Waiting to see | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting to see Waiting to see

Unread 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Waiting to see

I am new to the site and posted in the pre-op. One of the others suggested I tell my story in here to see if anyone had any suggestion or anything. So I will give my full version of what is going on.....
I started Aug. 2006 with pap test coming back abnormal with biop showing dysplasia. So I had a freezing treatment done with orders to return in 4 months. I again had the same results however this time I had the leep done. Again with ordrs to return in 4 months. This time when I returned I had further problems. Pain and bleeding with sex, and my periods were every 2 1/2 weeks. He did an ultra sound and found a mass in my uterus. The dr. couldnt tell me at the time what it was but gave me options. After discussing with my boyfriend we both thought it best just to go with the hysterectomy. My surgery is July 24th but I am scared because I still dont know what this mass is. The dr has also said he cant really say until he gets in there. Has anyone else been in this situation, or any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Waiting to see

Hello &

The one suggestion I have at this point would be to meet with a gyn/onc (gynecological oncologist). I'm not at all trying to scare you; the mass in question could be perfectly benign. However, with your history and symptoms, I think it would be a very good idea because they are the experts in this field. And, if the gyn/onc does suspect it may be cancer, he/she would be the one you want doing your surgery. It's important to get your treatment off on the right foot, so to speak.

I'm so very sorry you're having to deal with all of this, but you've found a wonderful site full of great info and support.

monami
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Waiting to see

Dear Yeah,

Did your Doctor suggest an endometrial biopsy or a biopsy via a D&C first? I'm just curious?

Is your Doctor suspecting cancer. If so....is he or she a GYN/ONC. Only an expect should do your surgery if cancer is a possiblity.

I don't mean to scare you.... but if cancer is found, only a GYN/ONC can do what is necessary to make the proper staging. i.e. If endometrial cancer is found you would most likely need your lymphnodes sampled and a pelvic wash done. A regular GYN is not trained to do that delicate procedure. Any chance of Ovarian cancer also needs a real expert to do that type of surgery/debulking.

There have been quite a few 'sisters' who have needed to go back and have a second surgery done because an GYN/ONC did not do the original surgery. This is something to be avoided if possible.

That said... if you are having a GYN/ONC doing your surgery, you are probably in good hands. Nothing can be completely determined until surgery is done and subsequent pathology reports are in.

Hopefully, it will all turn out to be something benign. But, you want to cover all your bases, just in case.

I am sure it must be very scary for you. The waiting and not knowing is beyond difficult. Please continue to use this forum for support. Or, to ask questions along the way.

Hugs, Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Waiting to see

Actually until I got on this site this is the first I have heard of a gyn/onc. I know I am having a LAVH done just so the Dr. can see what is going on in case there are things he did expect like endometriosis. Other than that he doesnt seem as concerned about things as I do. I feel like I get that from dotors all the time now.

I do love this site. Someone has answered any question that I have and I have not felt alone like I did previously. So thank you loads!!!
Unread 07-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Waiting to see

dear yeahme2...please read the post which at the moment is a few above yours entitled "now know why radiation" sunrise2. there is very important information there regarding the type of surgery and precautions that should have been taken that you might want to discuss with your surgeon. best wishes to you.
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Waiting to see

If there is ANY chance of cancer, it is VERY important that a gyn/oncologist perform your surgery. It's so VERY important in the outcome and in avoiding a second surgery. Do not let a gyn do your surgery, it's not their field, they aren't the experts in surgery for cancer or pre cancers.

What tests has your doctor done? Has he biopsied this mass? Have you had a CT scan to check for enlarged lymph nodes?

Best,
Janie
Unread 07-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Waiting to see

My doctor has not done any test to see what the mass is. I never told my boyfiend about this web site until today. So I was telling him what you all have said on here and we are going to request an oncologist. Thanks to everyone on here we have probably saved me a lot of problems. Thanks so much to all of you.
Unread 07-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Waiting to see

So glad to hear you're going to see a gyn/onc (make sure it is a gyn/onc, not just a "regular" oncologist)!

Now, you and your boyfriend go have a great weekend!!

monami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register