Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 - Page 13 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Unread 07-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 16-Jul 23,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancymel
2 days back from the castle and let me warn any who proceed do ot read this is you have tremendous anxiety about going in...
I really think I had normal anxiety..showed up Friday morning...........got prepped and ready for TAH at 11:00am...came out and was happt to have the magic buton i have read about about but for some odd reason, Morphine does not work on me so I was switched to Dilaudid...and tha worked fine....
as the day progressed however..my vitals were really bad and despite the button I had tremendous back pain...so much so the tears were running down my cheeks...(let me say now..I am not a wimp.. 3 boys and a German husband...gotta be alittle tough)
So they observed me over several hours and my urine became very concentrated..like the color of orange kool aid..yuck...
It was exactly at this moment when a representative of the local catholic Parish offered my communio..he must have been at least 85 and very frail and I could see he was scared of me...he blessed and and said" i hope God finds you soon"..which aounds very nice but it totally freaked me out even more...
Then my surgen came and and said they had to go back in...all my bolod work showed I was losing blood yadda yadda.....long story short at Midnight they wheeled me in for emergency sugery and found 1 1/2 liters of blood which they drained and then they did some more things to fix me up....woke up in intensive care and was there for 2 nights and in the hospital total of one week....
i will not even get in to my discussion of the very serious inconsisitency of care with the hospital staff...I had some nurses who i will always remember as being part of saving my life but more who I am so thankful they did not kill me! really scary stuff...anyone else have to write a ltter after surgery ....who do i write it to? It is really bad..

Dr wants me to have a colonoscopy on to see if I have something going on in my colon and that is what happened...or contributed?

i am trying to rest and after this email will read a little and try to sleep as my father and DH install a new bathtub and my mother rocks my baby to sleep next door and my other ds play on the computter...but i realize now How fragile I really am and i intend to take my recvery seriously...
Today is actually the 1st day i really ate in a week too.....andI love food...
gas has been pretty bad but i am doing gas x and my babys glycerin suppositories which work haven't had a really good BM yet though....

thanks for listening...

Melani
Please take it very easy and have a peaceful recovery, what a very scary experience you have had. My thought are with you.
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Wowee. Melani, you need some comic relief SOON. And a good BM to boot. I hope both will happen very soon for you. Keep taking those stool softeners and eat as much dried fruit as you can without getting too gassy. If you stew some dried fruit (prunes, apricots, etc) with honey and a little cinnamon, you can nosh on that throughout the day and it will give your stool softeners something to think about!
I will think all sorts of positive thoughts about your recovery taking a turn for the better. Rest up, drink lots, and let others wait on you hand and foot!
Cathy
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:06 PM

Wow, I am soooo sorry to hear about your experience. I work in a hospital (where I recently had my LSH) and we constantly work on processes to improve patient safety and care. We (the hospital) like to keep our customers and we (the customers) have a choice in our healthcare! Directing your letter to the CEO and cc'ing the CFO and COO will get some attention, and probably help you process emotionally.

Glad you're still kickin, hang in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancymel
2 days back from the castle and let me warn any who proceed do ot read this is you have tremendous anxiety about going in...
I really think I had normal anxiety..showed up Friday morning...........got prepped and ready for TAH at 11:00am...came out and was happt to have the magic buton i have read about about but for some odd reason, Morphine does not work on me so I was switched to Dilaudid...and tha worked fine....
as the day progressed however..my vitals were really bad and despite the button I had tremendous back pain...so much so the tears were running down my cheeks...(let me say now..I am not a wimp.. 3 boys and a German husband...gotta be alittle tough)
So they observed me over several hours and my urine became very concentrated..like the color of orange kool aid..yuck...
It was exactly at this moment when a representative of the local catholic Parish offered my communio..he must have been at least 85 and very frail and I could see he was scared of me...he blessed and and said" i hope God finds you soon"..which aounds very nice but it totally freaked me out even more...
Then my surgen came and and said they had to go back in...all my bolod work showed I was losing blood yadda yadda.....long story short at Midnight they wheeled me in for emergency sugery and found 1 1/2 liters of blood which they drained and then they did some more things to fix me up....woke up in intensive care and was there for 2 nights and in the hospital total of one week....
i will not even get in to my discussion of the very serious inconsisitency of care with the hospital staff...I had some nurses who i will always remember as being part of saving my life but more who I am so thankful they did not kill me! really scary stuff...anyone else have to write a ltter after surgery ....who do i write it to? It is really bad..

