Lots and Lots of questions....Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots and Lots of questions....Help Lots and Lots of questions....Help

Unread 07-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Lots and Lots of questions....Help

Hello out there...I just joined and would like to say hello. I am 40 yrs old and need to have a hysterectomy. I have 2 Aunts that have had female cancer. 1 had ovarian cancer and the other cervical cancer. They were 56 and 59 when they died.There is one more Aunt that we were told had female cancer also but I have not been able to confirm that one. SO because of this my doc wants to take both ovaries....This has in turn filled me with lots of questions. I researched it and Im so glad I found this web site...to be able to get a respond from someone who has been thru this first hand...

questions...
How bad is it with a total hysterectomy at age 40 ( taking ovaries too) ?
What can I expect after surgery?
What will happen to my sex life? To be frank, I'm a very ****** person. My husband and I are very active in this dept.
What about Orgasms?
I have read alot about dryness and what is the best way to combat this?
I am very hot headed( bad temper ) will this effect this, my doc joked and said to start a bank account for just bail money...lol ?
HRT what are the ups and downs of this?...I hear it has other bad effects on you

Sorry for so many questions. I have read so many web sites but they are mainly from what doctors say...I need first hand help...Thanks in advance for all your help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM

Hi MysticAngel
Welcome!
I am sorry to hear about you Aunts.
Well on May 29th I had a TVH took everything left cervix. Now just remember everyone is different.
1. My hyst. wasn't to bad I went in in the morning had surgery and home before lunch the next day.
2. My surgery went well I did have pain but I did not have any cutting on my tummy. I couldn't drive for 1 week no sex for 6 weeks no lifting other than 1 gal. of milk no going up and down stairs no laundry no vacuuming just rest and relax
3. All depends on when dr releases you and what type of surgery you have.
4 That depends on you as the person
5. Lubrecating ointment ect.?
6. I am on HRT patches that I change every week and it does help me I do not get hot flashes or night sweats.
But remember to always ask you dr for any medical advice
I hope I helped alittle.
Take care.
Unread 07-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Hello MysticAngel,

I, too, am so sorry to hear about your Aunts passing at such a young age.

I had a TAH but kept both ovaries. Because there was no history of cancer in my family and I've always had clean paps to date, I told my doctor to look at them and if they were in good condition to leave at least one. This worked well because I didn't have to be thrust into surgical menopause.

In your case I'd probably opt to have them removed due to your family's history. I'd also opt to go through the changes without meds, but that's just my opinion. My mom never used any and did fine. Some of the ladies I've come to know - in the post op sense - have had difficulties getting their meds adjusted. Speak with your doctor, he or she can give you options.

Like you, I was concerned about sex. It's fine!! It was a bit unnerving at first, but little by little things were back to normal without worry of 'hurting anything'. I was concerned that my BF would feel something different and he said he doesn't. We, also have a great sex life and I was really concerned it would change. Now we never have to worry about me getting my period and I don't miss it at all! As far as lube goes, KY is great. We actually used it before because it kind of enhances the natural stuff!

You'll be fine.........I was terrifed right before my operation, but all went well. I stopped taking presciption pain meds after two days and was solely on motrin. The worst day was day number 2 because your body needs to get rid of gas and your insides are still getting back on track. That was painful and a crappy day, but after that it was all up hill!

Thinking of you!

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticAngel
Hello out there...I just joined and would like to say hello. I am 40 yrs old and need to have a hysterectomy. I have 2 Aunts that have had female cancer. 1 had ovarian cancer and the other cervical cancer. They were 56 and 59 when they died.There is one more Aunt that we were told had female cancer also but I have not been able to confirm that one. SO because of this my doc wants to take both ovaries....This has in turn filled me with lots of questions. I researched it and Im so glad I found this web site...to be able to get a respond from someone who has been thru this first hand...

questions...
What will happen to my sex life? To be frank, I'm a very ****** person. My husband and I are very active in this dept.
What about Orgasms?
I am very hot headed( bad temper ) will this effect this, my doc joked and said to start a bank account for just bail money...lol ?
HRT what are the ups and downs of this?...I hear it has other bad effects on you

Sorry for so many questions. I have read so many web sites but they are mainly from what doctors say...I need first hand help...Thanks in advance for all your help....
I am sorry to hear about your Aunts, I hope that you never have to deal with those issues yourself.

