Confused, Hot, and 28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused, Hot, and 28 Confused, Hot, and 28

Unread 07-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

To any of you lovely women who could offer some advice to me, it would be greatly appreciated. I joined this website today and have read for hours, what a great place, but I am in need of your help.

I am 28 and the dr has recently given me a complete hysterectomy (but I don't know the fancy way to abreviate like most of you). I have nothing left uterus, ovaries, etc. Originally thought to have ovarian cancer like my mother, the dr cleaned me out, but actually turned out to be endometriosis.

I went to the dr for HRT which she gave me but told me that the endometriosis could grow back, now I don't want to take it. Can any of you tell me is this true? What are my options?

I am hot, but can deal. I have the vertical incision from belly on down, no biggie....but I don't want to do this again so I need to make sure I do things right.

Also can anyone tell me: how do I prevent osteoporosis?, will I age faster if I don't take HRT? will I get heart disease? will my vagina dry up, I read where this poor girl had sex and started hemmoraging?

Can you tell me why any of you have chosen no HRT?

I am so lost, any advice from any of you ladies would be so appreciated...I read alot of the websites but nothings better than your personal experiences....thank you and bless you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpascuzzo
To any of you lovely women who could offer some advice to me, it would be greatly appreciated. I joined this website today and have read for hours, what a great place, but I am in need of your help.

I am 28 and the dr has recently given me a complete hysterectomy (but I don't know the fancy way to abreviate like most of you). I have nothing left uterus, ovaries, etc. Originally thought to have ovarian cancer like my mother, the dr cleaned me out, but actually turned out to be endometriosis.

I went to the dr for HRT which she gave me but told me that the endometriosis could grow back, now I don't want to take it. Can any of you tell me is this true? What are my options?

I am hot, but can deal. I have the vertical incision from belly on down, no biggie....but I don't want to do this again so I need to make sure I do things right.

Also can anyone tell me: how do I prevent osteoporosis?, will I age faster if I don't take HRT? will I get heart disease? will my vagina dry up, I read where this poor girl had sex and started hemmoraging?

Can you tell me why any of you have chosen no HRT?

I am so lost, any advice from any of you ladies would be so appreciated...I read alot of the websites but nothings better than your personal experiences....thank you and bless you!

I chose no hrt because of a prior cancer. It was not the right decision for me. I had endo, and I wouldn't have been able to take it because of that anyways. Hormones feed it, and so yes, it can grow back. There are creams such as premarin that only coat the vagina with hormones so that the vagina stays soft and supple. The general thought is that it is not absorbed through out the body, so it doesn't grow endo. I cannot say for sure that doesn't though this is what I have heard. You can try some herbal remedies for your hotness such as black cohosh or a soy supplement (cannot say brand names sorry) . You can find those at most health food stores. With both of your ovaries gone, I would suggest asking your Dr for a baseline dexa bone scan. It is kinda like a fancy xray and is non invasive I promise. You should be starting on a osteoporosis medication that prevents it from occurring.(I take one and am glad to be) You are young like me(i was 28 at the surgery time) and we young ones must protect our bones at all costs. Also increase your milk drinking, this provides much needed calcium and vitamin d that our bones and teeth need to stay strong. I also take a supplement that has calcium and vitamin d in it to give me even more. Your body can never get enough is how my DR put it. be sure to take them together as the vitamin d helps calcium be absorbed properly. I cannot answer you about the heart disease yet, I haven't had time to think about that one lol. As for the vagina drying up, you could ask about the premarin or try using replens, they both coat the surface and help prevent dryness, which brings me to my next point lol. Be sure to use lots of lube(silicone is great!) if you are having intercourse, it helps keep everything from getting hurt more. Something else that most ppl on here do not mention is that if you are not sexually active, but will someday, it is important to "keep it open" so to speak. After my hyst I had to use a vaginal dialator so that I stayed the same size and it was not uncomfortable for my husband to penetrate me.(we all can lose elasticity with no hormones) I know that maybe tmi, but it is important. Lastly, I am not sure if we age faster or not. I use a good body cream for my skin, apply sunblock to my body and drink lots of water. I think thats important for good health anyways. I know this post may be a little confusing, and I am sorry. I really hope this helps you out. HUgs, and I as well as other sisters here are always there if you need us. You can pm me if you ever need anything. I am 29 now, almost one year out, and have been where you are going, lol. Jenn
Unread 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
thank you

