No Sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
No Sleep

I hope this is the right area to post a question. I had my TVH, Ovaries and tubes removed on April 18, 2007. I started on Estrodiol : 1mg. 3 weeks ago. Can't sleep. Does anyone else have this problem?

Lirpa81
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2007, 05:33 PM
No Sleep

Fatigue and sleeplessness seems to be a common complaint in the early months of recovery. Before my surgery I was always an early to bed, early to rise type of gal. For about the first six months afterwards it wasn't ususual to find me wide awake at 2am! Sure threw my dh for a loop. He wasn't used to heaing me shuffling around the house at that hour. As I moved farther away from my surgery date and closer to hormonal balance my sleep habits returned to normal. Most nights I sleep like a log.

Unread 07-14-2007, 05:46 PM
No Sleep

Kim,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Did you take any hormones, such as Estrdiol like I am taking? And did it help.

Lirpa81
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2007, 09:29 PM
No Sleep

I came out of surgery taking estradiol. I think I started on 2 mg but have balanced out with 1 mg. I, too, had some time awake at night which was very unusual for me. It seems I would always awake at 5 am with a hot flush. So, sometimes I divided my dose and take half in the morning and half in the afternoon so it will last all night.

I really didn't start sleeping well until I added progesterone to my regimen. My doctor would not discuss it or prescribe it so after extensively reading multiple books and research (many suggested here on this site), I chose to use over-the-counter progesterone cream. I usually apply a very small dose 5 to 6 nights a week and I sleep like a rock.

You are very early in recovery and it will take time. I hit a hard bump about 6 months after surgery; I think that's when all my own estrogen was finally used up.

Hang in there!
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:10 AM
No Sleep

Lirpa,
Yes, I was put on an Estradiol patch immediately after surgery. I do think it helped, but I still had symptoms from fluctuating hormone levels and the stress that surgery can put on one's body. Given some time and patience, my sleep patterns eventually returned to normal.
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:52 AM
No Sleep

:wowee: What a shock the insomnia was after surgery! I was unaware that sleep problems were sometimes part of menopause (natural or surgical) until I had my surgery 3/31/06. I did not start hormone replacement until 4 weeks post op. The insomnia was my biggest reason for opting to take replacement. I could fall asleep reasonably well around 10 pm, sleep very lightly for about 2-3 hrs, then awake until about 5-6 am, and doze for about 1 hr. I could not even fall asleep during the day for a little nap. I did all I could during that time to help myself sleep naturally. My hot flashes were mild but frequent, but so mild I should have been able to sleep through them. Finally, I realized that if I was going to return to work (no choice), I would have to try hormone replacement. Hormone replacement has helped but I can easily mess with my sleep if I stay up a little late, or eat late (I sound like an old person now), or alter my routine and it's been over 1 yr. So, what have I hated most about surgical menopause--sleeplessness. I could always fall asleep so easily before, sleep so soundly for hours and wake up feeling much better. I was so unprepared for this, it has really changed my life. I do feel that all things get better with time and this will too. Best of luck to you.
Unread 07-17-2007, 06:58 AM
No Sleep

Lipra81

Sorry for your sleep problems. Insomnia affects all aspects of a person's life. It's awful!!

I've had huge insomnia problems since my hysterectomy. Never had any problems before surgery.

What I learned....If my estrogen dose is too low my sleep/symptoms worsen. When I first started on the patch (a lower dose) it actually made my sleep problems worse. I think it may have been like a "teaser" to my system. Increasing my patch dose made my sleep/symptoms improve dramatically.
At first my NP tried increasing my progesterone dosage but it did nothing to help my sleep because my estrogen dose was too low to begin with.
Reading the book, Screaming to be Heard, by Elizabeth Vliet MD helped immensely. It is a great reference book. She describes how declining estrogen levels affect the normal stages of sleep, especially the stage IV deep sleep. It is critical to have adequate estradiol levels to regain normal sleep.

Trying to find balance can be soooo difficult and takes a lot of patience!! Keeping a journal and tracking symptoms really helps.

Best of luck on your journey! Hope you start sleeping soon.
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:59 AM
No Sleep

Dorsey,

I could have written your reply to me. I didn't start hormone replacement until 6wks after surgery. My doctor assumes its the hot flashes waking me up, even tho I told him they were mild. But like you they are not. They are mild and I'm already awake when they happen!! I am on 1mg of Estradiol daily. I take it before I go to bed, but it doesn't seem to matter when I take it. I still get about the same amout of sleep as you do daily. Not enough! I'm ready to call my doctor again, as I have been on the Estradiol for 1 month. I am not taking any other homone , even tho I've tried Valerian to see if it helped. I did try Lunesta, with the same result of sleeping lightly for 2 hours, then WIDE AWAKE till 5 am. Couldn't fall back to sleep at all.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe one of use will get this figured out.

Lirpa81
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:07 PM
No Sleep

PrettyanxiousL:

Thanks for your reply. I'm only taking the 1mg of Estradiol. Maybe I need something else. My gyn. of 30 years said sleep problems were unusuall. Wonder what planet he has been on. What I'me seeing, is there is alot of us with the same problem.
Keeping a journal seems like a good idea. That way I'll be able to track my symptoms.
'I think I will also purchase the book you suggested. I can use all the help I can get. Thanks again.

Lirpa81
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
No Sleep

Lirpa ...You really have to wonder when Dr's make statements like that! HAS to be a man! Sleep problems are one of the bigger problems in perimenopause/menopause.... anxiety being another. My Gyn says insomnia is her number one complaint with her menopausal clients. Maybe your Gyn is from Mars!

I use the hormone balance sheet off of Dr John Lee's website to help track my symptoms.

I believe Vliet's book helped me the most in understanding what the heck was happening with me.
We have to be our own best advocates and that's through educating ourselves, right?

Best of luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register