1. I cannot answer, as I was 28 when I had my TAH and BSO.
2. You can expect to be sore and very tired. Swelly belly and hot flashes and mood swings are not uncommon hun, so just take it as it comes. hugs!
3 and 4. It depends on you as a person. I waited a little over six weeks(had drs ok) to have sex. I found that my libido went up some, and that orgasms were easier to achieve. They were not as long, but did get stronger then pre hyst.
5. Not having any ovaries puts you into instant menopause.(Or, if you are plus sized as I am, starts you on the road to meno very quickly. Hormones can be stored in our fat cells so plus sized women have some that hang around longer.) This surgical menopause can create hot flashes mood swings, temper tantrums(lol) etc. These to shall pass with time. In the mean time, expect to "lose it" sometimes, its all part of the game so to speak.
6. Women that have a risk of certain cancers should not use HRT therapy. PLease ask your DR about this. He/she will know whats best and be able to provide you with the proper treatment or lack there of depending on your body and family history.
I hope this helps you out some. Good luck hun and remember to realx and let others pamper the princess.
Unread 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Hi!

If you have some time, please check out our Hysterectomy Checkpoints for some great information. I think you'll find that your questions are all addressed.

I know you're probably sick of reading this, but many of your questions ("how bad is it", etc.) are just about impossible for us to answer, as we have all had our own experiences. I can answer how it was for *me*, but that may or may not have any relation to what happens to you.

There are lots of products on the market for lubrication if that becomes an issue (it doesn't for everyone). The Hyster Sisters store even sells one.

As for sexual response after surgery, you'll get every answer from "It's the best thing I've ever done" to "My sex life is forever ruined." I'm not trying to be dramatic here -- there really is that big of a range of answers. The key is that if you and your doctors have determined that a hysterectomy is the best option for you right now -- after exploring and/or trying everything else -- you need to be aware of the possible drawbacks and complications, but go ahead and have the surgery and face those that arise. The majority of women do well after hysterectomy (as with all other surgeries) but there is a percentage who either have serious complications or who trade one set of problems for another.

As far as your temper... well, join the crowd for that one. Having this surgery won't make your temper any worse, but hormonal fluctuations can and do have an impact on it.

I do have to put in my for what it's worth, however. I would not remove healthy ovaries. Yes, you have some family history, but the chance of developing ovarian cancer is still very, very low. Of course, it's your call and I don't know your entire medical history. But be aware that surgical menopause is sudden and it can take a long time to find the right hormone replacement therapy if you decide to go that route. Again, the Checkpoints have lots of information about HRT.

Hope this helps.
Unread 07-15-2007, 09:19 PM

I'm very sorry about your aunts.

i'm 41, had uterus, ovaries, cervix removed.
i'm very happy with my decision. i see no use for ovaires except to produce estrogen and mine was very low (perimenopause before hyst)

-everyone's different. i had little pain and appeared "normal to eveyone which isn't wise... they expect you to do what you used to do as you look so well)

-nobody knows till you get there.
What about Orgasms?

-mine was as before, maybe a little better. (that's just me though)

-haven't dealt with that yet.

- i never had a temper until menopause. that's again, just me. you may not not have menopause to the degree i did, then again you may have it more intense.

-you should get on line and read about this, ask dr., pharmacist. some woment can't do HRT.
it keeps my menopause symptoms under control, most being just a little noticeable. my big problems are still insomnia and memory. everyone's different though.

i am personally glad i had my ovaries removed at the same time. i read other women had a hyst, then later down the road had to go back in and have their ovaries removed, and that it was worse than their hyst.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register