Dr wants me to have a colonoscopy on to see if I have something going on in my colon and that is what happened...or contributed?

i am trying to rest and after this email will read a little and try to sleep as my father and DH install a new bathtub and my mother rocks my baby to sleep next door and my other ds play on the computter...but i realize now How fragile I really am and i intend to take my recvery seriously...
Today is actually the 1st day i really ate in a week too.....andI love food...
gas has been pretty bad but i am doing gas x and my babys glycerin suppositories which work haven't had a really good BM yet though....

thanks for listening...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi and happy healing

Hi Girls, now I'm up to date with all your stories. Even though I had the LAVH op on 17th I been too tired to spend too much time on the PC. I'm just amazed how reading, doing crosswords and having a shower can leave me so tired.

Am really pleased my Dr was able to do the lap instead of ab surgery and the pain I've had isn't as bad as the fibroid cramps anyway.

Recovery's been going well and I'm pretty well off the meds now (even though I was sent home with heaps!). Have had a few days upstairs because just going up and down them once a day was too much. Hopefully will resume tomorrow.

DH has been fantastic and the cat's been great company.

Hope everyone's feeling and healing well.
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:44 PM

Yes, I am in process of writing a letter to the hospital, addressing it to the President/CEO. I spent 5-1/2 hours on the gurney in recovery. Then it took 45 minutes just to get a cup of ice chips after having nothing all day in recovery. Not to mention more poor nursing care then good. I know in all professions there are people who are not into their jobs, but I suffered needlessly because of it. Maybe my letter will get another woman her ice chips, or keep another woman's IV from getting twisted not delivering meds, and that would make me happy!
Unread 07-28-2007, 11:19 PM

I am almost two weeks post-op. Plan to go back to work on Monday. I guess I am big time in denial.. mostly act like nothing ever happened.. I feel about the same as I did before the surgery.. always in pain..nothing new .. except my anger at my doc.. want to find a new one.

I feel like he made his big sale, told me how much better I'd feel if I had surgery.. got his money.. then ran for the hills. He wasn't there my discharge date or at my post-op appointment. I just saw a nurse who told me my incision looked infected and "to keep an eye on it" and it'd take 3 months to get over the surgery. I called them 4 days before that and told them the incision didn't look right and I needed someone to look at it. They brushed me off and said they'd see me when I had the appt.

I complained at the hospital about them not managing my pain.. filled out a survey and told them to get rid of the sadistic witch they had in the recovery room who just stood there and did nothing as I begged for help.. asked me "What did you expect? You just had surgery".. guess my doc must have not liked it.
Unread 07-28-2007, 11:29 PM

This is my first post since my op. I went in on Thursday 07/19 and came home Sunday 07/22. I went to the doc on the 24th. and got my staples out, they did put the strips on. The pain is getting better, but I am going nutts not able to drive, I've been stuck in the house since I came home. I go back to the doc 08/02, they said I can drive, but can't do anything for atleast 6 weeks. I do cry, I feel like I'm hollow down there, theres nothing left. I just really hope the Endo didn't go any further, I will get the full report Thursday, I was out of it when the doc came in the next day.
Unread 07-28-2007, 11:43 PM

Holy moly. I feel awful for you KMarque and Melani -- full of frustration -- something has to be done!! I'm glad chirpy could suggest who to write a letter to. But great gods, we're supposed to be allowed to recover, not have to wind around and around about appalling dr and hospital staff. Maybe personal physicians or your own gyns should also be told so that they can be sure NOT to recommend the dr/hospitals in question?

take good care, you're stronger than they are
Nancy
Unread 07-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Increased Vaginal Bleeding

Had my LAPVH on 7/18. Everything has been going very well until this morning--
I am having a darker more blood-like vaginal discharge, and a bit of increased pain. I plan to call the doctor tomorrow first thing and find out if it is anything to worry about. The discharge for the last week or so was very light brownish/yellowish and not much at all--was only wearing a panti-liner. Has anybody had this problem post-op???? I am concerned--I was doing so well and I have not been doing too much physically, I have taken it very easy. Help!!
Unread 07-29-2007, 08:42 AM
hospital care

Oh dear sisters!
I am hurting for you and your awful experiences. This surgery is difficult enough, physically, spiritually, mentally, financially and emotionally without the angst of a poor hospital stay.

My little town in northern Wyoming may not offer top surgeons and world renown medical staff, but it did offer a quiet, private room with some wonderful professional people. I was treated like a princess. Just got my bill so I will have to pay for that luxury. Never-the-less, at least I won't have to submit payment with a protest.

I am sorry for your horrendous treatments. You willingness to share helps the rest of us put our experiences into perspective.

You must be real survivors and tough ladies. Hats off to you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register