Huge fibroids, bladder prolapse - anyone else with the same problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Huge fibroids, bladder prolapse - anyone else with the same problems? Huge fibroids, bladder prolapse - anyone else with the same problems?

Unread 07-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Huge fibroids, bladder prolapse - anyone else with the same problems?

I finally saw the urologist yesterday and he said that if I wanted the sling along with the hysterectomy it was my choice. He said my bladder was slightly prolasped and possibly removing the uterus along with huge fibroids would fix the problem, but maybe not????? I was hoping he would make my decision about the hysterectomy alittle easier, I'm 49 with a bulging belly, some incontinece, periods are alittle mixed up but nothing real crazy, and some spuratic pelvic pain??? Will the fibroids grow, will they eventually cause more more problems , they are already too big to be removed vaginally, I'll need a tah the doc said.Help!!!!!! my DH is behind my decision most my friends say wait til they get worse, maybe i'll go into menopause and they will go away. Confused?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2007, 09:42 PM

I kept hoping menopause would hit and make mine go away, too. But, you're 49 and they're already too big to be removed vaginally? My Dr told me the same thing in the beginning, but I was too far away from menopause to even think about it. I'm now 49. My fibroids turned into the size of tripletts in my uterus before I had surgery. I was at the point of needing blood transfusions----that's all it took, they couldn't schedule my surgery quick enough once he told me that. I didn't have any problem with my bladder, so I'm not quite sure about a bladder sling, but if you're at the point where you need to see a urologist, I'd say your fibroids are getting worse. They sound like they're too big already and they won't go away even if you went through menopause. Believe me----there's NOTHING to the surgery compared to what these fibroids are going to do to you.
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, there's so much to think about. I'm going crazy!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2007, 10:18 PM

Hi Dav58,

I might suggest a 2nd opinion on the urologist.

I had a similar situation. My 1st Dr. recommended a TAH with a bladder sling, due to the size of my fibroids and pressure being put on my bladder at the time. I was having bladder incontinence where I had to run to the bathroom for a trickle. Also, my Dr. added that my bladder would probably not work the same even after I had a bladder sling - which really scared me at the time.

I got a 2nd opinion and he suggested a laparoscopic hyst, after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for the surgery type. He had an opposite opinion about a bladder sling. He smiled and said, "You have a 46-yr. old bladder." Then he told me he felt that after my uterus with fibroids was removed, my bladder would probably work normally. Which it did. I am 3 yrs post-op now and I can hold a full bladder and I stopped having any bladder incontinence right after my hyst.

Hope that helps. I know this is my story so in the end...do what is *best* for you in your case.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Your the second person giving me things to think about. Thanks so much for the reply
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:39 PM

I had similar problems. My surgery ended up being abdominal because of the size of the uterus. I saw a
urologist many times before surgery. My problem with
the sling was that with my strictures in the urethra and
an over sized bladder, the sling can become too tight and cause more issues for you. So, thre is a chance I
will have another surgery down the road. I did not have a prolapse, but the drs. agreed if I had, the sling is a
definite. I have many friends that have had the sling
for prolapse and it was great. Just take your time
recovering! Go for it!
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
They thought it was a fibroid all this time

I have been diagnosed with a very large tumor and for the past 7 1/2 years they thought it was a small fibroid and told me "no big deal". It wasn't. It is a tumor and my uterus is showing pre cancer. They do not know about the tumor yet until they remove it.
Upsetting, since I was going to have them just remove the fibroid and leave everything else. Now everything has to go. It grew a very large amt. in the past year. That is what triggered them to look at it further.
My periods were so heavy, I was getting unable to leave the house. Working became very difficult and always carried a change of clothes. I gave up dating and was becoming a loner.
I now have no choice. Please someone out there tell me what to expect with loosing everything.
What are the down falls and what is the good news. I am very sad and do not have anyone to talk to about all this.
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:57 PM

Gosh I'm really sorry for you. I hope all goes well, and I appreciate the reply back to me, I thought they could tell for sure if they are fibroids
Unread 07-14-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav58
I finally saw the urologist yesterday and he said that if I wanted the sling along with the hysterectomy it was my choice. He said my bladder was slightly prolasped and possibly removing the uterus along with huge fibroids would fix the problem, but maybe not????? I was hoping he would make my decision about the hysterectomy alittle easier, I'm 49 with a bulging belly, some incontinece, periods are alittle mixed up but nothing real crazy, and some spuratic pelvic pain??? Will the fibroids grow, will they eventually cause more more problems , they are already too big to be removed vaginally, I'll need a tah the doc said.Help!!!!!! my DH is behind my decision most my friends say wait til they get worse, maybe i'll go into menopause and they will go away. Confused?????
I have had fibroids for as long as can I remember, Doctors have kept an eye on them for years. I have one that has over taken the uterus-about 12 weeks. I am perimenopausal (4 years)doctors have said if it wasnt for other problems I have, I might be able to hold on till menopause because fibroids stop growing and shrink after that time. Take your time and research,best wishes
Unread 07-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Mine is NOT a fibroid. That is my issue.

I have been dealing with numerous doctors since Feb. 2007. I need to talk to people about what is the effects of everything being gone.
I cried yesterday when I had to sign all the papers for the surgery. I am not taking this lightly AT ALL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register