Thank you for all your kind words. Your suggestions are great and have helped me tremendously. Bless you for taking the time to write, it is truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

I enjoyed answering you. Those were all questions I had after my hyst, but unlike you I had not found this place yet. I wanted to make sure that you knew, because it took me months to find them out on my own. hugs 2 u, Jenn
Unread 07-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

Check out the book The Premature Menopause Book by Kathryn Petras. It really helped answer a lot of my questions, which were pretty much the same as yours. I read and am still reading other books about menopause but they assume I'm my mom's age. I felt really alone right after my surgery and this site has been such a blessing. Good luck to you!
Unread 07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

Thank you!!!! I thought I was the only gal under 30 on here! I'm 28 and I had a total abdominal hyster, with removal of both ovaries, tubes, and lymph nodes. I had a large mass on right ovary, elevated CA 125....the frozen section came back as inconclusive, so I'm waiting on the pathology reports to find out if it's cancer, endo, or ?????. Just got out of hosptial yesterday. I've been feeling a little hot every now & then, but nothing I can't deal with so far. If this is all the menopause symptoms I have, then I'd prefer to avoid any HRT, maybe try some herbal remedies. I didn't think I'd be having to consider this sort of thing so soon, but you probably didn't either! Thanks for your posts! Very helpful to know that we're not alone
Unread 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

Holly Ann, I hope you get a good report!! The waiting is so hard. I hope your transition to menopause goes well too. Things were pretty rough for me for a time, but I think I'm getting it under control. I can't take HRT, but I'm taking black cohosh which helps a lot.

I love the verse in your signature! That thought has really been the big thing that's gotten me through this. DH and I really wanted to have children (a trip to a gyn about our infertility eventually led to my TAH/BSO) and only the knowledge that God's got a plan for us has gotten us through this. I don't know why I had this surgery and am now in menopause at 30, but I do know that He'll lead us in the right direction.
Unread 07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

Holly Ann,

Hang in there chickie. I saw you are from Shippensburg, I'm not to far away in Punxsutawney. My CA125 was elevated too, but turned out I had endo. Don't sweat it too much but keep us posted on how you are. I'm also 28 so don't worry there are alot of us young ones on here too. I just had a TAH/BSO five weeks ago, so hang in there and you'll be well soon!
Unread 07-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Confused, Hot, and 28

Hi kpascuzzo - I've never been into Punxsutawney, but I've been over in that neck of the woods a few times. I have family in Altoona and Clearfield. I've lived all over the US, but I love it here in PA, it's home.
Thank you for your words of encouragement! And I have Good News! My doc called on Saturday with the pathology results. The tumor was borderline malignant, somewhere in the grey are between cancerous & non-cancerous, but it was intact & all the other biopsies on uterus, lymph nodes, etc were clear. So I don't need to do any chemo!
He said there is a slight chance of this coming back, but it's so small that we're not going to consider it. I'll probably do a follow up CT scan in a year just to make sure. I am so happy & my family was celebrating too.
I haven't had too many more menopausal symptoms, maybe 1 or 2 warm flashes a day, and I've had some trouble getting to sleep, but I can deal with these things. I'm on my way to a full recovery!
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:26 AM
fantastic

That is so great to hear. Congratulations. There's nothing better than getting good news. I can remember I cried when I found out, it is such a weight lifted off.

I love PA too. We take trips to clearfield every so often. They have a great hunting place for my husband and a nice antique store for me. It's only about an hour away so it makes for a nice day trip.

I am so happy for you and your family!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure they are so happy. Keep in touch

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register