worse. I enrolled in an aquatic arobics class at the arthritis center and it was just wonderful. No impact and I could feel the difference right away. I plan to resume the class once I get clearance from my dr to do so.

I really suggest giving the Ultram a try. My GP has FM and knew just what to have me try. I decided I was not being aggressive enough with my symptoms. Regular over the counter stuff just doesn't cut it.
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:27 PM

Thanks jovigal. I appreciate your advice. I will call my fibro doctor soon.
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Hey gals... there was a posting on fibro started last year that I found while trying to get an answer the same question myself. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=297481

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since I was in my early 20's. I've found the best remedy is a 3-legged approach, as my DR (dear Rheumatologist) told me: a) sleep , b) low-impact exercise, c) meds. On a daily basis I take Lyrica (75 mg morning and lunch, 150 mg night), Clonzepam (a.k.a. Klonipin) 1 mg at night, Effexor 75 mg in the morning and Flexeril between 5-10 mg at night. Then if I have a flare-up, I can use Ultracet and/or Skelaxin to help me thru it.

I just had a flare-up yesterday. It was much different that most of my flare-ups. Most are more centered on muscular pain. This one was every joint in my body aching. They ached so badly that I got very nauseated and couldn't walk. If I walked, I fainted. Thank the Lord my Mama was here to help. I think this flare up is more associated with the TVH, because I've been researching the site and have seen other gals with sudden onset joint pain. That compounded with fibro has not been easy, to say the least. Today I'm happy to report I'm much better.

What are your flare-ups like? Have they changed since you went to the castle?

Thanks for the exchange. I've really been looking forward to meeting some folks that are going thru similar experiences.
Unread 07-10-2007, 12:22 AM

Hi N_deinal, I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. But sooo glad you are feeling better today.

I know the TAH surgery flared this up. This flare up has been more intense since the ones prior to surgery. My legs, my hands and arrms are hurting. . But I have the traveling pains also. You know, the ones the hurt one place one second and another place the next. One minute my finger joints are hurting and the next my toes are hurting... etc. The joint pains are driving me really getting on my last nerve.

It sounds like you have a good dr that is aggressively trying to manage your symptoms. Six years ago, the first Rhumotologist my GP sent me to before being diagnosed chalked up my symptoms to needing to lose weight. I finally found a dr that took my pain seriously.

I hope that you continue to feel better and I am glad that you have your mom to help you out. Get lots of rest. I see that your trip to the Castle was just two days after mine.

Hugs to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register